Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Question on faulty fridge being replaced

jam_hod

jam_hod

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We have had issues with our fridge since collecting our new Ocean last month and the dealer has said they cannot find anything wrong but will replace the fridge for me anyway.

Basically I had to turn it up to 6 or 7 to get it to start then it never cuts out even if turning it right down and freezes everything. Or it will start and then the yellow fridge light on the centre roof console goes out after a short time and the fridge isn't on.

Dealer says all fine.... definitely not though.

Anyway they called last week to say fridge has arrived and they need my California for 3 days....this worries me as when I spoke to the mechanic who was supposed to be the California master engineer he said it's just a couple of screws and then the fridge lifts out, so I'm not sure what to think, I don't really want a VW Caddy van for 3 days as our California is our daily drive.

So is 3 days right for a fridge swap out?

We have had issues with our fridge since collecting our new Ocean last month and the dealer has said they cannot find anything wrong but will replace the fridge for me anyway.

Basically I had to turn it up to 6 or 7 to get it to start then it never cuts out even if turning it right down and freezes everything. Or it will start and then the yellow fridge light on the centre roof console goes out after a short time and the fridge isn't on.

Dealer says all fine.... definitely not though.

Anyway they called last week to say fridge has arrived and they need my California for 3 days....this worries me as when I spoke to the mechanic who was supposed to be the California master engineer he said it's just a couple of screws and then the fridge lifts out, so I'm not sure what to think, I don't really want a VW Caddy van for 3 days as our California is our daily drive.

So is 3 days right for a fridge swap out?
No.
They probably don’t want to schedule it into the workshop and just fit it in as and when. Inconveniencing You but not them.

Thanks for that, I'll be calling them tomorrow then to see what they say as thought it was excessive.

Seems a long time to change fridge. i took mine out and repaired earth shunt, replaced fridge in 6 hours.
The pre facelift model is more difficult to remove the fridge than later models, as sink work top needed removing as well

Sadly that's not it, they couldn't really properly explain and gave a number of reasons which kept changing as I asked more questions.

First it was that they always add 2 extra days onto any jobs with California's as they are complicated.

Then I said but it's just fridge swap, can you confirm 3 days is necessary, then he went and checked with the engineer and said the job will take most of 1 day as they need to take all kitchen apart and it is complicated, so they still need it booked for 3 but if done early they will let me know.

I then said could I possibly have a 4 seat courtesy vehicle as I need to cart the children around and they said they have nothing else and they will try and prioritise the job to complete it first when it goes in. To which I said surely it is booked in and so will be done right away anyway, so then they said they may have a 4 seater they'll let me know!

I'm beginning to get concerned......

Thats the problem with the Cali, we have to deal with Van centres
it just never clicks with the people who book it in what an expensive
vehicle it is.
So they just say-yeah take the Caddy.

I would be concerned too. Sorry. My fridge was changed under warranty, left it with them for a day but told it was only a couple of hours work. Couple of screws either side and comes out as a complete unit, plug and play. Certainly dont let them take the kitchen apart.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm tempted to stay with it for the day and work from their waiting room!

I had mine replaced as wasn't working from new either- mine was dead no life at all.....they damaged the silver edging taking it out or putting it in. Just watch for interior damage!!

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for any damage too. Really shouldn't have to be worries about these things should we.

Had mine replaced under warranty just after picking it up - was there for 2 days in total; diagnosis on day 1 and fitted the new fridge on day 2. As said above they certainly didn’t mention taking my kitchen apart to replace it, sounded like a pretty simple swap.

Do they need need to diagnose your fault first?

They did say it was really rare for one to fail that’s so new - it apparently had no gas - however it sounds a little more common than they made ou

They have already had it in for the daily, but said they could t find it, however I do t honestly think they knew what they were doing. I explained the daily again to the engineer and he said ok doesn't sound right we'll replace the fridge then.

Fridge replaced, too dark to check for any fitting issues but I'm still not convinced it's right.

So I switch on the control panel, I then press the fridge button it's on setting 3 so I press the fridge button again and it goes back to the main screen and the fridge button is now yellow, the fridge does not kick in and the digital thermometer I've bought and hung on the rack in the fridge is reading 9.7c.

I thought regardless it should have kicked in, even if setting 3 wasn't high enough to need it cooling down from 9.7c (I think it should be though?). If I turn it up to setting 5 it kicks in, which is where I've left it overnight to see what temp it gets down to....

What ambient temperatureis in the van ? Assuming 9.7c. Might be worth putting the heating on in the van to get the ambient above 15c and let it settle then see if the fridge switches on and off. Low ambient temps can play havoc with fridges and freezers unless they are designed for it. I dont know if the cali one is or not. Maybe your overnight test will prove it to be fine. Have a read of this. https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help...93-fridges-a-freezers-in-garages-or-outhouses

So I left it on setting 5 and this morning it was reading 2.9c and the fridge wasn't running but the yellow light was still on and the battery was at 90% so something had been running.....will leave it on and see what happens.

So I left it on setting 5 and this morning it was reading 2.9c and the fridge wasn't running but the yellow light was still on and the battery was at 90% so something had been running.....will leave it on and see what happens.
That seems about right. The compressor will start when needed.
The coldest part of the fridge is the rear wall base. That is where the heat exchanger cojls are. Anything against the rear wall is likely to freeze. That's where I keep the gin and whiskey.