Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New - RCD330 Carplay

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Having used our rcd310 dab for a couple of years with a separate Garmin Sat Nav, I fancied changing the head unit to something that looked more up to date but was put off by the rns 315 because or poor sat Nav function and expensive map updates and also the 510 which receives mixed reviews.

We were given a loan Ocean whilst our SE was in for the roof repair and really liked the look and function of a large touch screen. The cost of an upgrade was too expensive for us until I discovered the RCD330.

This head unit is not available in any European model, probably because it doesn't have CD drive, however, CDs are not exactly an up to date format so figured we could live without this option given all our music is on a phone or iPad.

The head unit has a huge 6.5" screen, has Apple car play, reverse camera input, sd card slot and most importantly an integrated Bluetooth phone system with built in microphone. It will even play videos from YouTube so the kids will be happy.

Having successfully fitted it in less than 30 minutes tonight I am blown away by the functions on this VW head unit for an unbelievable low price.

We may miss DAB, but Tune-in seems to work brilliantly on car play so maybe not.

There are various variants on eBay, we went for the latest b version and got it quite a bit cheaper on auction instead of buy it now. Most are sent from Far East, ours came from a seller in the UK so didn't even have tomoayvthe import tax.

Happy Days, just want to Jailbreak my iPhone now increase functionality even further.

Any questions, do let me know.

That looks fabulous and I'll probably drop one on our T5, once we buy it.

Is it Android Auto compatible?

I assume plug and play too, so parking distance works fine.

Yes ios or android. Would love to try a Jailbreak iPhone as you can use all apps not just the CarPlay approved ones.

This may be the answer to my prayers but I will miss DAB, tunein is great but as I discovered recently if you use data based streaming I use my 12gb a month up within 2 or 3 weeks.

Do the reversing sensors work with it?

Any changes need making via VCDS etc?

Last edited:
We don't have optical parking sensors or a multifunction steering wheel but understand they do work.

I think the only issue we may find with this unit is the lack of RDS so retuning FM may become a bit annoying.

Drove to Wollacombe on the weekend and tested the new rcd330 on route.

Great to have CarPlay at our fingertips particularly for maps and Apple Music. The FM reception was poor in some rural places so switched to Internet radio, which worked well but think we will miss DAB sometimes. Could always fit a Pure DAB receiver in the glove box I guess and wire it though the AUX lead.

Looking forward to IOS 11 for CarPlay as there are some significant improvements to the maps and navigation.

Bluetooth integration worked well and the inbuilt microphone was clear at the other end of the call apparently.

Peppy Pig on route went down well with the two little ones and saved a few "Are we there yets"!

So to conclude, excellent upgrade with lots of new toys at a very low price, will need to monitor data usage if we use internet radio in poor reception areas on a regular basis.

Rear camera next I think!

Drove to Wollacombe on the weekend and tested the new rcd330 on route.

Great to have CarPlay at our fingertips particularly for maps and Apple Music. The FM reception was poor in some rural places so switched to Internet radio, which worked well but think we will miss DAB sometimes. Could always fit a Pure DAB receiver in the glove box I guess and wire it though the AUX lead.

Looking forward to IOS 11 for CarPlay as there are some significant improvements to the maps and navigation.

Bluetooth integration worked well and the inbuilt microphone was clear at the other end of the call apparently.

Peppy Pig on route went down well with the two little ones and saved a few "Are we there yets"!

So to conclude, excellent upgrade with lots of new toys at a very low price, will need to monitor data usage if we use internet radio in poor reception areas on a regular basis.

Rear camera next I think!
Great review, I'm definitely up for one as we pretty much only listen to Spotify, installation easy enough?

Took half an hour. The only difference is the aerial, the old radio had a double fakra, the rcd 330 has a single.I simply connected the double to the single but you can buy adapter cables.

From what I understand, there are 3 versions, model B with App button is the latest.

Andrew.

Last edited:
1. Remove dash tray panel from top of dashboard, I used a wooded kitchen slice around the edges to avoid scratching plastic etc but you can get trim removal tools.
2. Remove radio / heater control trim panel by removing two T25 screws at top and then work around edges with a pull and the above wooden kitchen slice.
3. Remove radio by removing 4x T25 screws (1 in each corner). Remove Fakra aerial and quadlock connector.
4. Fit new radio and replace trim by simply pushing on.
5. The RCD330 radio doesn't require a security code.

Simples.

Fitted the RCD 330 (B) this afternoon after receiving it from Vag Tec. I have to say that the fitment was really easy as @Ajspicer said in previous posts. I love the functionality it brings for a reasonable price. The test will be this weekend as I head to North Wales for the weekend.

It is plug and play and the parking graphic is working. Also, the MFSW buttons work for the phone and scrolling through Apple Music. The only thing I can't seem to get working is the graphic when adjusting the Aircon, this might be a coding thing.

Overall, pretty chuffed!

Hi Maverick,

Pleased to hear someone else has got one and working well, are you using an iPhone or android?

Fitted the RCD 330 (B) this afternoon after receiving it from Vag Tec. I have to say that the fitment was really easy as @Ajspicer said in previous posts. I love the functionality it brings for a reasonable price. The test will be this weekend as I head to North Wales for the weekend.

It is plug and play and the parking graphic is working. Also, the MFSW buttons work for the phone and scrolling through Apple Music. The only thing I can't seem to get working is the graphic when adjusting the Aircon, this might be a coding thing.

Overall, pretty chuffed!
Hi Maverick,

Pleased to hear someone else has got one and working well, are you using an iPhone or android?

Does your aerial on the back also only have one fakra connector instead of two?

We don't have steering wheel controls but pleased to hear it works well.

Are you going to fit a camera avoid the Agro of routing the cables?

Andrew.

Hi Maverick,

Does your aerial on the back also only have one fakra connector instead of two?

We don't have steering wheel controls but pleased to hear it works well.

Are you going to fit a camera avoid the Agro of routing the cables?

Andrew.

I use the iPhone 6 with it and looking at IOS 11 preview, i hope the map improvements are as good as marketed, although i may consider Jail-breaking to enable Google Maps if i don't get on with it as you mentioned in a previous post.

Being able to access my music in an easy and continuous way is the biggest benefit for me.

Yes the aerial has one connection but again, following your experience it slotted in the 'key-way' connection easily enough and the radio works fine. Well, in my drive anyway.

I'm not planning to fit a camera, although I've had them on some hire cars in the US i don't really feel the need for it.

We're planning a Euro trip next year so that will put it through its paces. If you venture first let me know. Thanks again for the original review.

Google maps is the only option on Android so I assume it will work ok?

I'd assume that you'd get more available apps on an Android connect as there is less restrictions on software etc. I've got plenty of Android buddies if you want a definitive answer @RodCouncil ?

I was very close to replacing mine for one of these. I gave this solution some thought whilst I was away in Scotland, the lack of data and reliable DAB there were food for thought on my setup.

Whilst we were away data in West Scotland was a rare beast. Relying on data for my satnav would have left me without satnav at all. I do have Copilot on my phone which has downloaded maps. I couldn't have streamed any music (only played downloaded) but to be fair DAB and even FM was flaky once we got out of the towns anyway.

Does the app connect function give access to any satnavs that include downloaded maps? That would be my only reservation really relying on data. Can apple maps be downloaded for offline use?

Not sure about Apple users but if you use Android Auto you can choose between Google Maps (which allows you to download maps for use when offline) and Waze (which doesn't have a proper offline feature but if you plan your route in advance it will save the map in the phone's cache).

Apparently Apple maps can be used in offline mode and big improvements are expected with the release of IOS 11 tomorrow. We have a dash mounted Garmin should data be a problem. This head unit will never be perfect for everyone but functionality and original VW style for £150 did it for us. We are keeping our 310 Dab for whoever we sell the vehicle to in the future.

Yeah other than DAB which didnt work for us in Scotland, as long as offline maps are doable then this is a winner everytime.

Can apple maps be downloaded for offline use?

If you have a data connection and set a destination to get a route, Apple maps will download everything it needs to get you there, but that's it, so it's pretty limited really.

Apparently, Apple Maps is much improved in IOS11, but I haven't seen that yet, so I don't know if it works better offline.

Has anyone with one of these established if the aux-in socket in the glove box works with the unit? I'm looking at ways you can add a dab 'fix' using that socket, (rather than trailing cables to the front aux-in socket.

Also, I'm looking at the mirror link 330 units on ebay which often go at £100 ish. (Android user). Any obvious flaws in going that route? Priorities are streaming music via bluetooth, legal phone calls. My MW Radio 5 live isn't impacted by the lack of RDS on FM, but you can see the step up in sound I'll get going from MW to DAB at some point.

Last edited:
Back