Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Finding a high-level reversing camera

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I have a T5.1 SE and fitted an RCD330+ head unit a little while ago. I have no problem parking with the OPS and beeping most of the time, but when I have the towbar-mounted bike rack on I seem to lose all sense of how long the vehicle is (always overestimating). I'm struggling to find a camera that can be mounted at a high level and therefore allow me to see over the rack, instead of a number plate height one being blocked by the cover which goes over the bikes. There's this, but it's not very subtle:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0725QWJR8/?tag=eliteelect-21

Has anyone seen anything else that might work? It must plug into the back of the RCD330+ (I don't want any second screen faff). I think someone mounted one somewhere inside the rear screen, but we sleep in the van a lot and I'm not removing a camera each time I want to pull the blind down. Ditto sticking something to the back of the cupboard - it'll just get knocked off during use. Any suggestions gratefully received!

I have a T5.1 SE and fitted an RCD330+ head unit a little while ago. I have no problem parking with the OPS and beeping most of the time, but when I have the towbar-mounted bike rack on I seem to lose all sense of how long the vehicle is (always overestimating). I'm struggling to find a camera that can be mounted at a high level and therefore allow me to see over the rack, instead of a number plate height one being blocked by the cover which goes over the bikes. There's this, but it's not very subtle:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0725QWJR8/?tag=eliteelect-21

Has anyone seen anything else that might work? It must plug into the back of the RCD330+ (I don't want any second screen faff). I think someone mounted one somewhere inside the rear screen, but we sleep in the van a lot and I'm not removing a camera each time I want to pull the blind down. Ditto sticking something to the back of the cupboard - it'll just get knocked off during use. Any suggestions gratefully received!
Amazon Link is for Barn doors so wont be suitable for Cali tailgate, but assume they do a different version.

Just chop the cable at the number plate (or wherever you would mount the camera for normal use), fit a waterproof connector and mount the camera. Then make up an extension lead with similar connections long enough to allow mounting on the back of the bike rack.
Simple.

Amazon Link is for Barn doors so wont be suitable for Cali tailgate, but assume they do a different version.
Thanks, that's me having too many tabs open. The tailgate version seems to be the same physical unit sold by multiple sellers:

Back