Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RCD circuit breaker swap out

D

dbradley55

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Help ! I believe I have a faulty RCD unit on my California T5 and I am struggling to remove the old one. Access is through the hookup window (once the hook up 3 pin has been removed). The RCD seems to be held in by some sort of metal spring clip but I am reluctant to force anything (particularly as I am operating blind once my arm is in there). Anyone removed one of these and has any suggestions?

IMG_9278.jpeg

IMG_9284.jpeg

access is through the wardrobe, grey plastic panel comes out.

Thanks - but it seems reluctant to budge. Does it come free with the circuit breaker attached ? I can’t tell what is stopping it as all 4 edges appear free. There are two rivets in the panel which seem to hold a metal harness in place which in turn holds the RCD I think. The resistance seems to be nearer the top of the panel - is it secured in some way I cannot see ?

IMG_9289.jpeg

Last edited:
ah - the panel has come free but the RCD still seems to be securely held in place by the metal cage which is riveted to the grey plastic panel.

IMG_9290.jpeg

I'm guessing the rivets will want drilling out.

ah - the panel has come free but the RCD still seems to be securely held in place by the metal cage which is riveted to the grey plastic panel.

View attachment 124129
May get away with just removing 1 rivet off the metal bracket is not too thick and replace with another rivet or small nut and bolt.

Why, out of interest do you think it’s duff? (This is going to be good!)

Why, out of interest do you think it’s duff? (This is going to be good!)
Elimimated all of the alternatives - however……one of them was the campsite pillar connection. I tried two separate pillars (with seperate cables) and neither worked so I concluded the fault was in my van. Surprise surprise - I connected at home today and everything works. The only explanation is that both connections on the (German) campsite pillars were faulty. What are the chances of that. Thanks for your help everyone.

I’ve been caught like that several times. I plug a polarity tester in first to make sure they are working. Glad to hear it wasn’t your camper at fault :)

Very unusual for an rcd unit to be faulty, much more likely to be something you’re plugging in. however you can buy a small plug in rcd tester that are simple to use. They sell them on Amazon for £12 ish. Alternatively ask an electrician to give it test for a cup of tea.

Back