Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

rcd310 out, rcd510 in.

tuono001

tuono001

VIP Member
So following some research on here I decided to upgrade, as I wanted dab. Managed to source an rcd510 for reasonable money and bought a dab aerial of ebay. An hour and half later I now have dab, 6 cds and an sd port.
WP_20150210_007.jpgWP_20150210_006.jpg
One thing I didn't know was that you have to check which side for the aerial sticks, hence mine being upside down, oh well.
One thing to note for others is make sure that you remove the cd from your old head unit, otherwise it's back to the van and do it again:rage

Good upgrade - I don't the the RCD510 is actually spec-able on a new Cali.

But I think it is a good stereo - you get the sexy colour screen - plus the ability to hold loads of music on the 6 CDs - I assume you can play MP3s of those CDs?

Given that the RNS510 sat nav is so slow - I think it is a good middle ground.

How is the windscreen mounted DAB aerial working - do you get a good signal?

T

T

My RNS510 works great, maybe it's subjective, but no problems with speed on mine,

Try using nav on your phone.

I do use the RNS510 in the van simply because it is fully integrated - but it is definitely showing its age.

Also real time traffic updates on your phone is a real bonus.

Good upgrade - I don't the the RCD510 is actually spec-able on a new Cali.

But I think it is a good stereo - you get the sexy colour screen - plus the ability to hold loads of music on the 6 CDs - I assume you can play MP3s of those CDs?

How is the windscreen mounted DAB aerial working - do you get a good signal?

T
Not tried the aerial any where yet, other than outside the house, though it seemed to pick plenty of stations up.
The rcd510 is just standard vag car spec. I have the equivalent in my Skoda, bar dab, and it's great. You can have an entire music collection via sd card or mp3 player.

Try using nav on your phone.

I do use the RNS510 in the van simply because it is fully integrated - but it is definitely showing its age.

Also real time traffic updates on your phone is a real bonus.
Yes I agree with this, I normally use my phone but the van came with the RNS510; I couldn't believe how unresponsive it is to screen input, or how dumb the speech recognition is.

I think it is the start up time, and the slow response when entering the address which is most annoying. When you are going it is fine.

So took the cali out for a drive and test the dab, now the airbag error message has appeared and I can't get the aux input to work. I didn't touch anything related to the airbag except to unplug the switch and plug it back in, also the aux bit was untouched.
Any ideas, thoughts.

So took the cali out for a drive and test the dab, now the airbag error message has appeared and I can't get the aux input to work. I didn't touch anything related to the airbag except to unplug the switch and plug it back in, also the aux bit was untouched.
Any ideas, thoughts.
I had the airbag problem when I fitted a bluetooth / iPod adaptor to our previous Cali a few years back; I had to take it back to the dealer who reset the airbag for me. I think the battery should be disconnected when fiddling about with the wiring to prevent this happening!

Regarding the aux input; I haven't used this on ours but I note that there is an option in setting to enable / disable it, so maybe it needs to be enabled.

I suspect you turned ignition on with switch unplugged which will give airbag error.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Andy is right - if you turn on the ignition when you have the airbag warning light unplugged (when fitting the stereo) then it will log as an error. A dealer / or anyone with VCDS can reset this in 2 mins. Where abouts are you?

T

I did switch the ignition on when I swapped over. I'm in Notts so can get to somewhere that can reset it, but it's going in for service work soon so it can wait.
I don't understand why it doesn't reset once it recognises it's all plugged back in!
Thanks for the help.

it's going in for service work soon so it can wait.
Not too long though, I understand that if the light is on, the airbags are disabled ...

I don't understand why it doesn't reset once it recognises it's all plugged back in!

Because it is registered as a fault & the airbags may then not work correctly so this is the safe way for it to work.

I am going to swap the RCD310 for an RCD510. Is it just plug and play? I have specified bluetooth and parking sensors so does this need to be coded?

I can't help with regards to the bluetooth part as I didn't bother about it, but yes plug in and the unit will ask for it's code. Parking sensors work as normal with a better display than the 310.
One thing I did notice is dab sounds better than fm! Easy swop as it's standard VW unit.

Think you will be OK, as you already have Bluetooth so the van already knows it is there. You would need to do coding if it was the RNS510 to tell the van you have GPS, but for an RCD510 you should be OK.

I can't help with regards to the bluetooth part as I didn't bother about it, but yes plug in and the unit will ask for it's code. Parking sensors work as normal with a better display than the 310.
One thing I did notice is dab sounds better than fm! Easy swop as it's standard VW unit.

There are various versions of the 510, do you know the part number of the one that you have been successful in fitting please? I am thinking of fitting one in place of a 310 in a T5.1.

Rod

Thank you for all the replies. Seems like it will be straightforward. I am going to get the unit from VAGTEC. but I do not know part number. I just saw it on their ESOP website and they have a forum discount.

There are various versions of the 510, do you know the part number of the one that you have been successful in fitting please? I am thinking of fitting one in place of a 310 in a T5.1.

I don't know the part number as I didn't look when I installed it. I think it was out of a golf originally but was then in a skoda before our cali.
Sorry I can't be anymore helpful.

Back