Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Re-located Tyre inflation kit.

GillianC

GillianC

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Got irritated with the tyre inflation kit being strapped to the side of the under seat drawer. The clip broke off and it limits what you can put in the long section of the boot.
Unstrapped it and was going to put it in my plastic box at the back. But no, suppose I took the box out and forgot the kit? Disaster.
Found an excellent place to put it - the safe :) Fits perfectly and will always be with the van. The bonus is that I found a nice bottle of rose hiding in there!

Got irritated with the tyre inflation kit being strapped to the side of the under seat drawer. The clip broke off and it limits what you can put in the long section of the boot.
Unstrapped it and was going to put it in my plastic box at the back. But no, suppose I took the box out and forgot the kit? Disaster.
Found an excellent place to put it - the safe :) Fits perfectly and will always be with the van. The bonus is that I found a nice bottle of rose hiding in there!
Don’t lose the key. Spares are like Unicorn p**.

How on earth do they think you can be helped with a tyre inflation kit (including that whit/yellow blubber?).
I am so glad I have one of these:

Doesn't matter how it looks, it gets me home at normal speed, without limitations, or it must be the profile of the tyre.
I always have it with me, I don't need a spare key, I don't have to unload stuff to get entrance to it.
All that pseudo aid kits are total rubbish.
What if you have a blow-out tyre? You can try to put in the whole bottle (including the bottle itself) to fix the tyre.

Oh dear! Can you get new ones cut? If so I will do so....
Took me a long time to find a locksmith that could. It’s not the cutting it’s getting the correct Key Blank.

How on earth do they think you can be helped with a tyre inflation kit (including that whit/yellow blubber?).

View attachment 47004

Doesn't matter how it looks, it gets me home at normal speed, without limitations, or it must be the profile of the tyre.
I always have it with me, I don't need a spare key, I don't have to unload stuff to get entrance to it.
What if you have a blow-out tyre? You can try to put in the whole bottle (including the bottle itself) to fix the tyre.

Agree but I will call VW assist and they can deal with it! Have no desire to change wheels.

View attachment 47004

What happens if you get a 2nd puncture before the 1st is repaired?
Those kits do have a place if you wander the backroads or visit less populous countries.

Will be on the case.....
If the key has DIRAK on one side and a number on the other side starting with a 3, and you have problems then send me a PM.:thumb

What if you just used your kit? Normally you will have to put all the blubber in your tyre, hoping your tyre is now temporarily safe to drive at very low speeds, to the nearest tyre shop where they will probably sell you a new tyre because of the blubber that is put inside.
Or you suffer from 3 punctures and a blow-out?
What if...
What if...

With a blow-out, I am back on track in less than 15 minutes. Good luck with your kit.

Changing a wheel is nothing to ring VW assistance. I won't wait for that. Just lift up your van on the wheel side. Unscrew the 5 bolts, place the spare wheel, srew the 5 bolts and I am off again.

What if you just used your kit? Normally you will have to put all the blubber in your tyre, hoping your tyre is now temporarily safe to drive at very low speeds, to the nearest tyre shop where they will probably sell you a new tyre because of the blubber that is put inside.
Or you suffer from 3 punctures and a blow-out?
What if...
What if...

With a blow-out, I am back on track in less than 15 minutes. Good luck with your kit.

Changing a wheel is nothing to ring VW assistance. I won't wait for that. Just lift up your van on the wheel side. Unscrew the 5 bolts, place the spare wheel, srew the 5 bolts and I am off again.
But after all the stress I place odds you will not find a bottle of rosè in the safe

Reminds me I should look for one of these and a small inflator.

But after all the stress I place odds you will not find a bottle of rosè in the safe
That is very true.
As much as I like to spend my holidays in France, I don't drink wine. I drink beer (of course), champagne, porto, wodka, rum, ... But I don't like "regular" wine.

Oh, and I don't have a safe!
But talking about rosé, you'd better store that in the fridge!

If the key has DIRAK on one side and a number on the other side starting with a 3, and you have problems then send me a PM.:thumb
I do have both these things so will try our local locksmith and PM you if no joy. Thanks for your help.

Agree it gets in the way strapped to the side of the seat; ramps live there. Popped it under the drivers seat, fits a treat along with hi viz vests and easy access if needed.

Agree it gets in the way strapped to the side of the seat; ramps live there. Popped it under the drivers seat, fits a treat along with hi viz vests and easy access if needed.
Great idea! Will look tomorrow. Then there will be room for hidden wine supplies in the safe again :D

I put mine under the bonnet in the space next to the battery. There’s a few other things there too.

Taken the lock off ours. Complete faff locking and unlocking.
Agree that the lock was such a faff.
In preparing for one of our trips Mrs C was complaining about how awkward it was and could it be removed, so Never having yought of that option until then I went to look.
Opened the safe, saw how the lock was held in, a clip - not even a nut. So I took a knife from the drawer, used the handle to lever the clip out and then took the lock out of the hole. Almost as quick as typing this.
It is still a very useful space but so much easier to access, and it can be reinstalled at a later date if necessary almost as quickly.

Taken the lock off ours. Complete faff locking and unlocking.
Exactly. So useful for Important, seldom used Documents. Hidden and difficult to access. - Perfect.

If you don't have a key, then you don't have a spare safe, then the moment you need that spare you'll find it has been stolen... :) (especially if you have been to Legoland)

Last edited:
Is the black polystyrene holder for the repair kit supposed to have 2 sides? I took ours off to inflate my trailer tyres 10 months ago, then didn’t replace it and now it only has one side.

Is the black polystyrene holder for the repair kit supposed to have 2 sides? I took ours off to inflate my trailer tyres 10 months ago, then didn’t replace it and now it only has one side.
Mine has only one.

Back