Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Realistic Expectations

CalNicRen

CalNicRen

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi folks,

I am still on the lookout for my ideal Cali but really struggling to find the right van. I’m beginning to wonder if I have unrealistic expectations.

Looking for a T6, 4 seater beach with grey/dark interior, silver or red with multi function steering wheel. I’ve got a healthy budget and have been on here for months & on the VW website but they all seem to be cream interiors which just won’t work with a dog and 9 year old. The 3 seater version does not suit. The summer is looming and I’m beginning to think I might not get a van as the numbers on sale seem to be reducing all the time.

Anyone got any ideas or do I just need to adjust my expectations? With a trade in I have almost got enough for a new Beach Camper but don’t fancy waiting a year for delivery!

Great forum btw guys, so much good advice.

I was going to say the same, most people with dogs use some type of seat covers so don’t let the that colour put off, could even get them retrimmed.
When buying 2nd hand you tend to have to make a compromise, I have never had the colour van I set out for on any of my vehicles.

When I was looking round for my beach, a few years ago now, I went for what spec the van was over the colour inside or out. All done with the knowledge of having 3 kids seat covers were going on.
Only last Thursday my youngest vomited whilst driving home. Once home whipped the car seat out and wiped/washed everything that had been hit. Never gave the seat a second thought because I had the cover on. (Black Inka covers for reference)
When it's time to sell all will be good.

Cream seats here, the very first purchase after the Van was Inka seat covers (grey).
Which provide excellent protection from the Dog and Teenager.

If it helps you can also get the multifunction steering wheel retrofitted. I wanted a parking heater but in the end opted for a van without and retrofitted as the van I found was 3 yrs old, had never been slept in and had 5k on the clock - comparable priced ones had 30-40k on the clock and didn’t have that brand new car smell!

The 4 seater T6 only comes with the light interior. We have the VW black waterproof covers and teenager and dog. They work for us. Focus on the spec rather than colours. For example, do you want a parking heater? That was the number one extra for us.

If it helps you can also get the multifunction steering wheel retrofitted. I wanted a parking heater but in the end opted for a van without and retrofitted as the van I found was 3 yrs old, had never been slept in and had 5k on the clock - comparable priced ones had 30-40k on the clock and didn’t have that brand new car smell!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I did not know you can retrofit the multifunction steering wheel so I will go and research that now. I currently have a VW golf gti and it has all the buttons. Never thought I would use them when I first bought the car but you get used to it being there and now feel as though I would really miss it.
I am really looking forward to updating my status with California Beach instead of ‘looking to buy’.

Thanks again, great forum, full of really kind people.
Callum

I was looking at possibly retrofitting a MF steering wheel recently. It doesent need to be a whole replacement wheel, the buttons are available to fit to your existing wheel. The right hand stalk that has up/down and reset for the info also needs to be deactivated/replaced as those features are now on the wheel ~£350 fitted.
On the seat colour requirement I have in the back of my mind that a 4 seater Beach with black upholstery was never an option from new on the T5 or T6. The Black was only available on the 3 seater rear bench. (happy to be corrected is someone has a 4 seater beach in black interior trim).

I was looking at possibly retrofitting a MF steering wheel recently. It doesent need to be a whole replacement wheel, the buttons are available to fit to your existing wheel. The right hand stalk that has up/down and reset for the info also needs to be deactivated/replaced as those features are now on the wheel ~£350 fitted.
On the seat colour requirement I have in the back of my mind that a 4 seater Beach with black upholstery was never an option from new on the T5 or T6. The Black was only available on the 3 seater rear bench. (happy to be corrected is someone has a 4 seater beach in black interior trim).

I think you’re correct. I’ve never seen a 4 seater in black. Only the 3 seat bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you’re correct. I’ve never seen a 4 seater in black. Only the 3 seat bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep as I posted you cannot get a 4 seat Beach with dark interior.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I did not know you can retrofit the multifunction steering wheel so I will go and research that now. I currently have a VW golf gti and it has all the buttons. Never thought I would use them when I first bought the car but you get used to it being there and now feel as though I would really miss it.
I am really looking forward to updating my status with California Beach instead of ‘looking to buy’.

Thanks again, great forum, full of really kind people.
Callum
These guys can retro fit just about any VW extra

have a look at the Website

Hi, I see you are just along the road from us:) You have probably already thought of this but if you register for updates with Autotrader most days you will get alerted to new vehicles coming on and maybe find the right one:thumb

I look at the VW Vans approved used stock list when I'm looking for a new vehicle.

I recently fitted the forum shop GTI covers in my 4-seat Beach as the pale grey interior marks from even with a few raindrops when opening the door - ridiculous for a camper. I also have a black carpet from Germany in mid & rear, with heavy-duty rubber mats in the front.

My compromises on spec were to buy Approved Used over the phone for instant availability, but without a heater (retrofitted since) and in Acapulco Blue (got used to it & now a fan).

I recently fitted the forum shop GTI covers in my 4-seat Beach as the pale grey interior marks from even with a few raindrops when opening the door - ridiculous for a camper. I also have a black carpet from Germany in mid & rear, with heavy-duty rubber mats in the front.

My compromises on spec were to buy Approved Used over the phone for instant availability, but without a heater (retrofitted since) and in Acapulco Blue (got used to it & now a fan).
Hey hirsty, do you have a link to the black carpets you bought? I’ve had real trouble finding a decent carpet for the back of our 4 seat Beach.

We did the same as you by ordering Approved Used over the phone. Compromises? Yes. I really wanted LED headlights but at £4K to retrofit , it’s too much. I am considering fitting the front fogs and folding mirrors though.

I was going to say the same, most people with dogs use some type of seat covers so don’t let the that colour put off, could even get them retrimmed.
When buying 2nd hand you tend to have to make a compromise, I have never had the colour van I set out for on any of my vehicles.
I have two GSDs and grandchildren. My seats covers are from Overthetop , they supply seat covers for all sorts. Excellent quality check o it the web sites.

You can find companies that will make seat covers in many materials including leather. I did this on my old SE Cali as I had three dogs and light beige would have been trashed pretty quickly.

These are the ones I put in

Hi folks,

I am still on the lookout for my ideal Cali but really struggling to find the right van. I’m beginning to wonder if I have unrealistic expectations.

Looking for a T6, 4 seater beach with grey/dark interior, silver or red with multi function steering wheel. I’ve got a healthy budget and have been on here for months & on the VW website but they all seem to be cream interiors which just won’t work with a dog and 9 year old. The 3 seater version does not suit. The summer is looming and I’m beginning to think I might not get a van as the numbers on sale seem to be reducing all the time.

Anyone got any ideas or do I just need to adjust my expectations? With a trade in I have almost got enough for a new Beach Camper but don’t fancy waiting a year for delivery!

Great forum btw guys, so much good advice.
When I commented to a friend that black metallic pearl was never my preferred colour for my newly-acquired, pristine 2005, he responded, "Doug, when you're driving it you'll never see or notice what colour it is." Find a prime vehicle, buy some seat covers and take colour off you check lisy.