Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear damper replacement - OEM, or go stiffer?

GreatResigner

GreatResigner

Done sending emails
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi, I have just had an MOT done which brought out an advisory that one of the rear dampers is “misting”. I guess this is just something to keep an eye on for now. I have looked at the replacements Bilstein do and am pondering whether to go for a straightforward OEM replacement (B4 looks to b like for like) or go for a B6 one which Bilstein customer service tell me is stiff but not sporty.

Noticed the Heritage Parts also offer aftermarket OEM replacements at more reasonable prices than the Bilstein ones. Are the Bilstein worth the extra wedge, I am wondering? And is a B4 good enough, or would the bit extra for a B6 be a better idea?

Has anybody on here got any experience of replacing the rear dampers on a T5? What did you go for in the end and what made you go for that in the end? Have you been pleased with your choice?

Hi, I have just had an MOT done which brought out an advisory that one of the rear dampers is “misting”. I guess this is just something to keep an eye on for now. I have looked at the replacements Bilstein do and am pondering whether to go for a straightforward OEM replacement (B4 looks to b like for like) or go for a B6 one which Bilstein customer service tell me is stiff but not sporty.

Noticed the Heritage Parts also offer aftermarket OEM replacements at more reasonable prices than the Bilstein ones. Are the Bilstein worth the extra wedge, I am wondering? And is a B4 good enough, or would the bit extra for a B6 be a better idea?

Has anybody on here got any experience of replacing the rear dampers on a T5? What did you go for in the end and what made you go for that in the end? Have you been pleased with your choice?
Are you contemplating replacing all 4 or just the rear 2.
If just the rear 2 I, personally, would go OEM or equivalent.

There is no version of the Cali that needs stiffer damping!!

Are you contemplating replacing all 4 or just the rear 2.
If just the rear 2 I, personally, would go OEM or equivalent.
Just the rear two, I guess. Heritage Parts a doing a Meyle version that is a lot cheaper than the Bilstein version. I have not used Meyle parts before but guess that they must be ok if Heritage are going with them.

@GreatResigner Hi I fitted the Bilstein B6 and new OEM springs on the rear of my 2010 T5.1 4Motion about a year and a half ago and it vastly improved the handling. I chose the B6's due the the extra weight of the 4Motion, if yours is not 4Motion go for the B4's.

As far as I understand, b4 is fine, Koni special active for increased comfort as well as improved handling.
H&R arb really help too, although that’s getting expensive.
T32 rear springs (gray stripes) really help and it’s a cheap upgrade, I believe CRS sells them used or gives them away.

B4 and stiffer T32 rear springs is really good and keeps costs down.

As far as I understand, b4 is fine, Koni special active for increased comfort as well as improved handling.
H&R arb really help too, although that’s getting expensive.
T32 rear springs (gray stripes) really help and it’s a cheap upgrade, I believe CRS sells them used or gives them away.

B4 and stiffer T32 rear springs is really good and keeps costs down.

Better and cheaper to fit uprated ARB first, and then decide if you still need to replace springs / suspension.

Back