Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for a mechanical polisher please

Scrubbed a little too hard at the number plate ?

Nice Job, lovely colour
I find it only takes a few light strokes to get rid of those irritating marks on the number plate!

Thanks, colour is Bamboo Garden Green, which I don’t think is an option on the 6.1. If I am honest when we were looking the colour name put me off and I almost didn’t go a look at the van - really glad we did though.

Hi Grumpy which £50 Da polisher did you buy? do you have a link for the Amazon one please?
If you do end up getting a DA polisher, I would be really interested to hear what you think and see some pictures of the end result

Another vote for the Das-6.
I was new to all of this a couple of years ago, but have used this machine on 5 cars/vans with great results.
Easy enough for a beginner to use and it works wonders in taking out minor scratches and then bringing the paint work up to an impressive smooth finish.

016F6675-E7D2-4AE8-ACAB-613762CF6606.jpeg

Another vote for the Das-6.
I was new to all of this a couple of years ago, but have used this machine on 5 cars/vans with great results.
Easy enough for a beginner to use and it works wonders in taking out minor scratches and then bringing the paint work up to an impressive smooth finish.

View attachment 58106
Looks great. I like the look of the Da6 pro but they are out of stock everywhere. After you had polished your van did you use the Das6 Pro to apply a wax and buff it?

Looks great. I like the look of the Da6 pro but they are out of stock everywhere. After you had polished your van did you use the Das6 Pro to apply a wax and buff it?
After this I applied a a coat of Gtechniq CSL and then EXO v4 by hand. Very easy to do, with impressive beading and sheeting.
I’ve since had the wheels off and coated them too with some GTechniq stuff too.
(One blessing of being stuck at home!)

I think you can get the Das-6 Pro Plus menzerna intro kit - no idea what the difference is though apart from about £40

I think you can get the Das-6 Pro Plus menzerna intro kit - no idea what the difference is though apart from about £40
Yes I have seen that model. Except its a 21mm long throw. Which can be tricky for beginners.
My paint is pretty good just want something to make waxing a buffing easier and quicker.

Yes I have seen that model. Except its a 21mm long throw. Which can be tricky for beginners.
My paint is pretty good just want something to make waxing a buffing easier and quicker.
Likewise. If/when you do get one it would good to hear what difference it makes.

I see the DAS-6 pro Menzerna kit has been back in stock. Did you buy one in the end and if so, how have you got on with it?

I see the DAS-6 pro Menzerna kit has been back in stock. Did you buy one in the end and if so, how have you got on with it?
Funny you should ask. I managed to get a DAS6 Pro and used it this morning with a Rupes Yellow Pad and Sonax Perfect finish.
After 5 years I only need to enhance the clearcoat . I have a few very light swirl marks which only show up in strong sunshine.
So I taped off half the bonnet and very gently did a few passes to see how it worked out. I was extremely gentle not wanting to cause any damage probably too gentle as although it improved I want to go a little further.
Will have another go soon and post how things get on. The DAS6 Pro was quite pleasant to use.

Funny you should ask. I managed to get a DAS6 Pro and used it this morning with a Rupes Yellow Pad and Sonax Perfect finish.
After 5 years I only need to enhance the clearcoat . I have a few very light swirl marks which only show up in strong sunshine.
So I taped off half the bonnet and very gently did a few passes to see how it worked out. I was extremely gentle not wanting to cause any damage probably too gentle as although it improved I want to go a little further.
Will have another go soon and post how things get on. The DAS6 Pro was quite pleasant to use.
I will be interested to hear and see (if you can post some photos) how you get on. What made you choose the Sonax product?

I will be interested to hear and see (if you can post some photos) how you get on. What made you choose the Sonax product?
Ok an update on the DA Polishing.
I used the Das6 pro. With a yellow rupes pad and Sonax perfect finish on half of the bonnet. After the last 5 years I have some very minor swirl marks.
Had a couple of very gentle goes at it. Slight improvement probably because I was doing it very lightly. Then used a slightly stiffer Blue Hex logic pad. This very gently removed more than 90% of the swirl marks.
I then broke out the Autoglym Super Resin Polish and the yellow rupes pad and did the whole van. Its only supposed to be used for hand polishing but I thought I would use the DA.
Very happy with the results it brought the gloss back to life.
I will use the Sonax again for any deeper swirl marks.20200709_180939.jpg

20200709_180955.jpg

Ok an update on the DA Polishing.
I used the Das6 pro. With a yellow rupes pad and Sonax perfect finish on half of the bonnet. After the last 5 years I have some very minor swirl marks.
Had a couple of very gentle goes at it. Slight improvement probably because I was doing it very lightly. Then used a slightly stiffer Blue Hex logic pad. This very gently removed more than 90% of the swirl marks.
I then broke out the Autoglym Super Resin Polish and the yellow rupes pad and did the whole van. Its only supposed to be used for hand polishing but I thought I would use the DA.
Very happy with the results it brought the gloss back to life.
I will use the Sonax again for any deeper swirl marks.View attachment 62737

View attachment 62740
Looks fantastic, you must have worked really hard to achieve that finish. I have come very close to buying a DA polisher in the last few weeks, but seeing your photos it has convinced me it will be worth the investment. Overall did you find it was easier than polishing by hand?

Looks fantastic, you must have worked really hard to achieve that finish. I have come very close to buying a DA polisher in the last few weeks, but seeing your photos it has convinced me it will be worth the investment. Overall did you find it was easier than polishing by hand?
I have polished by hand. If you have a new car with no wear and tear on the clearcoat its easy.
If you want to bring it back the way it was you really need an electric polisher. A DA being the safest way to go.
My photography skills perhaps do not do the job justice. But I am very happy with the result.

Back