Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for South or North Devon

18ME

18ME

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I’m looking at staying at a site either Woolacombe side or Lyme Regis that is preferably within walking distance to a beach if that is possible. I’m a complete newbie and this will be our first time camping.

Not Lyme Regis, but a few miles East.This place is on the Beach. Walking distance to West Bay (Great fish & chips) Bridport (Pubs, coffee shops & antiques) & villages (some great country pubs). Supermarket within a few minutes drive.

It’s got bigger and more commercial over the years like most sites, but still a great location. Our family have been going there for 60 years or so!.

Last edited:
Not Lyme Regis, but a few miles East.This place is on the Beach. Walking distance to West Bay (Great fish & chips) Bridport (Pubs, coffee shops & antiques) & villages (some great country pubs). Supermarket within a few minutes drive.

It’s got bigger and more commercial over the years like most sites, but still a great location. Our family have been going there for 60 years or so!.
Which site is this?

I was really trying to find something more west of Lyme Regis and not as far as Salcombe as we‘ll be staying at Dulverton the night before so trying to keep the travelling under 1hour 30mins. Also thought Ilfracombe side and down as far as maybe Bude.

I don’t know many coastal places as hardly ever has had in UK holidays as an adult and it was mainly Wales as a kid.

Which site is this?

I was really trying to find something more west of Lyme Regis and not as far as Salcombe as we‘ll be staying at Dulverton the night before so trying to keep the travelling under 1hour 30mins. Also thought Ilfracombe side and down as far as maybe Bude.

I don’t know many coastal places as hardly ever has had in UK holidays as an adult and it was mainly Wales as a kid.

Here are a couple of campsites.
Hook Farm https://www.facebook.com/hookfarmcamping Uplyme. Can walk to Lyme Regis. Stayed here when we first rented a Cali before buying one.
or
https://www.facebook.com/WestDorsetLeisureHoliday
West Dorset have several parks . We have stayed at Highland Ends ,fabulous sea view if you can get a pitch. Also stayed at their Golden Cap site,you can walk to the beach. Nearby pub The Anchor Inn does great food. . Need to book. Plenty of room outside if weather is good.
Both sites less 1 hour 30 mins from Dulverton.

Croyde Bay, various campsites are right near the beach, loads of VW campers in the sites.Great Vibe.
tourist Market in a field a couple of times a Week
Bring on The Sunshine

Croyde Bay, various campsites are right near the beach, loads of VW campers in the sites.Great Vibe.
tourist Market in a field a couple of times a Week
Bring on The Sunshine
Is there a particular site you’d recommend? Had a quick look and Ocean Pitch has some good reviews,

Is there a particular site you’d recommend? Had a quick look and Ocean Pitch has some good reviews,
I can’t recommend one site in particular over another.

Croyde has lots of campsites available in a relatively small area, ranging from one Big Holiday park with dedicated camping areas & lots of onsite facilities through to small basic sites with a particular relaxed vibe, some sites are more lively than others and suited more to couples, your choice will depend on what your looking for, budget, travelling with teens , young kids, facilities you’ll use etc etc.

The weather will make or break any Holiday in the U.K.

IMO Croyde is a good location, Especially when the sun is shining, retaining a quaint village community feel, despite the numbers of tourists visiting in summer, regular tourist markets in the village and by the beach (different days) pubs, organised activities (coastering, surfing etc) , Deck chair Cinema etc, within an easy walk of all the campsites and its close to your target area of Woolacombe And very close to a Beach As noted in your first post.
Croyde is a good base for exploring North Devon area.

IMO better than Woolacombe, which primarily has one large , highly commercial Holiday park situated away from the beach, (aimed at static Caravan Family holidays and retaining people onsite, rather than camper van / tents etc, which admittedly are accommodated onsite but they make up a very very small portion of the Holiday park vs static Caravans. Other campsites in and around Woolacombe are limited in Number and tend to be isolated away from the main visitor areas, i.e. not within walking distance of pubs etc, which is why there are always lots of Campervans parked in Woolacombe along the beach road, over nighting, I.e. not enough campsites Locally).

I can’t recommend one site in particular over another.

Croyde has lots of campsites available in a relatively small area, ranging from one Big Holiday park with dedicated camping areas & lots of onsite facilities through to small basic sites with a particular relaxed vibe, some sites are more lively than others and suited more to couples, your choice will depend on what your looking for, budget, travelling with teens , young kids, facilities you’ll use etc etc.

The weather will make or break any Holiday in the U.K.

IMO Croyde is a good location, Especially when the sun is shining, retaining a quaint village community feel, despite the numbers of tourists visiting in summer, regular tourist markets in the village and by the beach (different days) pubs, organised activities (coastering, surfing etc) , Deck chair Cinema etc, within an easy walk of all the campsites and its close to your target area of Woolacombe And very close to a Beach As noted in your first post.
Croyde is a good base for exploring North Devon area.

IMO better than Woolacombe, which primarily has one large , highly commercial Holiday park situated away from the beach, (aimed at static Caravan Family holidays and retaining people onsite, rather than camper van / tents etc, which admittedly are accommodated onsite but they make up a very very small portion of the Holiday park vs static Caravans. Other campsites in and around Woolacombe are limited in Number and tend to be isolated away from the main visitor areas, i.e. not within walking distance of pubs etc, which is why there are always lots of Campervans parked in Woolacombe along the beach road, over nighting, I.e. not enough campsites Locally).
Thank you, you’ve been very helpful.

This will be our very first experience on a camp site and first time renting a camper van so any advise is welcome. We’re in our mid-late 50’s and would prefer a quieter campsite although we’re not quite old foggies and the last countless years our holidays have been 10 days staying in nice hotels in Dubai and 7 days staying in villas in Lanzarote. So it’s time to do something very different.

This place is nice if you are after a quiet site, Hartland quay & Spekes Mill are nice unspoilt beaches which don’t attract the crowds…great for walking and also great surf spots. Also not to far from Clovelly,

Ifracombe also worth checking out. Croyde is also nice, best best enjoyed out of season as can get very busy in the summer.

We stayed here a couple of years ago for a few days and with young kids, was really good.

Indoor and Outdoor pools. Bowling. Nice walk to West Bay.

Only downside was the pitches were fairly small, very open and a bit crammed in.

Would definitely go back.

Not a place we've been to, but I have it saved as a recommendation from Instagram:
Is walking distance, but rather steep it seems, to Woolacombe

Thank you, you’ve been very helpful.

This will be our very first experience on a camp site and first time renting a camper van so any advise is welcome. We’re in our mid-late 50’s and would prefer a quieter campsite although we’re not quite old foggies and the last countless years our holidays have been 10 days staying in nice hotels in Dubai and 7 days staying in villas in Lanzarote. So it’s time to do something very different.
Presumably no kids going with you ?
out of school Holidays ?

surfing ?
Outdoor activities ?
pool?
Long walks ?
Pubs nearby ?
electric hook up required ?
how long are you going for ?
consider multiple sites on the trip ?

the more info you can give us the more targeted the responses can be?

+1 for clovelley (out of school hols) or get there early

Camping aside, I recommend this place for a Cream tea (Cream first Obvs ;)) close to Ilfracombe
It is tucked away and not obvious Unless looking for it. (Parking close by or on the road)
Nice pebble cove nearby

Another one in north Devon is Warcombe Farm near Mortehoe/Woolacombe, good facilities, nice big pitches, on coast path with good walks in various directions. There's a lovely walk down to Lee Bay where there's a beach and a pub in the village. I think the walk is about twenty or twenty five minutes, mostly paths off road.

It really depends on exactly what you're after...but here is a list of a few I've stayed at.

North Devon

Orchard Campsite - Croyde Village located in the village tucked behind the post office. Small informal basic (but adequate and clean) campsite, only a couple of minutes from the village centre with its active vibe. Ten minutes walk via a track to the beach. Not much at the site, but this one is all about being right in the village and close to the action.

Ruda Holiday Park - Croyde right by the beach. Holiday Park with pool, bar, chippy, restaurant etc. Great for young families, but very busy. If you've got youngsters they'll love it. We used to use it when my son was in his early teens. We could lose him for the entire day between breakfast and dinner.

Mill Park Campsite - nr Ilfracombe bit further along the coast. Lovely quiet park with superb restaurant and bar. Brilliant Sunday lunches. Really lovely coarse fishing lake. Superb WC and bathroom facilities. Only about 15 minutes from a stunning secluded beach (Broadsands), though the walk is a little challenging for older folks. Close to Watermouth Bay with lovely little cafe.

And if you're near Croyde, don't forget a visit to Squires Restaurant in Braunton, best chip-shop in Devon.

Hope this helps.

I’m looking at staying at a site either Woolacombe side or Lyme Regis that is preferably within walking distance to a beach if that is possible. I’m a complete newbie and this will be our first time camping.
Bayview Croyde - 10 min walk flat through the dunes and field to the beach. Nice family run site and great for kids, peaceful and a 5 minute walk from the pubs etc in the village. Lots of small sites in Croyde too. Ruda is the big site in Croyde with bar, clubhouse, pool and everything I try to avoid!

Look no further than Ruda Campsite at Croyde. You can park the van & not need to move it for days! The huge benefit of Ruda (Parkdean Resorts) is that if the weather isn’t great you have access to loads of indoor activities (compared to other Croyde campsites). The beach is a very short walk, as is the village of Croyde, with three excellent pubs & a good number of shops & restaurant. Having toured the south west extensively for beach / surf, this is the best resort / campsite. I will add a bit more detail tomorrow but Croyde is just brilliant in a VW Camper. Many of the other campsites would be great too, but Lyn field at Croyde is hard to beat!!!!

We liked Lyme Regis. Good fish restaurant in the town centre and a good micro-brewery.
Liked the place.

If you get the chance to walk part of the coastal path, the Heddon Valley near Hunters Inn (tea stop) is very beautiful.

I worked on a farm at Challacombe for a while on Exmoor, lovely countryside up there.

IMG_8576.jpeg

IMG_8575.jpeg

Presumably no kids going with you ?
out of school Holidays ?

surfing ?
Outdoor activities ?
pool?
Long walks ?
Pubs nearby ?
electric hook up required ?
how long are you going for ?
consider multiple sites on the trip ?

the more info you can give us the more targeted the responses can be?

+1 for clovelley (out of school hols) or get there early

Presumably no kids going with you ? No just the two of us
out of school Holidays ? We’ve got a 3 day hire 19th - 21st June

surfing ? No
Outdoor activities ? Not really, my partner doesn’t do sports although she doesn’t mind crazy golf
pool? Only if it was adults only
Long walks ? Yes
Pubs nearby ? Yes
electric hook up required ? Yes
how long are you going for ? 3 nights in total
consider multiple sites on the trip ? 3 different site, Dulverton + coast + maybe another in a woodland site. Hopefully this will give us a varied experience

Presumably no kids going with you ? No just the two of us
out of school Holidays ? We’ve got a 3 day hire 19th - 21st June

surfing ? No
Outdoor activities ? Not really, my partner doesn’t do sports although she doesn’t mind crazy golf
pool? Only if it was adults only
Long walks ? Yes
Pubs nearby ? Yes
electric hook up required ? Yes
how long are you going for ? 3 nights in total
consider multiple sites on the trip ? 3 different site, Dulverton + coast + maybe another in a woodland site. Hopefully this will give us a varied experience
Based on your list above, I retract my recommendation for Ruda at Croyde, as I had wrongly assumed you were a family after surf & beach action!

You would better off planning a 3 day adventure with two nights at different places, and choosing places to meander through on route, as that will get you a more varied experience.

The Jurassic coast has loads of things worth seeing and is a very pleasant drive too. Lyme Regis & Sidmouth are nice places to visit, you could climb the Golden Cap - highest point on South Coast (via National Trust Car Parks) & do lunch in the pub at Sea Town (not to be confused with Seaton). Exploring West or East is good. Lulworth Cove & Durdle Dor are both worth visiting and walking the headland between (parking at Lulworth). Open Google Maps and just move along the headland. Places to visit will jump out!

Which site is this?

If you are starting at Dulverton… then do North Devon coast (rather than Jurassic coast)

Ilfracombe is worth a visit on the first day, but make your way there via a scenic route over Exmoor. Then head towards Mortehoe & Woolacoombe for overnight stop number 1. North or has some nice coastal walks & a charming pub. Drive into Woolacoombe on day two & explore the town, walk the beach, then take the back roads (not main roads) to Croyde where there are so many campsites, and any will do for what you want. If you want a view of the ocean head down towards Ruda or Ocean View campsite. Walk the beach, sand dunes & into Croyde village. Have food in either The Manor House or The Thatch pub. If you stay at Ruda you can park on the overflow car park there & walk the loop to the Baggy Point headland, from where you will have terrifies views up & down the coast. Take the coast road towards Staunton Sands via a taunton to Barnstaple. Stop off & explore Barnstaple. Head back to the M5 & on you way home stop off at Brent Knoll (village) & climb up Brent Knoll peak for more amazing views. Pack as much into you itinerary & use the van to go to places you wouldn’t otherwise discover!

If you are starting at Dulverton… then do North Devon coast (rather than Jurassic coast)

Ilfracombe is worth a visit on the first day, but make your way there via a scenic route over Exmoor. Then head towards Mortehoe & Woolacoombe for overnight stop number 1. North or has some nice coastal walks & a charming pub. Drive into Woolacoombe on day two & explore the town, walk the beach, then take the back roads (not main roads) to Croyde where there are so many campsites, and any will do for what you want. If you want a view of the ocean head down towards Ruda or Ocean View campsite. Walk the beach, sand dunes & into Croyde village. Have food in either The Manor House or The Thatch pub. If you stay at Ruda you can park on the overflow car park there & walk the loop to the Baggy Point headland, from where you will have terrifies views up & down the coast. Take the coast road towards Staunton Sands via a taunton to Barnstaple. Stop off & explore Barnstaple. Head back to the M5 & on you way home stop off at Brent Knoll (village) & climb up Brent Knoll peak for more amazing views. Pack as much into you itinerary & use the van to go to places you wouldn’t otherwise discover!

It's great to have lots of helpful tips and suggestions. Much appreciate everyone's input.

Think we'll stick to north Devon and have more of a detailed look into exactly where to stay and what to do in the next few days as I'll have to start booking sites now.

We have to get the Cali back by 2pm on the 22nd so was thinking of staying a bit closer to home on the 21st. We live near Broadway and the Cali's going back to Chipping Campden so was looking at no more than 2 hours drive back from the final camp site. Possibly somewhere around Chedder Gorge way. My partner's son and girlfriend live in Midsomer Norton so could potentially meet up on the last day.

Some resources