Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommended campsite near Sheffield please.

dfps

dfps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,

Anyone suggest a good campsite near Sheffield please ? or a good place to rough camp.

We have to go to view Sheffield Uni at the end of July.

Thanks

It's not on the doorstep but I know folks (who are on here) who have used Camping & Caravan club 'Club site' (so posh showers) at Hayfield. Great and predictable timing for the drive over the Snake Pass to Sheffield and brings you in the right side of town (from memory).
The Crowden site (C&CC) is possible, perhaps a touch closer but traffic less predictable (and possibly horrendous).
There smaller sites closer, in the Hope Valley, but I've no experience of them.

This site just outside Bakewell is pretty good, 20 -25mins drive to Sheffield Uni.
http://www.greenhillsholidaypark.co.uk/
You might struggle to get in anywhere round the Peak District side of town now that the school hols have started though.
There are a few wild camping spots along the road from Hathersage to Ringinglow as well.

There are lots of good camp sites in the area. Personally I would be looking at the Hope Valley and surrounding areas.

There is a Caravan Club site in Baslow, sites in Hope, Castleton, Edale and various other places. My favourite would be Edale which is lovely spot with a cafe and two nice pubs.

Put the search term 'campsites hope valley' into Google and all will be revealed.

Depending on the time of day you intend to go into the city allow yourself plenty of time to get into Sheffield and park anywhere near the Uni. Traffic from the South West into the city can be very busy around rush hour.

We are going http://www.lanesidecaravanpark.co.uk/index.htm at the weekend. Friends are taking up a caravan which they plan to leave behind for a set of parents who are Sheffield based to stay in for a week (now quite elderly and less mobile) they are/were very keen walkers and know the area very, very well; so I have high expectations!

I'll keep you posted how we get on.

I wild camp here:
http://goo.gl/maps/dTNNy

Its just up the road from a decent pub - The Fox House Inn - at the corner of A6187/A625 overlooking Sheffield.

But there are loads of official sites in the area.

We've stayed at both Laneside (just outside Hope) and the Craavan Club site at Castleton over the last two weekends. They are very different in nature. First impressions of Laneside were 'oh, no...". All the caravans and campers seemed to be piled up really close.. and lots of them.. loads of those children things running around.. but it was actually a really pleasant site. A little on the busy side but, the wardens were very welcoming and they worked tirelessly to keep the place neat and tidy. They also had a constant eye out for any issues.

The site at Castleton, about two miles away is typical Caravan Club. Very neat, great wardens etc. No views though - very much surrounded by trees.

Both much of a muchness in terms of price. Hope and Castleton both have plenty to offer in terms of pubs and cafes etc and the walking from either is superb. The walk up over Loose Hill and across the ridge to Mam Tor is lovely.

Just up the road from Castleton, the old broken down road below Mam Tor looks like it would be
OK for a nights wild camping if necessary...

Having just realised you said "end of July.." this prolly doesn't help :D