Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommended inverter for charging toothbrush (or 12v/USB rechargeable toothbrush recommendation)?!

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
This was the one reason we needed 240v occasionally on a trip last summer. Obviously at some sites you can plug in at the loos but would a budget inverter work OK? These are Oral B rechargeables.

Hi Max, it's one of the reasons we use hook up as well. We've never used an inverter but I've always thought someone out there must have hacked a charger to work on 12v. Much searching with Google and I've never found any solution to this.

I've even thought of trying somehow to remove the potting compound in the Braun charger base to find out what's in it but can't think of a way to do that without destroying what I'm trying to get a look at.

Anyone out there found a hack to charge the toothbrushes from 12v?

As a PS - you know you can purchase a battery version of the toothbrush which takes normal batteries. We have one for when the charge gets low on the rechargeable ones. Maybe another solution would be to get one of these and use NiCad batteries in it and recharge these in a 12V charger. We've not gone down that route yet.

Now I'm off to try google again....

If there's no other use-case for it then I guess it'd be cheaper & easier to buy a new toothbrush!

I've never charged it via USB, but the manual shows I can plug the travel case of my Philips Sonicare DiamondClean into a laptop, so I assume 12v is fine.

You glampers crack me up...
I love my electric toothbrush, but I always go old school when travelling in the van:D

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
I've never charged it via USB, but the manual shows I can plug the travel case of my Philips Sonicare DiamondClean into a laptop, so I assume 12v is fine.
Sounds like Philips would be the way to go when our Braun's die... Although they seem to go on forever.

Mines never left the house (where it magically charges wirelessly in its glass!) but came with a very smart travel case which has a USB socket in it.

Apparently it lasts three weeks, though sadly I'm unlikely to be able to test that out on the road until I've retired - whenever that may be (I just hope I'll still have some teeth left to brush ...)

Last edited:
That sounds like a better idea TBH - apart from charging the battery on two days in four weeks we had no need whatsoever for hook-up and we have no other need for an inverter so it would be a better plan to buy a 12v or USB chargeable electric.

Any specific model people can recommend?

Max, like I said you can get a battery operated Braun toothbrush - takes AA batteries and they are pretty cheap.

That way you can use your existing heads.

We have one but have rarely used it - they are pretty cheap. It would be interesting to see if they would be OK with rechargeable batteries.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0036TH5VO/?tag=eliteelect-21

Max, like I said you can get a battery operated Braun toothbrush - takes AA batteries and they are pretty cheap.

That way you can use your existing heads.

We have one but have rarely used it - they are pretty cheap. It would be interesting to see if they would be OK with rechargeable batteries.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oral-B-Advance-Battery-Toothbrush-Powered/dp/B0036TH5VO/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1497089188&sr=1-1&keywords=Oral-B+Advance+Power+Battery+Toothbrush,+Powered+by+Braun

Ahh, really after one of the higher spec (30,000 vibrations type - sorry soulstyledevon! ;) ) lithium rechargables though rather than AA as they are a bit feeble - I will do some research, they must do a USB model I'm sure...?

This was the one reason we needed 240v occasionally on a trip last summer. Obviously at some sites you can plug in at the loos but would a budget inverter work OK? These are Oral B rechargeables.
If you decide you'd like an inverter for charging laptops or anything else as you drive Duracell make a double 3-pin socket version which you can get from Maplin.

Max, aren't both of the chargers you've found for the other type of Braun toothbrushes - ours have an oval-ish peg, not a round one.

Ahh, really after one of the higher spec (30,000 vibrations type - sorry soulstyledevon! ;) ) lithium rechargables though rather than AA as they are a bit feeble - I will do some research, they must do a USB model I'm sure...?

I only converted to electric a few months ago. Must admit, it leaves my teeth feeling so much better.
Don't think I could go back to standard brushing full time;)

Last edited:
I am confused. Isn't the inverter socket in the B pillar used for charging toothbrushes? The socket matches our toothbrush mains plug.

Don't know but we're taking Beaches anyway. :)

We tried using a Sterling inverter to power an Oral b charger for our toothbrushes and the Oral b charger stopped working (permanently)Maybe a pure sine wave type inverter would be ok but we have not tried one.

Just coming back to this as we might end up with an SE.

Does anyone know (use) the VW factory inverter power the Oral B chargers OK?

buying a california se just to change a toothbrush .... you've got some cash !

Back