Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recurring battery problems! – GC 680

P

Pierre Ducreux

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hello guys.

I own a GC 680 (on the other side of the channel, in Deauville, Normandy) for more than a year. Overall, I am quite happy, especially with the integration of the interior furniture which, in my opinion, has no competition: sober and very elegant. I have of course similar defects as described in the forum – interesting!

Here is the issue: I have phantom power consumption on both batteries since the very beginning. The current consequences are irrevocable loss of 25% to 30% of the nominal capacity of the batteries. More specifically, the batteries are currently flat in 8/10 days, for most of you it seems to me that it is even less (for vehicles without the solar panel option like mine, and of course all contacts cut).

To give you more context as well, I sent a letter to complain to the general direction of VW, as the dealers did not have many competences on the subject (to say the very least) – which look like to be the case for you as well.

Could you share and detail your experience, so that we can compare and find similarities? I would like to feed my request to the VW management with similar cases. I will of course keep you informed of any progress.

Regards,

We had similar problem; leisure battery was draining ever no devices were on. Problem usually escalated on trips: full battery was drained over night. Seems that when parked the fridge was turned on by itself - no powerlights nor fridgelights were on. Fridge was replaced in October. And it seems that the new fridge did the same thing.

We have a similar issue with our GC600. The leisure battery drains in 3 to 4 days even if everything is switched off. The fridge is and remains off. So that is not the problem. Something consumes electricity or the battery is damaged or in a bad condition.

The main battery only last 7 days maximum.
Called AA two times, and this morning booked VW service visit too. Will update if hopefully, the service centre figures out what's draining the main battery.

Current update.
- the dashcam is taking responsibility, as I am using Live Parking Cloud service.
- Will try to disconnect the main battery and see how long the main battery lasts.
- Connect the dashcam to Ecoflow Battery Pack with a 160W solar panel attached.
- See if Sun keeps the Cloud Dashcam up and running over 7 days.

Last edited:
Back