Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Remoska Electric Cooker

california180

california180

VIP Member
We have just started using one of these with really good results they also help keep splashes and smells down to a minimum......would welcome any tips, recipes etc.

I can't believe there are only us using this amazing cooker :roll:

They do look good so might consider one of these for winter trips. Are they small enough to store under the sink/cooker unit ? I assume that if you didn't have hookup then this unit would not be as useful.

I have had three Remoska's. I loved them but a big BUT - they do not take well to being shaken around and all 3 of mine had to be thrown out as they kept shorting. We took out half a campsite's electrics in Swizerland. A friend of mine will only use his (at home) with a circuit breaker.
If you do a bit of Googling I think Lakeland will replace them but it is a probleem others have encountered. Sorry to be so negative as I cooked great food with them...
If any one knows if the design is now better I would def. buy a new improved version. I have gone for a double skillet now instead - uses gas so no need to hook up and can act as an oven/casserole/frying pan/pasta cooker - just about everything!

We prefer a Prestige Smartplus Aluminium Quick and Easy Pressure Cooker, 3 Litre

31DGx3HVRpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

£30.00 from Amazon & doubles up as a normal pan!

We have used a Romoska for the last two years and it has proved a great piece of kit, so much so that we sometimes bring it in from the Cali and use at home. Not had any problems with shorting but you do need to be careful not to get the lid too wet when washing it. As its non stick that's not too much of a problem. Fits very neatly in the pull out drawer. Only tend to use it in the winter and use a Cobb and Trangia in the summer.

Can the remoska be used without mains hook. Up, via the inverter?.

DSG 180 new collecting this week.

Isa Neal said:
Can the remoska be used without mains hook. Up, via the inverter?.

DSG 180 new collecting this week.
Hi Isa Neal, although the Remoska is nowhere near power hungry you will need a site with EHU for it as the inverter is only specified for 150 amp.......but please do not be put of by this as the Remoska is really a superb addition to the Cali, just think of it as the oven below the hob and you won't go far wrong.

Chris

Chris

you've convinced me! ordered from Lakeland and due after 30th March, now have all the gear and no cooking skills, but learning fast - bit of bubble wrap while travelling should sort out any problems they may suffer with vibrations - or all the potholes being filled in even better, mmmm another subject!

cheers for the advice -

Kevin

Hi, we are still working out the pros and cons of Cali versus conversion. I love making my own bread and found a link for bread in a remoska. I just wondered if anyone here has successfully made bread in one of these ovens?
http://remoskabreadbaking.wordpress.com ... hite-loaf/

Reviving this thread as we have just bought a Remoska - to use at home when the sun is shining and we can use the power from the solar panel/battery without using grid power, and also to use in Ruby when we are out and about.
Any suggestions for good recipes are welcome.

We've had one for over 10 years, bought in tight financial times to save electric used on the full-size oven and it has served it's purpose fantastically over the years. We are not so hard-up now but still use it in preference to the oven in our rented home, which is somewhat unpredictable. It's used about once every couple of days, has took a beating, and is still going strong - to the point that my wife has been waiting for years for it to fail so she can justify replacing it with a Grand Ramoska. Although we haven't actually done so yet, the Ramoska will definitely be on the 'essential' kit-list for anything more than a short stopover in the van.

In terms of what to cook, basically almost anything you'd cook in an electric oven, you can cook in the Ramoska. My wife's used it to cook a sunday roast, scones, yorkshire pudding, toad in the hole, rice pudding, fish pie, cottage pie, etc etc. My own skills are more basic and I use it to make pasta bakes, baked potatoes, reheating frozen food, pie & chips, sausages, and so on.

This is the cook book we started with. Once you've used it a bit you'll get the hang of tweaking a standard recipe for using with the ramoska.

We've had one for over 10 years, bought in tight financial times to save electric used on the full-size oven and it has served it's purpose fantastically over the years. We are not so hard-up now but still use it in preference to the oven in our rented home, which is somewhat unpredictable. It's used about once every couple of days, has took a beating, and is still going strong - to the point that my wife has been waiting for years for it to fail so she can justify replacing it with a Grand Ramoska. Although we haven't actually done so yet, the Ramoska will definitely be on the 'essential' kit-list for anything more than a short stopover in the van.

In terms of what to cook, basically almost anything you'd cook in an electric oven, you can cook in the Ramoska. My wife's used it to cook a sunday roast, scones, yorkshire pudding, toad in the hole, rice pudding, fish pie, cottage pie, etc etc. My own skills are more basic and I use it to make pasta bakes, baked potatoes, reheating frozen food, pie & chips, sausages, and so on.

This is the cook book we started with. Once you've used it a bit you'll get the hang of tweaking a standard recipe for using with the ramoska.
Thanks for the rapid and detailed response. I’m looking forward to trying it out

Reviving this thread as we have just bought a Remoska - to use at home when the sun is shining and we can use the power from the solar panel/battery without using grid power, and also to use in Ruby when we are out and about.
Any suggestions for good recipes are welcome.

The Remoska is a wonderful tool, one slight query though: How are you going to use it without hook-up? Unless they have changed recently they require 240V

The Remoska is a wonderful tool, one slight query though: How are you going to use it without hook-up? Unless they have changed recently they require 240V
We generally go to places with hookup (OH likes his comforts!).