Remote Control fob battery change.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Anyone had to change the battery in their key fobs, or heater remote changed?
How long did the original battery last ?
Did the Dealer change it for you or is it easily done yourself?

I was looking into which battery I needed for the remote control of the aux parking heater in my 2019 California. I've only had the van a few weeks, but when I used the remote control, the lights didn't flash properly or were random. (Operation is described on p121 of my owners' manual ed. 11/2018). I popped the back of the remote off to take a look and at first I though there was no battery there! It's actually in the "lid" that pops off, but in another compartment. I couldn't get access to the battery but I was able to prise the case open enough to slide it out. Anyway, the battery type is CR2034, available on Amazon for £2.39.

To get the battery back in, I prised open the case, and it went back in OK. And then the lid just clicks back into place, but be careful because the antenna bit at the end can easily fall out when you're jiggling it all around.

Anyway, in my case, the simple act of taking the battery out and replacing it seems to have kicked it back into life. I've ordered a new battery anyway

Still opening the doors from over 30 meters after 10 years. But you can easily change the battery yourself.

Just to be sure: I don't know CR2034, but I do know CR2032. That is most likely to be in it, but as I haven't opened my key yet, I can't be sure.

Still opening the doors from over 30 meters after 10 years. But you can easily change the battery yourself.

Just to be sure: I don't know CR2034, but I do know CR2032. That is most likely to be in it, but as I haven't opened my key yet, I can't be sure.

Nope - it's definitely CR2430 in my fob. Apologies, I think I got the numbers in the wrong order in my previous post. I have no idea what the different between this and the CR2032 is, other than I have a big stash of CR2032's in the cupboard!

Well, the CR2032 is the most common battery in VW keys for a long time. Maybe it has changed in the newer vans?

14 yrs this year and both keys have the original batteries
in the keys and also the original leisure batteries.

Some people just can't look after stuff :headbang

14 yrs this year and both keys have the original batteries
in the keys and also the original leisure batteries.

Some people just can't look after stuff :headbang
Some use them more than others.;)

Some use them more than others.;)
Use it or lose it is my motto :thumb

Joking aside,
Always thought, and still do, that the key charges up
whilst driving so I've always alternated the use of them and its
worked for me.
Although i might be back next week asking how to replace them.

That's very helpful, but will the vehicle still recognise the key?

I think my battery may be fading as sometimes instead of locking all doors with one click as it always has done, sometimes I have to click a second time to lock the driver's door.

I think my battery may be fading as sometimes instead of locking all doors with one click as it always has done, sometimes I have to click a second time to lock the driver's door.
If all goes well, the key will be recognised after battery change.

Is it only the driver's door lock that doesn't shut the first time? Might even be the lock going faulty sometimes.
You can check your battery voltage with a regular multimeter. If the voltage is 3.00 V or lower, time to change the battery.

I changed my door key and remote heater fob batteries last year an everything worked fine afterwards :)

Back