Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aux Heater Remote Control - Does yours look like this?

B

bobcat

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
OK. This is the heater remote that came with our 2009 T5 Cali. I remember it well, almost as if I was there. ;)
The remote stopped working a couple years ago, and a replacement battery didn't fix it. The lights flash but it does not appear to communicate with the heater. I have made a couple of attempts at dealers to get it recoded or replaced.
It has been asserted that it doesn't work because it isn't a real VW remote, didn't come with the van and never worked. OK, so usual dealer BS. (That dealer is no longer VW franchised.)
Does anybody else, especially with a c. 2009 SE have a remote that looks like this?
Also was quoted £450 + vat for a replacement fob. Is this for real or does anybody know of a cheaper option? It's a nice feature but not at that price!

IMG_0110.jpeg

2008 Cali - same remote fob as yours.

If you’ve not tried brand new batteries I’d suggest you try that, as if I recall well, mine flashed but didn’t control the van due to run down batteries when I first got the Cali.

This one on eBay today £179 if all else fails but need to know how this new unit learns code of your van unless all fobs are one code (unlikely as the range is significant so would trigger nearby Cali’s

251AACE8-3042-41D0-89AE-F881D6E7F8D2.png

This article and associated links may help with the pairing process (thanks Loz, WG and others)

Thread 'Auxiliary heater remote pairing'

This is the original that comes with the T5s. They are actually Westabo T91 Telestart.

Mine did the same as yours, I brought a new one from eBay, can’t remember which seller.

Theres a code inside the key if you take the battery out, you have to make sure the one you buy matches this.

Mine was around £90.

It’s easy to code, you just take the heater fuse out, then press a button as you put the fuse back in. Instructions are on the web.

All that said you can try sending it to https://remotefixer.co.uk/ first.

From what I understand, so long as it's the correct unit for the van, it shouldn't need recoding. This was certainly the case with our 2008 SE.
What lights are flashing when you try to use it?
Screenshot_20220406-212059_OneDrive.jpg

I should have said, mine worked at first but then stopped working.

Hence I brought a new one.

If yours still lights up then it should work.

There are two parts that make it work, the key fob and the receiver.

As I stated in my previous post it will most likely be the Westabo T91 Telestart.

Ours is a 2011 T5 and came with the following (working) remote:
opening_heater_remote-jpg.70548

Thanks for all the replies. It reassures me that it is worth persevering with this remote. Now I just need to find the right fuse to pull! I'll never understand why VW think it is safer NOT to label the fuse boxes.

Thanks for all the replies. It reassures me that it is worth persevering with this remote. Now I just need to find the right fuse to pull! I'll never understand why VW think it is safer NOT to label the fuse boxes.
They prefer you to visit the dealership, makes them more ££.

Initial attempts to reset the controller by pulling fuses didn’t do the trick. Pulling the leisure batteries out to replace them did though. Another win for the forum.

Now I just need to work out where the engine start battery clamp and bolt ended up when they went tinkle-tinkle-tink down through the gap I hadn’t spotted between the battery tray and the back of the headlamp.
They didn’t make it to the ground, not even as far as the undertray. Hey at least I now know how to remove the undertray.
Now if the forum can solve THIS one I’ll be flabbergasted!

For what it is worth this links to Ed China taking the front off his T5. This would then allow access to remove the headlamp.

Otherwise you may have to add it to the other assorted rattles of a Cali

Now I just need to work out where the engine start battery clamp and bolt ended up when they went tinkle-tinkle-tink down through the gap
Try waving one of these around in the space. It can be very frustrating, on the other hand, it may just pick up what you are looking for.
P4090302.JPG

P4090303.JPG

Ours is a 2011 T5 and came with the following (working) remote:
opening_heater_remote-jpg.70548
I have the same one, never used it. No idea where it is for :eek:

Is this the remote control for the 'auxiliry cooler heater' (for engine, standkachel), correct?
If so; what is the range of the remote in meters by your experience?
Does this start the heater to defrost the engine as well as the window heaters?

I have the same one, never used it. No idea where it is for :eek:

Is this the remote control for the 'auxiliry cooler heater' (for engine, standkachel), correct?
If so; what is the range of the remote in meters by your experience?
Does this start the heater to defrost the engine as well as the window heaters?

It turns on the parking heater remotely.

Same as if you switch it on via the Contol panel.

It has a range of around 20m

Back