Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading the RCD-310 radio. Zenec anybody?

J

Jo_elektro

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
As I said, that unit looks a lot like some Chinese radio's I saw. It might just be a Chinese radio with a different name/branding.
They work well, once they are configured right, and if the hardware is up to date.
Mine works well now, but it lacks speed due to the older hardware.
True.
But I am a sucker for perfect dash layout and I’ll probably hate the bezel which has to be fitted for a standard double DIN in case of a “normal” Kenwood or Pioneer unit.
I’ll give it some more thought.

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I personally think if you want an original unit, the RNS 315 is cheaper than the 510, has a good satnav (but poor data) but again its quite out of date now. Does everything I need but I do crave the latest shinies.

J

Jo_elektro

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
It's ridiculous.
I have spent more time deciding on after-market radio than on the decision of buying a Cali :D .

J

Jo_elektro

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
That does it.
You guys are right about sticking to the known.
I read nothing but pain and stress regarding those android units and their clones. Poor sound, slow booting, intermittent issues with CANbus (if working).
There was a time I would have seen this as a tech challenge but not in my Cali, no Sir. That boat sailed some years ago :).
I'll stick to a good old Pioneer (SPH-DA120) and take the bezel for what it is.
Less i find a RNS-510 unit for a decent price :)

Many thanks for the input everybody.

GordonH

GordonH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi Jo
I have a RNS315 that came out of my Amarok when I replaced it with a Kenwood DNX516DABS. I intended to put it on eBay but this thread reminded me its still gathering dust in my study. Its not a DAB unit. If you are interested I’ll get some pics to you

J

Jo_elektro

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Jo
I have a RNS315 that came out of my Amarok when I replaced it with a Kenwood DNX516DABS. I intended to put it on eBay but this thread reminded me its still gathering dust in my study. Its not a DAB unit. If you are interested I’ll get some pics to you
Might be a solution :). A pic would be great.
I have to see if the unit fits the “square” shape of the radio opening of the T5.1, similiar to older Touareg models.

Our Partners