Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing the awning and bike rack for winter?

Kryspinski

Kryspinski

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Hey guys. This is my 1st winter with my Cali, so want to take good care of her :)
Do most people take off the awning and bike rack for winter? Or is it okay to leave it on?

I’m just concerned whether the lots of snow and ice around the awning and bike rack can’t damage the car somehow?
Thanks!

2nd winter I have had mine. Removed the awning & fit it back on in the spring.

Never any need to do this
Just keep things clean and free from road salt
Common sense really

My first winter too. I took the awning off. Very easy to do. Don't have a bike rack.
Main reason is to be able to use the car-wash as the local one won't allow me with the awning on.
We have lots of salt on the roads for the winter here.

Hey guys. This is my 1st winter with my Cali, so want to take good care of her :)
Do most people take off the awning and bike rack for winter? Or is it okay to leave it on?

I’m just concerned whether the lots of snow and ice around the awning and bike rack can’t damage the car somehow?
Thanks!
I have taken the bike rack off occasionally for long trips without bikes, but not specifically for the winter as we use bikes all year round; rear view mirror visibility is excellent without bike rack and headrests. The tandem rack on the roof comes off when not being used, but that is so we can use London's plethora of 2.0 and 2.1m height limited car parks. I don't think that I'd ever bother removing the awning.

Awning stays as we try to go camping in winter too - very handy. Washing is no problem at the local one.
Search for awning removal on YT and you‘ll find a pretty good one (I remembere it is in German).

Edit: Found it

I removed my bike rack to stop the salt attacking it. I never use a car wash. Most weekends are a washout so I don’t wash it as much as I would like.

I guess my worry is about water getting inside the awning and freezing/expanding there or between the bike rack and car body. So you guys are saying I’m paranoid and should just leave it there? .)
(I watched the german dude’s video and getting the rubber back on seems like its gonna be a pain)

I guess my worry is about water getting inside the awning and freezing/expanding there or between the bike rack and car body. So you guys are saying I’m paranoid and should just leave it there? .)
(I watched the german dude’s video and getting the rubber back on seems like its gonna be a pain)
I have removed my awning to clean and it’s pretty easy to refit the rubber seal. Spray it with a bit of window cleaner and it helps it slide in the rail.

I've given the pivots and other metal bits (like the black bits where the straps ratchet) on the bike rack a good spray with ACF50

It's not the cheapest but very effective at stopping corrosion. When I clean the van I give the rack a wipe over with it as well.

Since I fitted the new awning plastic clips I've not been tempted to remove it as it doesn't rattle any more :)

I take my awning off in winter just to keep everything tip top,
surprising how much crap is housed behind the brackets and the rubber
seal.

I have removed my awning to clean and it’s pretty easy to refit the rubber seal. Spray it with a bit of window cleaner and it helps it slide in the rail.
I did it twice. Without any soap of some sort it is almost impossible and it takes for ever. I think i used a gentle hair shampoo (just in case it ends up on the paint) and it was a very easy and quick job.

I find that the awning's rubber body to awning gap filler stops any water drips onto the side door area when opening.

Would be some benefit from loss of drag and cross wind buffeting especially if doing high winter mileages.

I removed the awning a few weeks ago for the first time. We don’t use it in the winter because of it being too windy a lot of the time.

Easy to do and was surprised how heavy it was. No point carting it around for a few months if not being used..

I'm just on the ferry home from 3 weeks in Tignes (French Alps), received_1076491049352748.jpeg had loads of snow and done over 1500miles so far. I fitted a new awning just before we went, considered taking it off but didn't as it does give a bit extra protection from rain or snow when you open the side door. It's my 4th trip to alps and only this time with awning, couldn't tell any difference in wind noise etc.

I did that in the first winter season. But it takes me too much time. So I decided to leave both parts installed. If you're traveling in winter, it's useful to have an awning (as mentioned by Kenny). One important point is that the awning is checked after the trip. Especially the inner (lower) side has to be dry !!! Otherwise there is a risk that the awning will go moldy.

Greetings from DE Rolf Dittus

I find the awning more use as protection from the rain than sun, so it stays on.
Agreed, personal choice but we’ve never considered taking it off.

VW garage advised us to remove the bike rack when not being used over winter as they tend to corrode. Apparently it is easy to do with a specific tool although haven't done so yet.

VW garage advised us to remove the bike rack when not being used over winter as they tend to corrode. Apparently it is easy to do with a specific tool although haven't done so yet.

Removed the awning, not so much for winter, but because I prefer the way the van looks witout it. Will put it back on when spring arrives and we'll be using the van as a camper again. Now it's used as our daily car.