Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement inlet manifold required?

DavidT

DavidT

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Our 2016 2.0 TDI Bluemotion Tech Ocean 204 has done 32,000 miles, mostly on motorway / A roads. We have had no problems with it and today it went to our local dealer here in Guernsey (N.b. 3 miles from home) for an A service. When I went to collect it was still being valeted (great service) but I could see the engine had been left running.

When it was handed over to me I immediately noticed the orange coil light was flashing. I was still on the forecourt so I called the service adviser over and he took the van back into the workshop. After 20 minutes or so he and a technician emerged to advise that manifold inlet flap was stuck, and a replacement manifold would be required, + £600 labour plus parts. Fortunately this should be covered by our extended warranty. They cleared the fault but it immediately re-illuminated, so they are hopefully going to get the warranty claim approved tomorrow and order the parts.

When I drove off I noticed the average mpg was reading 11.1 miles. Usually even on a very short trip of a few miles it still achieves around 31mpg. I am therefore wondering if the van was standing with the engine running for an extended period, resulting in fuel usage but no mileage, (hence low mpg). I started the van up again this evening when it had completely cooled down, and the light has not re-illuminated. Could it be that the problem was simply due to overheating?

Any thoughts from the experts out there please? Thanks very much.

not common, but have heard of the flap motor showing a fault when it sticks so I would just happily take the warranty replacement.
as for the mpg, it may be on trip 1 that resets every start, press the OK button on the right of the steering wheel to swap to trip 2 for long term.
ERG cooler and intake flaps do get gummed up these days with short trips and a colder running engine etc.

Thanks Loz. If the warranty covers replacement (and no reason why it should not) I will as you suggest just have it replaced. Just seems a major component to fail after a relatively low mileage?
re the mpg, yes, I am aware of the trip 1 / trip 2 switch. The unusually low mpg was showing for the short trip to the garage and running time whilst there.
Will post an update when I hear what’s happening.

It’s an amazing coincidence this happened at the dealer following a service. It’s more likely that they have dislodged a connector or something.

It’s an amazing coincidence this happened at the dealer following a service. It’s more likely that they have dislodged a connector or something.
Agreed! Especially when it coincides with this very low mpg figure, which suggests to me extended running whilst stationery.

hmmm. i'd also be suspicious as to what they've done on the service. my mpg plummeted last time vw had my van and i'm still certain they did something to the software and never told me. I asked them about it but was met with confused looks. months later my mpg has steadily climbed back up to a 'normal' 36 or 38 mpg.

Fault is apparently PR 0Y1. P200600 intake manifold flap for air flow control bank 1 stuck closed”.

Fault is apparently PR 0Y1. P200600 intake manifold flap for air flow control bank 1 stuck closed”.
Maybe you could call VW Assist out for a free second opinion.

Maybe you could call VW Assist out for a free second opinion.
I had an engine warning light the day after I collected my van from a service, it turned out to be that the oil filler cap was not seated properly, resulting in a detected loss of vacuum seal. VW assist man said he knew it must have been something they had done during the service, when he received the call.

At the beginning of June , I had my California beach in to the dealer for a diagnosis on a one trip only flashing glow plug warning light and an intermittent fault of a" clicking" sound at the rear of the vehicle, only ever noticed on start up, if switched off and re started the fault no longer could be heard. 2017 T6 California Beach, 150 DSG 11,000m.
It was found that a G513 inlet manifold was required and a rear heater stepper motor .
My warranty was due to end mid May, but VW had announced a 3 month extension due to dealerships closing during covid19. I was very pleased with this news and as it turned out, I'm fortunate that early investigation located two warrantable faults, I have no idea what the costs would have been, but I thought it useful to post this update as I wonder if on reading the above post, that the G513 inlet manifold failure may becoming something to watch for. At the time of the flashing glow plug light, I noticed on restarting the engine, that the vehicle started a passive regeneration and I allowed it to complete before switching off, fortunately the fault code had been stored, so it may help others on the forum to know this information. I was asked if I wanted the software update that I was overdue, I agreed to it being carried out, even though I read of many unhappy with fuel consumption following its implementation, a top up sheet was issued for 8 free refills. My dealer Listers Coventry were very helpful during this "restricted" time we endure.:cheers

Update - I took the van out for a run today. Did 22 miles, which is quite a long trip on an island of 27 sq miles with a 35mph speed limit....

I reset both average mpg counts before setting off. After 0.5 miles it was reading 18.5 mpg and after 1.5 miles 32.3 mpg. For the whole trip it was 33.5 mpg, which is better than the usual 31 mpg I generally average in Guernsey (N.b. We only do a few hundred miles a year in Guernsey; nearly all our mileage is UK / Europe). Perhaps more significantly the Orange coil light has not come on at all.

This all makes me wonder if the problem might have been overheating due to extending engine running time whilst stationery at the garage (and hence the 11 mpg)? I have asked the garage if they have any explanation.

Update - I took the van out for a run today. Did 22 miles, which is quite a long trip on an island of 27 sq miles with a 35mph speed limit....

I reset both average mpg counts before setting off. After 0.5 miles it was reading 18.5 mpg and after 1.5 miles 32.3 mpg. For the whole trip it was 33.5 mpg, which is better than the usual 31 mpg I generally average in Guernsey (N.b. We only do a few hundred miles a year in Guernsey; nearly all our mileage is UK / Europe). Perhaps more significantly the Orange coil light has not come on at all.

This all makes me wonder if the problem might have been overheating due to extending engine running time whilst stationery at the garage (and hence the 11 mpg)? I have asked the garage if they have any explanation.
Stationary running shouldn’t cause anything to overheat.
It all sounds odd. They may have left it running as they knew the light was on, and wanted the customer to see and report it. I’m not sure why they would do this.

Our van has now gone in to have the inlet manifold replaced, which is being covered by our extended warranty. As you know I was (and still am) a bit surprised that the inlet manifold should need replacing on a 2017 vehicle with 32k miles. I asked the garage for some pictures and there is no doubt the manifold seems very coked up. We do most of our miles on A roads / motorways. Any suggestions for cleaner running? Is it worth switching to one of the more expensive cleaner diesels?

DAE73869-770F-4FB3-AE41-CC0E6029FBB5.jpeg

Our van has now gone in to have the inlet manifold replaced, which is being covered by our extended warranty. As you know I was (and still am) a bit surprised that the inlet manifold should need replacing on a 2017 vehicle with 32k miles. I asked the garage for some pictures and there is no doubt the manifold seems very coked up. We do most of our miles on A roads / motorways. Any suggestions for cleaner running? Is it worth switching to one of the more expensive cleaner diesels?

View attachment 62161
Many owners on the T6 Forum swear by running on premium fuels they have less problems and better mpg. Some only use premium and others alternate. It certainly will not do any harm except to the wallet.

I too have just had this fault come up, accompanied by a loss of power and acceleration.
OBD11 gives this readout (edited for brevity):
Car: Volkswagen Multivan California
Year: 2017
Body type: VAN
Engine: CXFA 110 kW (150 HP) 2.0 l
Mileage: 79850 KM
---------------------------------------------------------------
01 Engine
System description: R4 2.0l TDI
Trouble codes:
P010100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance
Intermittent
P010300 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor "A" Circuit High
Intermittent
P200600 - Intake Manifold Runner Control Bank 1 Stuck Closed
static
U101900 - Instrument cluster control module Missing signal oil level/temperature
Intermittent

I have the factory extended warranty, so few worries there, but a call to my usual service centre to get it looked at and the earliest they can look at it is 8 December - more than two weeks away!
The local van centre (not Cali approved) gave the same date!
I won't be driving the van... It's a long time to wait.

Rejoined VW Assist to get a formal diagnosis, recovery, and an earlier repair slot.
I now have a new inlet manifold and some shiny pipe work, courtesy of my extended warranty.
A big job apparently, with the front of the vehicle, radiator, etc. Coming off to get at it.
Collected today, seems ok now.

Reactions: Loz
Rejoined VW Assist to get a formal diagnosis, recovery, and an earlier repair slot.
I now have a new inlet manifold and some shiny pipe work, courtesy of my extended warranty.
A big job apparently, with the front of the vehicle, radiator, etc. Coming off to get at it.
Collected today, seems ok now.
Dealer visiting me at home to do a software update that should have been done as part of the warranty work...

Does anyone know what the VW fix is for this issue other than just replacing the parts such as a component redesign.

I am concerned about the problem occurring every few years. My 2016 Ocean first had the Inlet manifold replaced at approx 35k miles / (a few weeks the right side of the 5yr extended factory warranty) and my van is now having the inlet manifold replaced again at 48k miles (approx 12 months into the 2yr all in extended warranty).

Does anyone know what the VW fix is for this issue other than just replacing the parts such as a component redesign.

I am concerned about the problem occurring every few years. My 2016 Ocean first had the Inlet manifold replaced at approx 35k miles / (a few weeks the right side of the 5yr extended factory warranty) and my van is now having the inlet manifold replaced again at 48k miles (approx 12 months into the 2yr all in extended warranty).
Worrying...
I believed the replacement was an improved design...

Back