Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement Roof Canvas

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all, as we plan to keep our new California Freestyle long term, I'm going to replace the roof canvas as I'm not happy about the damage at the rear and a new one should give us years of dry trips.
IMG_3137.JPG
I've read through previous threads about replacing this, and the tips and advice are great.
Should I purchase a new rubber seal when buying the canvas?
Also I've seen them for sale from Gunzl and Poptop. Are they selling genuine VW items or from another supplier.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi all, as we plan to keep our new California Freestyle long term, I'm going to replace the roof canvas as I'm not happy about the damage at the rear and a new one should give us years of dry trips.
View attachment 23137
I've read through previous threads about replacing this, and the tips and advice are great.
Should I purchase a new rubber seal when buying the canvas?
Also I've seen them for sale from Gunzl and Poptop. Are they selling genuine VW items or from another supplier.
Any advice would be appreciated.
After 15 years I would have thought the rubber seal might have deteriorated a fair bit. Personally, if your paying all that money for a new bellows I would get the new seal. Probably a lot easier fitting a new one.

I didn't and mine was 21 years old.

It's not really a seal, more O ring that holds the canvas in place.

Günzl item is top quality.

I'll probably buy from Gunzl, they are cheaper than Poptop.

Hi there! I have replaced my old roof canvas when I had my California T4 '91, and I did it, in my opinion, the easiest way: taking out the whole roof to the floor. I took a lot of pictures that you can see in the link. Sorry that the links's forum is in spanish, but I can explain anything you don't get.
https://www.furgovw.org/index.php?topic=305814.0

Yea a lot of work, but would make fitting the canvas to the underside of the roof easier. Pity Westfalia didn't use the same rubber seal as the bottom on the top.

It's really not a problem fitting the top of the canvas.
The trick is not removing the aluminium trim around the roof inner surface but just loosen it so the canvas pops in and holds itself whilst you nip up the screws.

yes that's probably the best approach alright. I did find however that the canvas and string inside the edge a snug fit in the aluminium channel where the screws were.when I inspected the old canvas it was evident that the screws were put through the canvas and string.
Its a tight pull to get it over the last corner.