Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement upper mattress for Ocean T6

J

jmf

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Sorry to bring this up again.

Can anyone recommend a comfortable replacement mattress for the upper bed that can be left in place. I currently use a Duvelay sleeping bag arrangement but really want to have a mattress I can just leave in place.

Many thanks.

The Sea to Summit self inflating mattress is the best we have tried by a long way. You do need to deflate it before lowering the roof but that only takes a couple of minutes with a vacuum pump.

We have the S2S but tbh it’s stayed in the boot as we have never really had any issue with comfort up there. The bottom bed is a different matter! Only think to say is they are a little hard to come by atm with the cutout - we had to buy from a German based retailer.

S2S here too. Great comfort as you can adjust the firmness to suit personal preferences.
Stays in place, but does need deflating with a pump.
It is probably the best thing we have bought for the van.

I have the Calibed Roof II, which I find excellent. They now do a generation IV version for the T6, supposedly even better. It is a one to one replacement for the original mattress, roof still closes fine even with an Isotop internal liner fitted. It somehow feels softer, yet at the same time gives better support. Is very very breathable.

I got it directly from https://shop.vwcamper.de/schlafkomfort/545/calibed-roof-iv-t5.1/t5.2/t6.0 , but some other places sell them as well.

I have the Calibed Roof II, which I find excellent. They now do a generation IV version for the T6, supposedly even better. It is a one to one replacement for the original mattress, roof still closes fine even with an Isotop internal liner fitted. It somehow feels softer, yet at the same time gives better support. Is very very breathable.

I got it directly from https://shop.vwcamper.de/schlafkomfort/545/calibed-roof-iv-t5.1/t5.2/t6.0 , but some other places sell them as well.
Did your factory mattress wear out, or was it never really comfortable enough?

We tested the mattress in a well used rental a few months ago, but haven't tried the one in our new T6.1 Cali as we just picked it up.
Found this for the T6.1: https://shop.vwcamper.de/schlafkomfort/486/calibed-roof-iii-t6.1

Did your factory mattress wear out, or was it never really comfortable enough?

We tested the mattress in a well used rental a few months ago, but haven't tried the one in our new T6.1 Cali as we just picked it up.
Found this for the T6.1: https://shop.vwcamper.de/schlafkomfort/486/calibed-roof-iii-t6.1
I prefer more comfort than the factory mattress can provide. That has been my experience both in a seven year old T5.1 and in a one year old T6. Mind you, it is perfectly possible to sleep well on a factory mattress. It’s just that, for me, the sleep comfort in my Cali should be equal to or better than at home. For a thin mattress or an inflatable, I could have stuck with tent camping.

@chris ratay traveler
Chris it’s worth noting when reading all the comments above that there are two distinct types of upper bed.
T5, T5.1 & T6 van have wooden slats with a thin foam mattress on top.
T6.1 is made up of individual Froli springs with a mattress on top. For us this made a huge difference with more give where it was needed and less where it isn’t. Also gets rid of the roll together as if there are two of you up there you have individual springs rather than each being at one end of a larger one.

@chris ratay traveler
Chris it’s worth noting when reading all the comments above that there are two distinct types of upper bed.
T5, T5.1 & T6 van have wooden slats with a thin foam mattress on top.
T6.1 is made up of individual Froli springs with a mattress on top. For us this made a huge difference with more give where it was needed and less where it isn’t. Also gets rid of the roll together as if there are two of you up there you have individual springs rather than each being at one end of a larger one.
Thanks Andy. I'm in the early stages of learning about our new T6.1 van and its various features - we haven't slept in it yet but we'll be doing a big shake-down trip in January.

To me, the only obvious potential "negative" compared to other campers I've owned is the "thin" appearing upper bed - is it a basic foam material? Hopefully it will be much more comfortable than it looks, and this will all be moot. :cool:

Our first camper had a bed on a hinge, similar to the Cali. That didn't have any springs, but the mattress was probably about 10cm thick and comfy.
Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 5.35.11 PM.png

Next we got a coach built Possl van with slats and a mattress about 16cm thick - comfy is an understatement - it's possibly better than my bed at home.
Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 5.29.25 PM.png

Back