Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing Gas hose and checking system

J

ja197

VIP Member
Hi, I've just noticed when changing the gas that the rubber hose life has expired - what with it being an 07 Cali I guess the hose is lifed at 6 years? Has anyone had this done yet and is this a big job needing a full gas pressure test - I'm assuming so?

Cheers

Hose should be replaced every 5 years unless condition dictates.

cheers

MIne's an 08 so I have just come up against this. Heritage in Bristol told me they had to get a CORGI gas fitter out to do it or the work is invalid. Is it a VW part?

cnewton said:
MIne's an 08 so I have just come up against this. Heritage in Bristol told me they had to get a CORGI gas fitter out to do it or the work is invalid. Is it a VW part?

That doesn't surprise me in this day & age.

A caravan service engineer can do this for you, they are probably more knowledeable to do California systems than a domestic gas safe engineer.

I think my local van centre sent one of their lot on an appropriate course

Anyone know where I can get it done in N Surrey?

VW Campersales in Burgess Hill can carry gas repairs/work.

I just attempted to replace the hose, expired 2012 apparently.
Bought the hose and the L-shaped tiny pipe which goes through the water sink and need to be replaced in the same time, it contains single use washers which gets squeezed when tighting in.

Big trouble is, that I see no way to carry the work out without removing the whole cupboard furniture unit. Or perhaps there is a special wrench to access the nut from the other side without removing the furniture?

Any advice?
cheers
Andrzej

Hi Andzej,

You don't need to replace the metal elbow that goes thourgh the water tank, you will need a new nut and olive to go on the end of the hose. You should also have the system tested for leaks and the regulator pressure tested.

Jason

VWCampersales said:
Hi Andzej,

You don't need to replace the metal elbow that goes thourgh the water tank, you will need a new nut and olive to go on the end of the hose.

Jason

Martin, Kev, I think VWCampersales deserve a Big Medal.

I was thinking from the beginning that replacing metal elbow as a whole is not necessary. But than I failed to unscrew the internal nut; it was so tighten on the single-use washer.
So I thought "I will start from the other end, since I need to replace the whole thing anyway". Then the terrible access obstacle occured.

Having confirmation from third party that the inside nut replacement is enough, made me to go for another, successful attempt (using bigger wrench). The tip with olive was also a great one, thank you Jason again.

Another successful plumbing story to send the money back to the big-big families in Poland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m721BF3MBBU

Now peace of mind till 2018 :clap

So, summary:
You need:
flexible hose 7H7-070-608-B
Elbow pipe 7H7-070-805-D (for the nut and washer)
Use oil on the washers (I used WD40).
Attention: nut on the regulator is the left-turning thread, do not break the wrench :doh

Thank you
Andrzej

Glad you managed to get it sorted andresz :thumb I like the fact you are prepared to have a go yourself This also is very useful to our members so thank you. Yes also thank you to Campervan sales For your help and information :thumb

I have only been a member for a little while and find the information on here priceless :thumb
Keep up the good work :thumb

Have been informed when having new hose fitted by Corgi engineer at Freebourne Motorhomes in Godalming that Cali Gas system is unsafe & does not meet HSE regs. There has to be a valve to allow pressure testing of the system to ensure the whole system is tight & VW does not fit them. He was surprised as Bilbos and the Citroen conversions they sell are all compliant. Spoke to VW commercial at Heathrow & the bloke is actually a caravanner so understood the problem. He gave me a contact number for VW customer support & it has been raised as an issue for follow-up. I can see the issue, there are a fair number of fixed joints in the gas system & they could easily come loose & leak gas, hence the need to be able to pressure test. Once I have the VW feedback, will go ahead & get a pressure testing entry fitted.....

cnewton said:
Have been informed when having new hose fitted by Corgi engineer at Freebourne Motorhomes in Godalming that Cali Gas system is unsafe & does not meet HSE regs. There has to be a valve to allow pressure testing of the system to ensure the whole system is tight & VW does not fit them. He was surprised as Bilbos and the Citroen conversions they sell are all compliant. Spoke to VW commercial at Heathrow & the bloke is actually a caravanner so understood the problem. He gave me a contact number for VW customer support & it has been raised as an issue for follow-up. I can see the issue, there are a fair number of fixed joints in the gas system & they could easily come loose & leak gas, hence the need to be able to pressure test. Once I have the VW feedback, will go ahead & get a pressure testing entry fitted.....

This does not look nice (in the gas bottle area), the second picture of the auction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Volk...arParts_SM&hash=item51ae78d924#ht_2240wt_1157

Andresz said:
cnewton said:

This does not look nice (in the gas bottle area), the second picture of the auction.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Volk...arParts_SM&hash=item51ae78d924#ht_2240wt_1157

I'm afraid that is an assumption. There was a fire in the rear of the van and its cause is unknown, I always like to be careful about determining cause and effect.

bjw970s said:
Andresz said:
cnewton said:

I'm afraid that is an assumption. There was a fire in the rear of the van and its cause is unknown, I always like to be careful about determining cause and effect.

Hello
The only assumtion I made, was that there was a fire in the gas bottle area.

Anyone able to recommend somewhere in the North ( within say 60/70miles of York) to have the test / replacement hose fitted ? Quite keen to have it done by someone who is familiar with the California if possible. Shame VWcampersales are so far away !

Resurrection of an old thread here, but anyone know where I can get this done around East Anglia/Cambridgeshire etc? Just phoned Vindis St Ives and another van centre in Bury St Edmunds and neither can do it.

Similarly I don't want to use a caravan centre that knows nothing about Calis.

Vw garages won't be able to do it you need a gas engineer who is qualified to do portable gas. A motorhome dealer should know someone who can do it. Nothing too technical to it

Ask VW Customer Services for assistance?
I think you would find that a VW dealership that does do it probably get a Gas Certified technician from the local Caravan centre in for each vehicle.

Back