Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing gas regulator and hose

MeltedGoldfish

MeltedGoldfish

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I wonder if trying to push the hose back in might free the nut to rotate more freely? I'd imagine you'd get more leverage with an ordinary spanner also...
The nut will undo all the way until it's completely free to rotate/spin, so it's not that, although I have tried pushing and pulling the hose in all directions to try to get it to free up. I've so far only managed to get it to rotate by putting a heavy-duty (locking) adjustable spanner/pliers on the crimp, but it's still very stiff to rotate.

EddieEagle

EddieEagle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I think that will be the olive compressed and sealed nicely.
With nut undone fully the inserted metal pipe going into the van end fitting needs ‘wiggling’ side to side. This should get the olive loose in the elbow. A good sideways wiggle. If still sticking then mole grip on the nut and a sharp tap downward should move it.
Good luck !

Sad

Sad

Vehicle
Cali now sold
The nut will undo all the way until it's completely free to rotate/spin, so it's not that, although I have tried pushing and pulling the hose in all directions to try to get it to free up. I've so far only managed to get it to rotate by putting a heavy-duty (locking) adjustable spanner/pliers on the crimp, but it's still very stiff to rotate.
Ah, sorry, misunderstood that. Yeah, like Eddie said...
I'm not a pumbler/gas engineer, but 1 thing I do remember reading is that you shouldn't over tighten the nut over the olive...

MeltedGoldfish

MeltedGoldfish

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I think that will be the olive compressed and sealed nicely.
With nut undone fully the inserted metal pipe going into the van end fitting needs ‘wiggling’ side to side. This should get the olive loose in the elbow. A good sideways wiggle. If still sticking then mole grip on the nut and a sharp tap downward should move it.
Good luck !
Mole grips!! That's the name I was looking for, rather than 'adjustable spanner'! Will give it another good wiggle around tomorrow and if all else fails I'll break out the hammer. Thanks for the advice all, I'll let you know how I get on.

Reactions: Sad
MeltedGoldfish

MeltedGoldfish

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Well, that was emotional. Took another 20 mins of brute force and a lot of strikes of the hammer IMG_6087.jpg
but got there in the end! Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Well, that was emotional. Took another 20 mins of brute force and a lot of strikes of the hammer
but got there in the end! Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I first saw the picture I thought it had snapped off. Then I saw your comment. Well done. Well you wouldn’t want a sloppy fit would you?:thumb