Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing gas regulator and hose

That looks about right to me. I take it you have the rubber seals also.
Mine has got like a double nut on it a bit different than the
one you have.
Don´t forget the gas leak detector spray when you´ve finished.View attachment 34373
20180617_103557.jpg This is the other end, I've assumed this end goes onto the regulator... I could be completely wrong and it actually goes the other way!!

Yep, thats the one.
I was told the replacement should pref be done by a qualified CORGI expert. The hoses were originally only good for 5 years (now 10) so had this issue in 2013 on my 08 T5. Live in N Surrey and had helluva job finding someone qualified. Got it done in the end but he put a disclaimer on the system basically condemning it as (I forget the details), he mainly did caravans & VW do not fit some kind of shut of valve fitted to caravan gas systems, rendering it unsafe in his view

I was told the replacement should pref be done by a qualified CORGI expert. The hoses were originally only good for 5 years (now 10) so had this issue in 2013 on my 08 T5. Live in N Surrey and had helluva job finding someone qualified. Got it done in the end but he put a disclaimer on the system basically condemning it as (I forget the details), he mainly did caravans & VW do not fit some kind of shut of valve fitted to caravan gas systems, rendering it unsafe in his view
So after fitting a new regulator and hose, he condemned it?? was he
condemning his work or the tried and tested canary loving system fitted In
Vdubs?

Corgi ceased to operate the certified gas registration scheme in 2009, since then it has been the Gas Safe register.

To get your system checked you need an installer who is qualified in Leisure Accommodation Vehicles. This covers all static caravans, touring caravans and motorhomes. So if you are having trouble finding someone contact a caravan sales dealership they will have someone qualified.

There is not a great deal to test in the Cali gas system;

Is the system physically okay, is there damage to any part of the installation, is the rubber hose in date, is the regulator in date, is the regulator delivering the correct working pressure, is the system gas tight, do the burners work and do the safety devices work. That is pretty much it.

The Cali has an isolator under the hob in the cupboard, does your Cali have this? Did the engineer know it was there?

Am I missing something, or is there a knack to removing the van/water tank end coupling (the one with the olive)?

I have the replacement kit from the shop, but can't remove the van end connector. I've undone the nut completely (normal right-hand thread) but can't budge the connector for love nor money. I've tried with an adjustable spanner (on the crimp) and can manage to rotate it, but can't get a decent leverage to pull it out (which requires a down-and-away-from-you action). I now have a nicely squished crimped section, but afraid to play more in case I end up damaging the van connector, or somehow pull the pipe out leaving the olive still stuck in. Any ideas?

Also:
I'm hoping getting the new one in is much easier?!​
I'm assuming the dab of red paint is just there as a tell-tale to indicate if the nut has moved?​

Three months in lockdown, and I only notice the hose is out of date a week before our first trip :headbang
Thanks!

I have the replacement kit from the shop, but can't remove the van end connector. I've undone the nut completely (normal right-hand thread) but can't budge the connector for love nor money.
Have you any pictures that you can post up, you only have
to go as far as the nut.

Before (nut done up):

IMG_6082.jpg IMG_6083.jpg

After (nut undone and spinning freely):

IMG_6086.jpg

But the hose will still not come out of the connector. Maybe I'm just being weak?!
Thanks.

I don't remember there being a knack, but I did also take this random pic once it had been disconnected... Hope it helps...
20200629_213457.jpg
I wanted to see what I was connecting to...

I don't remember there being a knack, but I did also take this random pic once it had been disconnected... Hope it helps...

I wanted to see what I was connecting to...

Thanks. My biggest concern in just "pulling harder" is either snapping the pipe (highly unlikely!), pulling the rubber hose out of the crimp (only slightly more likely), or pulling the pipe out but leaving the old olive stick inside the hole which you have taken a very nice picture of! It does look like there is a slight groove inside the connecter, which I presume is where the olive was, so it might just be catching on that. Just hope it's crimped to the pipe enough to be pulled out.

And there was me thinking this would be a 10 minute job...!!

Reactions: Sad
I wonder if trying to push the hose back in might free the nut to rotate more freely? I'd imagine you'd get more leverage with an ordinary spanner also...

I wonder if trying to push the hose back in might free the nut to rotate more freely? I'd imagine you'd get more leverage with an ordinary spanner also...

The nut will undo all the way until it's completely free to rotate/spin, so it's not that, although I have tried pushing and pulling the hose in all directions to try to get it to free up. I've so far only managed to get it to rotate by putting a heavy-duty (locking) adjustable spanner/pliers on the crimp, but it's still very stiff to rotate.

I think that will be the olive compressed and sealed nicely.
With nut undone fully the inserted metal pipe going into the van end fitting needs ‘wiggling’ side to side. This should get the olive loose in the elbow. A good sideways wiggle. If still sticking then mole grip on the nut and a sharp tap downward should move it.
Good luck !

The nut will undo all the way until it's completely free to rotate/spin, so it's not that, although I have tried pushing and pulling the hose in all directions to try to get it to free up. I've so far only managed to get it to rotate by putting a heavy-duty (locking) adjustable spanner/pliers on the crimp, but it's still very stiff to rotate.

Ah, sorry, misunderstood that. Yeah, like Eddie said...
I'm not a pumbler/gas engineer, but 1 thing I do remember reading is that you shouldn't over tighten the nut over the olive...

I think that will be the olive compressed and sealed nicely.
With nut undone fully the inserted metal pipe going into the van end fitting needs ‘wiggling’ side to side. This should get the olive loose in the elbow. A good sideways wiggle. If still sticking then mole grip on the nut and a sharp tap downward should move it.
Good luck !

Mole grips!! That's the name I was looking for, rather than 'adjustable spanner'! Will give it another good wiggle around tomorrow and if all else fails I'll break out the hammer. Thanks for the advice all, I'll let you know how I get on.

Reactions: Sad
Well, that was emotional. Took another 20 mins of brute force and a lot of strikes of the hammer IMG_6087.jpg
but got there in the end! Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, that was emotional. Took another 20 mins of brute force and a lot of strikes of the hammer
but got there in the end! Thanks all.

When I first saw the picture I thought it had snapped off. Then I saw your comment. Well done. Well you wouldn’t want a sloppy fit would you?:thumb

Can anyone please advise regarding the thread direction of the nut that connects to the regulator and the nut that connects to the silver pipe adjacent to the plastic water tank wall?

From memory the one connected to the regulator is left hand threat, the one connected to the water tanks elbow joint is a normal right hand thread.

From memory the one connected to the regulator is left hand threat, the one connected to the water tanks elbow joint is a normal right hand thread.

Is this what you mean?