Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing Headlights

C

Cody

I currently have LHD lights fitted to the Cali, fitted by the dealer before I collected her. I'm now coming back to the UK and will need to refit the RHD headlight set. That are not xenons. The question is whether this is a relatively easy job or does it require dealer to do. I tried to look on you tube and google and seems like that the front bumper has to come off etc which not terribly confident to do. Anyone know if ive misunderstood and it is a simple bolt off job which a mechinal bereft such as I could do.

Not a difficult job, but bumper does need to come off.

This, at least on my pre-facelift also meant taking taking the inner wheel arch casings out if memory serves me correct... To get to the last two bolts.

This link from Forge for the fitting of an intercooler shows the process for removing the bumper and give some useful tips.

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/media/FMINTVWT5.pdf

Give it a couple of hours and lots of dust sheets or old blankets to stop it getting scratched.

Rgds
Mark

Many thanks Mark, great link and looks relatively straightforward apart from the prising of the mouldings, likely to have small tense moment at that point. Should be able to wait for warmer day when back and give it a go.

Thanks again

Alf

Front bumper does have to come off. About 1.5 hours to change the headlights over.

Thanks

Thanks Alex, how much is a new bumper if it goes wrong ? I jest, I have a low cut off level when it comes to mechanical type things so if looking like going pear shaped will reverse steps and get to a dealer to fix for me.

The bumper is probably around £300 + VAT without fittings or trims at a guess. I would be surprised if you did break it as they are very sturdy.

We could always swap them over for you and align the replacement headlights correctly.

Thanks

My wife has no faith in my mechanical abilities and has just laughed and said the latter sounded like the cheaper option lol. Will be in touch :thanks

Back