Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retractable mirrors on both sides of California?

O

oldred

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I know, wierd question, but I have only the drivers (RHD) working on mine. I took the N/S mirror cover off, thanks You Tube to have a look and there is no evidence of the retractable mirror motor. Or at least where I think it should be compared with whats there on the drivers side being a little cast metal cover with screws in it. More evidence is a N/S mirror has a later moulding date on the plastic and is clunky when I manually try to physically move it with a spring arrangement on the pivot.
So I am guessing that at some point the mirror has been smashed off and a non retracting mirror has been the replacement. Also the mirrors are a different shape and size, something else I did no pick up on.
Can somebody please confirm that originally both mirrors retract on a 2008 Cali? Thanks.

oldred.

I know, wierd question, but I have only the drivers (RHD) working on mine. I took the N/S mirror cover off, thanks You Tube to have a look and there is no evidence of the retractable mirror motor. Or at least where I think it should be compared with whats there on the drivers side being a little cast metal cover with screws in it. More evidence is a N/S mirror has a later moulding date on the plastic and is clunky when I manually try to physically move it with a spring arrangement on the pivot.
So I am guessing that at some point the mirror has been smashed off and a non retracting mirror has been the replacement. Also the mirrors are a different shape and size, something else I did no pick up on.
Can somebody please confirm that originally both mirrors retract on a 2008 Cali? Thanks.

oldred.
Transporters of that year could have either , but would be the same both sides as regards adjustment and folding. I would have thought the California would have both electric folding and adjustment. However the mirror size is different and can be flat, convex, concave etc.
See here.

Thanks WelshGas. I should have been more specific when I said the mirror being a different size. I was referring to each side of my vehicle having a different sized /shaped mirror assembly bolted to the respective door. Is that standard ? Mine both have mirror remote electric adjustment, just a lack of power retraction on the passenger side. I would agree with you in that I would expect both sides to be of equal status being powered/ electrically adjustable etc. Thats why I find mine a little odd. So if both assemblies are supposed to be the same physical size/shape as each other then I need to find a correct replacement.

oldred

The older T5 vans have a vertical designed mirror housing on the near side and the offside one is landscape in design.
The mirror lenses are usually convex with a wider viewing section on the outside edge of the driver's side mirror lens that covered a blind spot.
Alan

Thanks WelshGas. I should have been more specific when I said the mirror being a different size. I was referring to each side of my vehicle having a different sized /shaped mirror assembly bolted to the respective door. Is that standard ? Mine both have mirror remote electric adjustment, just a lack of power retraction on the passenger side. I would agree with you in that I would expect both sides to be of equal status being powered/ electrically adjustable etc. Thats why I find mine a little odd. So if both assemblies are supposed to be the same physical size/shape as each other then I need to find a correct replacement.

oldred
On holiday in France at moment I have a near side mirror assembly with electric motor if interested?

Hi jts46, I am interested in your spare near side power mirror. Don't you need it for your Cali... We can discuss this when you get back if you like? I am assuming that it functions as intended? In the meantime, you enjoy your holiday in the fine Lot and Garonne and wait your response before I take my next step.
Or if you would like to PM me to discuss, that would be great.
Phil.

Back