Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retro Fitting a webasto parking heater.

S

SlidePods

Guest User
At Slidepods we love working on cali beaches and the odd SE (ocean). One of the most popular jobs we do on them is retro fitting the Webasto airtop 2000STC diesel night heater for our customers. I know it can be troublesome deciding who to trust to carry out jobs like this on your pride and joy but for those that are interested here is a little info about us to set your mind at ease if you decide to bring your van to us.....

1- We are a Webasto approved installation center and only install U.K spec heaters and are able to offer a 3 year warranty on every heater we install.

2 - We have fitted dozens of heaters into dozens of cali's so can have the job complete in under a day.

3 - We are familiar with the subtle differences between a cali and a transporter that affect the installation and operation of the heater if not taken into account properly.

4 - We understand how precious your cali is to you and we will make sure it is handed back exactly as you gave it to us (+1 installed and tested heater)

If you are interested in having a Webasto fitted to your cali please feel free to contact Tracey our office manager at....
info@slidepods.co.uk

Just to support Slidepods I recently had a heater fitted to my ex demo beach by Jonny and Mike.

As I wasn't close to home I stayed and saw the install first hand. VW don't make it easy to get to the locations required. Have to say I'm extremely happy with it and they treated my van with great care (in their own words as if it was their own).

We actually have used the heater already (it is the British summer after all) and it's a great bit of kit. So glad we went with the control panel option that Jonny recommends. I'm strangely excited for winter when I can set it to come on on cold frosty mornings.

Cheers Jonny and Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to support Slidepods I recently had a heater fitted to my ex demo beach by Jonny and Mike.

As I wasn't close to home I stayed and saw the install first hand. VW don't make it easy to get to the locations required. Have to say I'm extremely happy with it and they treated my van with great care (in their own words as if it was their own).

We actually have used the heater already (it is the British summer after all) and it's a great bit of kit. So glad we went with the control panel option that Jonny recommends. I'm strangely excited for winter when I can set it to come on on cold frosty mornings.

Cheers Jonny and Mike.

Where did the install it? I guess inside under drivers seat? In factory they install it on the outside I belive. Less noise when operating? And hot air comes directly from the unit in your case? How is it done factory - some kind of installation to get it inside - where does hot air come in then?

It was installed on the outside of the van in the same place as the factory one I believe. Beneath the undertray in a metal bracket. The exhaust and the part that gets hot is therefore on the outside too. You are right I cannot hear the unit when running only the fan blowing the warm air in.

Happy to take some photos later if you are interested, its very clean install I am v happy.

I had the vent installed on the base of the seat. I believe there is a more complicated install that is possible with a vent in the B Pillar (like factory) but its a longer install so I opted for the seat base.

Last edited:
It was installed on the outside of the van in the same place as the factory one I believe. Beneath the undertray in a metal bracket. The exhaust and the part that gets hot is therefore on the outside too. You are right I cannot hear the unit when running only the fan blowing the warm air in.

Happy to take some photos later if you are interested, its very clean install I am v happy.

I had the vent installed on the base of the seat. I believe there is a more complicated install that is possible with a vent in the B Pillar (like factory) but its a longer install so I opted for the seat base.
If you can, please post some pictures. Thanks

Control panel

bff887fefe4dc97d3f3e6df9621c7e44.jpg

Intake
3dd47b1ddc5c2ef0d052c2699a25a2d5.jpg

Excuse the dirty floor. ;-)

Heater panel that I opted for.
837746859e657aa9178c5983159341fe.jpg

Nicely done.

Here in Slovenia at webasto, they only install it inside wehicle. I don't want that. And my dealer told me that factory it is airtop 3500 (3kW). Don't know if that's true though.

Does the heater panel have to be used as I have seen examples where the round swivel vent is fitted into the plastic base of the seat (similar to the inlet in the foot well step)without the need for the panel ?
Cheers
Will.

We discussed that option on the day and I wasnt sure how clean it would look as the plastic isn't straight and has curves in it. I opted for the plate to be added.

The plastic seat panel is relatively cheap so I could look to reinstall it with just the vent at a later date.

We discussed that option on the day and I wasnt sure how clean it would look as the plastic isn't straight and has curves in it. I opted for the plate to be added.

The plastic seat panel is relatively cheap so I could look to reinstall it with just the vent at a later date.

OK thanks Matt, It looks a nice neat job either way, I am looking to get one in my Beach, hence the interest !
Cheers
Will

If you're ever nearby Will, feel free to come have a look or a demo of it, I'm near Coventry and at the Stratford meet. This model you set the temperature and time of the heater to run or can programme it to come on at various times. Its better than the heating in my house and a little more controllable than the standard one. ;)

I was especially pleased with the location for the controller on the Beach. We discussed multiple options including dash mounting (wasnt any suitable space really) , on the seat base (too low down?) and on the A pillar above the alarm button on the drivers door (maybe a little hard to get to from bed) . We agreed on that location.That was what I liked, they treated my van like it was theirs and discussed all the options to ensure I was happy.

Sad to admit I am looking forward to a cold spell so I can use it ;) I am sure the novelty will quickly wear off.

Here in Slovenia at webasto, they only install it inside vehicle. I don't want that. And my dealer told me that factory it is airtop 3500 (3kW). Don't know if that's true though.

I believe the 3500 is the heater on the Cali from factory but I dont know if its internal or external, I would have thought external.

I agree with you, I much prefer it outside of the vehicle and as far as I am aware this model came with a fitting plate to fit the model so I don't understand why they can't fit it. You cannot see it underneath the van, it is all hidden away.

If you're ever nearby Will, feel free to come have a look or a demo of it, I'm near Coventry and at the Stratford meet. This model you set the temperature and time of the heater to run or can programme it to come on at various times. Its better than the heating in my house and a little more controllable than the standard one. ;)

I was especially pleased with the location for the controller on the Beach. We discussed multiple options including dash mounting (wasnt any suitable space really) , on the seat base (too low down?) and on the A pillar above the alarm button on the drivers door (maybe a little hard to get to from bed) . We agreed on that location.That was what I liked, they treated my van like it was theirs and discussed all the options to ensure I was happy.

Sad to admit I am looking forward to a cold spell so I can use it ;) I am sure the novelty will quickly wear off.
That's great thanks Matt, I am also going to the Stratford meet, my first one, see you there !

I don’t understand the option air heater with ADDITIONAL water heater. So if i chose this I would end up with air heater and TWO water heaters, as one ia allready in multivan before transformation to Cali. What is the purpose of this additional water heater? Anybody?

Does the heater panel have to be used as I have seen examples where the round swivel vent is fitted into the plastic base of the seat (similar to the inlet in the foot well step)without the need for the panel ?
Cheers
Will.
This is how I redid mine:
IMG_0062.JPG
The vent is mounted on a bit of grey painted plywood that has been fixed to the existing seat trim. Needed to do this to get a large enough flat area for the diameter of the vent.
The original fitter (not Slidepods) replaced the whole grey seat trim with a nasty bit of hardboard covered in black carpet. Hated the look of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t understand the option air heater with ADDITIONAL water heater. So if i chose this I would end up with air heater and TWO water heaters, as one ia allready in multivan before transformation to Cali. What is the purpose of this additional water heater? Anybody?

There is a coolant heater which heats the coolant to help the engine in cold weather but I'm not aware of another sorry.

Last edited:
There is a coolant heater (auxiliary) which heats the coolant to help the engine in cold weather but I'm not aware of another sorry.

From the option list: Programmable parking heater (air) with radio remote control and auxiliary ter heater (coolant) - ÂŁ 1,740.00
What does this aux. ter heater do? And what is ter btw?
There is allready auxiliary heater in all T6 by default, right? So why another one?

There is allready auxiliary heater in all T6 by default, right?
No, that is not correct! As far as I know, there is only a heater as standard on a T6 Ocean.

Edit: and remember that different countries have different standard specifications!

No, that is not correct! As far as I know, there is only a heater as standard on a T6 Ocean.

Edit: and remember that different countries have different standard specifications!
Depends on your country, aux heater is standard in uk, parking heater is not standard option on beach.

Update apologies I am referring to the t5, it seems no longer standard on T6?

Last edited:
Depends on your country, aux heater is standard in uk, parking heater is not standard option on beach.
So if it's standard, why is there aux heater once more in this (uk) option?

It was standard on my T5 VW (from about 2013/14I think) may have stopped making it mandatory for the T6? I am not aware sorry.

The Aux heater only warms the coolant in cold weather, helping a diesel engine get upto temperature.

Very nice job :thumb methley. How much time did it take?

Very nice job :thumb methley. How much time did it take?
A couple of days taking it steady, as it involves cutting holes in just the right place in the base of the b-pillar and step! As I have a Webasto coolant heater I could tee into the fuel supply for that, otherwise it involves dropping the fuel tank to install a new fuel pick-up. Fitted a remote to the Webasto while I was at it so can warm/defrost the van from the kitchen in the winter!

Back