Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retro fitting Hands Free Steering Wheel

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has retro fitted a hands free steering wheel to their van (using a garage, I'm not good at car DIY)? I have a 2015 (T5) California. If yes, how much was it and did any problems occur afterwards? I'm in the North East! Thanks

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has retro fitted a hands free steering wheel to their van (using a garage, I'm not good at car DIY)? I have a 2015 (T5) California. If yes, how much was it and did any problems occur afterwards? I'm in the North East! Thanks
“Hands free steering”? Sounds scary!!
I think Absolut5 do retro fitting of MFSW. I found them very helpful when I spoke to them. Might be too far south for you though.

I think you have to be a little more explicit in what you mean. What do you hope to accomplish?
On my Steering wheel I can control the Dashboard Display and the Radio/Phone system.
I think only the T6 Multi Function Steering Wheel can control the Cruise Control functions and that won't work on your 2015 California, different Electronics, I believe.

I paid £300 ish for the inserts on my existing steering wheel.
The MFD on the end of the right hand stalk still functions as well. It has on a couple of occasions frozen but resets and works fine on after next startup.
It was done through my local VW dealer who recommended a local electrician.
I have been criticised for so doing but I am very happy with it..

Must admit it would be nice to have those controls on there, but I do find my standard stalks do most of the things I need. :) I think if you can do the fit yourself it becomes a lot more affordable.

vwretrofit.co.uk retrofitted the steering wheel controls to mine.
Sorry can't remember how much it cos but I was very happy with the service.

“Hands free steering”? Sounds scary!!
I think Absolut5 do retro fitting of MFSW. I found them very helpful when I spoke to them. Might be too far south for you though.
Hands free?? Didn’t know that they existed.what do you mean?

That makes sense. I was just about to go and sit in the back of my Ocean and tell it to take me to town!

Back