Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multi Function Steering Wheel buttons - after market

B

BillyBain

VIP Member
I love my new California but there's few options I thought I wouldn't miss from our previous car but I do. It started with the built in sat nav, then the bluetooth for phone and streaming so now I'm thinking if I add the bluetooth without the steering wheel controls it will still be a little clunky operating directly from an RNS510. So I found myself looking around at options. On ebay Hazzy Days are advertising the genuine VW MFSW buttons (that will fit the existing wheel) supply only for £70 which seems very reasonable or fitted for £379, that seems like a lot of labour so I'm guessing it's a big job.

Has anyone fitted these themselves and if so what sort of job was it.

It depends whether the steering wheel is suitable or not. Some VW steering wheels have removable sections where the buttons would be.

Assuming the sections are removable it shouldn't be a big job. Remove the airbag, remove the blank sections, fit buttons, refit airbag and code steering controller.

What do they supply in the kit, does it include a new airbag wiring loom?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

it's a little thin on detail, mainly pics but it does make it clear that no technical support will be provided..!! No loom in the pictures, just the connection between the two buttons.

For the fitted advert cruise control and factory 3-spoke leather steering wheel is a pre-req so obvilusy the same if fitting yourself.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Vw-T5 ... 58988ea52f

Seems quite self explanatory.

It mentions extra parts so there could well be a new airbag loom required but they aren't expensive.

Suggesting that they only fit that type of wheel in the picture implies if you have that wheel you're good to go. The reason for specifying Cruise Control is that CC requires a certain level of steering controller and therefore if it has CC then it's a safe bet the steering controller is suitable for MFSW.

I'll have a look in a bit and see if I can identify if an airbag loom is available.

Do you have CC? Every Cali I have scanned has the same BCM which is what house the steering controller on these models so I'd take a punt that even if you didn't have CC you could still be OK.

Pop the airbag off and have a look if the blanks are removable.

It's also possible there is a small controller in the steering wheel that's missing from their offer.

Stu said:
Do you have CC? Every Cali I have scanned has the same BCM which is what house the steering controller on these models so I'd take a punt that even if you didn't have CC you could still be OK.

Yes I have cc, much appreciate your help.

I'll have a search through some other forums later as I guess this steering wheel comes on other T5's other than the California.

From what I can see you would need Airbag Wiring Loom 3C8 971 584 F (£42)

There is a different airbag listed for the MFSW but that could be as simple as it being supplied with the MFSW Wiring Loom. If you want to measure the top cover of yours and let me know I will check mine which has a MFSW.

The steering wheel buttons come as a kit/pair which is £125.

Has anyone got any further with this, I'm very interested in fitting the MFSW.

Raggedroy said:
Has anyone got any further with this, I'm very interested in fitting the MFSW.

I went to Hazzy Dayz back in Feb and had MDI and MFSW fitted. They honoured the quote I had last Oct which is below. I also had a problem with my Fiscon Bluetooth which they fixed. They originally said the job would be a couple of hours in the end it was 3 plus. Don't forget there could be coding and VCDS work. Personally I wouldn't mess around with the steering wheel on a modern vehicle unless I really knew what I was doing.

- MFSW button upgrade - £295 + VAT. (2 year warranty ).
- RCD-510 with DAB - £550 + VAT. (2 year warranty new).
- MDI Kit - £250 + VAT (or £200 + VAT if done with MFSW or RCD-510).

Andy

Back