Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retro Fitting options

M

mrkjd

Lifetime VIP Member
I need to sit down after looking at some of the options prices when speccing up a CaliO!

Which got me thinking - what on the options list can be retro fitted at a good saving and function just as well? I was thinking a retrofit reversing camera would be a LOT less than £600 and a shower kit - are they available and just as good as the VW one?

Not all of the pricing seems OTT. Removable tower would probably be circa £500 and would a retrofit be Canbussed (is that a word?) so VW price not outrageous. And £100 for mudflaps ... retrofit options any better? £250 for Heavy Duty anti-roll bars doesnt seem too bad.

What about other stuff?

It's not as simple as that - after market alterations have implications for warranty (or lack of) etc.

I would have thought by far the best thing for many reasons (usually cost too) is to have factory fitted options at time of ordering.

I would NEVER consider mounting an aftermarket reverse camera, hideous.
In fact most options are more expensive afterwards, extra seats, awning, heater etc is all more expensive. The extra seat for example is 10x the cost.

...search for pictures of the factory fitted mud flaps and compare with the aftermarket mudflaps...my guess is you wil be spending 100£ .;)

You will be spending more time driving around the country getting aftermarket stuff fitted, using fuel and more importantly time. Equate that to ticking the box on the kit you want plus its warrantied, and you can use straight away.

Hmm, buying new for over £50k and trying to save a few hundred quid on retrofitting. Not sure I see the logic.

Reversing camera can be retrofitted if you either run a wire under the vehicle or remove the entire kitchen unit / headlining to run the wires.

With the shower unit you can buy the bits for £100 or so, then all you have to do is drill a hole in your brand new cupboard to fit it...

Unless I'm mistaken, the £600ish for the reversing camera also includes the parking sensors. There are companies that will retro fit the reverse camera using genuine VW parts. As to whether it would be cheaper?

Mud flaps work out more expensive if you get the dealer to retro fit but may be cheaper if you buy them and fit yourself if you know where and how.

The Thule awning is much cheaper as a factory option than as a new retro fit. You may be able to find a cheaper second hand one and fit it yourself but it probably won't be that much cheaper.

If buying a Beach, I believe that the Parking Heater can be retro fitted for less than the factory unit.

I believe that the wiring for the retro fit of a Tow bar on an Ocean can be difficult and therefore expensive. I've read that either the kitchen has to come out for a factory original like proper job or the wiring is attached to the chassis underneath for an easier fit.

If you are buying a Beach with standard headlights and want to upgrade to the better option (Is it H7s ?), it's just a straight swop to the better headlamp units. However if you do this as a factory order in the UK you will get other stuff thrown in as well. LEDs are a whole different matter!

The big question to ask yourself with all options is, Will I use it and if so how often? The answer will enable you to do a cost/benefit analysis. IMO the shower option would be a good example.

Last edited:
I recently bought a 2017 used Ocean 150 with the DSG. It came pretty well spec'd, but there are 3 things that did not come with it...

1. VW inbuilt satnav.

Instead it has the App Connect feature, whereby I can use a smartphone maps app and use it from the main vehicle display. It does work but you are going to use up your available data quota.

I can understand why the previous owner went this route because the satnav was a £1500 option, and App Connect seemed to offer everything instead. In fact the App Connect option was 'pushed' by the VW dealer.

So instead I've gone out and bought a top end TomTom with lifetime updates and real time traffic updates for £240. This works so well, as I simply lift it from the Ocean to use in another one of our cars.

2. Rear View camera.

This is the one option that I consider vital, and chatting with the previous owner, he felt the same.

Instead I have been able to buy a genuine new VW T6 rear view camera from Germany.

I am in the process of retro fitting this camera now.

The camera comes with some basic instructions....but all in German!

I have now removed the internal tailgate plastic panel - probably spent 4-5 hours trawling the internet for tips. With around 2 hours to remove the panel.

I now need to cut a 40x40mm square hole in the metal panel between the 2 number plate light. So I've had to buy some bits for the Dremel.

This is one of those jobs that must be absolutely spot on, because the camera pops in to this hole and must seal and hold tight forever.

Also I need to prepare and treat the bare metal edges so that rust cannot get in.

I'll then need to break in to existing electrical wires to get my power and reverse signal for the camera.

I'll then need to run some wires from the camera through to the entertainment 'head' unit. There are some good tips o here as to do this. Before I add 2 new pin connectors to the reverse of the head unit.

Do I think that I've saved any money doing this job myself?

Hell yes monetarily...only £220 rather than £600'ish, but in terms of head ache and physically doing it, NO!!

3. Rear bumper protector.

I think essential to protect from those inevitable scratches, moving things in and out.

Because this had not be spec'd from new the bumper top edge had a few scratches that were apparent.

I got the previous owner to buy a black carbon fibre film (again from Germany) as part of my negotiations to buy. I think he paid around 30E via ebay.

It just came as a roll.

I just had to clean the area well, and apply soapy water to aid the fitting.

I used a credit card bit of plastic to squeeze out the water and remove air bubbles.

I used a hair dryer to aid final fitting and remove the final minor creases and air bubbles.

It took around 1 hour to fit and looks great now.

So in conclusion....

I wish that the previous owner had spec'd the rear view camera and rear bumper protector.

I think that I have a better satnav system than originally available. It will be updated for it's life and I can position it where I need it in my forward vision, rather than need to look to my left and side.

I'm fortunate that I'm not phased by doing these tasks myself, but for someone else, they may be show stoppers or deal breakers!

Should also mention, the aftermarket mudflaps are rivitted onto the bumper, look ugly and the rivits collect dirt. Not sure where the factory ones are held on as you can’t see where they are attached.

Should also mention, the aftermarket mudflaps are rivitted onto the bumper, look ugly and the rivits collect dirt. Not sure where the factory ones are held on as you can’t see where they are attached.
I think there must be different versions available. I asked the dealer to fit ours. They are slender and apart from the mating flange on the rear flaps, they look almost identical to the factory fitted ones on our previous SE. These ones are fixed in place with cross head screws.

IMG_6444.jpg
IMG_6443.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Some very useful points raised. I was interested in retro fit not only to save a few pennies but also possibly allow a greater range of ex-demos etc. On balance though it does seem that ticking that box on the options list saves a lot of headache and (like for the camera and tow bar) there are a LOT of other considerations.

I think there must be different versions available. I asked the dealer to fit ours. They are slender and apart from the mating flange on the rear flaps, they look almost identical to the factory fitted ones on our previous SE. These ones are fixed in place with cross head screws.

View attachment 38909
View attachment 38908

The factory fitted ones are slightly slimmer and are fixed from the back so no fixings on show. Not a Biggy I had dealer fitted ones on the first van (Pre-reg) but specced factory ones on the second.

1. VW inbuilt satnav.

Instead it has the App Connect feature, whereby I can use a smartphone maps app and use it from the main vehicle display. It does work but you are going to use up your available data quota.

I can understand why the previous owner went this route because the satnav was a £1500 option, and App Connect seemed to offer everything instead. In fact the App Connect option was 'pushed' by the VW dealer.

So instead I've gone out and bought a top end TomTom with lifetime updates and real time traffic updates for £240. This works so well, as I simply lift it from the Ocean to use in another one of our cars.

Your missing a couple of key details.

Firstly the amount of data used is minimal in the scheme of things. Secondly and more importantly the main draw back has historically been when the signal is lost you lose the navigation. However Google maps through carplay has the ability to save maps to the phone, the app then accesses the phone data so in a nutshell works like your Tom Tom

I have Garmin, Tom tom, BMW , pioneer , vw nav , carplay etc etc but ordered app connect only on my cali having had the full vw nav in my Golf and its ok but not great.

The beauty of app connect is its future proof and in my experience the phone nav integrates well plus only one operating system to learn.

If you have factory fit options and the extended warranty then the warranty extends to those options.
That must be a consideration.
Most ex demos are high spec (mine was) to sell the toys.

My first Cali was a Beach. I changed the VW radio to a Kenwood in order to get parking assistant, a remote camera and carplay. Bad decision, the Kenwood screen is hardly visible when the sun is shining.

Back