Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofit Voice Activation for T6 Composition Media now available from VW

Alan Andrews

Alan Andrews

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I bought our T6 Cali Ocean in August 2018.

At the time I was disappointed to find that the Voice buttons on the steering wheel and media head unit did not do anything.

I visited the VW Birmingham Van Centre in September 2018 and was told that retrospective Voice Activation was not available from VW.

In December 2018 I was able to order the Voice Activation codes from Germany, and today I have just had the codes applied.

Mine was the first T6 to have the codes installed at the VW Birmingham Van Centre, so I was a guinea pig for them. But absolutely no issues and I got my Ocean cleaned FOC at the same time!

I can now control my telephone, media and Radio functions with my voice.

I am super pleased.

When I press the steering wheel Voice button, I now get a new Voice activation screen on the headunit.

Cost was £113.24 which I feel is very reasonable.

If anyone has any questions then just let me know.

Use my buttons with Apple Carplay/Siri, does that give you anything else that not doable with carplay/Siri?

Does that also enable voice enhancement to rear seats ? great the update works but in my mind if its fitted it should work without any codes let alone having to pay extra for it !

At the time I was disappointed to find that the Voice buttons on the steering wheel and media head unit did not do anything.

I visited the VW Birmingham Van Centre in September 2018 and was told that retrospective Voice Activation was not available from VW.

In December 2018 I was able to order the Voice Activation codes from Germany, and today I have just had the codes applied.

Mine was the first T6 to have the codes installed at the VW Birmingham Van Centre, so I was a guinea pig for them. But absolutely no issues and I got my Ocean cleaned FOC at the same time!

I am super pleased.

When I press the steering wheel Voice button, I now get a new Voice activation screen on the headunit.

How do I get the codes, please? I live mostly in England.

Just go to your VW Van Centre and order
VW part codes:
w7eo 054 802
627849/software

Last edited:
Does that also enable voice enhancement to rear seats ? great the update works but in my mind if its fitted it should work without any codes let alone having to pay extra for it !
I need to play further.
If it does voice enhancement too, then this will be even better. But I suspect not.
I was keen to get voice activation via the buttons

Last edited:
whereabouts in Staffordshire are you Alan?
Hi Scorf,

I tried to pm you with details, but system shows an error. I presume because you have not bought vip.

I do not want to put out location details on the public internet.

I need to play further.
If it does voice enhancement too, then this will be even better. But I suspect not.

Please let us know when you work it out. Thanks

Are there any codes available that prevent the driver hearing those in the passenger seats? ;)

I need to play further.
OK. I've had a quick play but does not appear that Voice Enhancer is activated with this software.

In the VW user guide for the Composition Media system, it shows a Voice Enhancer volume slider bar. I do not have this on my unit, so am assuming that the Voice Enhancer is not enabled.

I have a vcds unit and will see whether there are any activation codes available. But at this stage, I'm assuming not.

I am super pleased.

Hi Alan, just wondered how this is going for you? Do you find it useful (worth £100), did you ever get the voice enhancement to work?

Thanks

Hello MattBell,

No, the Voice Enhancement requires a vw module to work, and this can only be fitted at the factory, so I had to give up on this for now. Perhaps it will become available at a later date as a retro upgrade, but I can live without it.

Yes I'm really pleased with the Voice control. I only use it for the telephone and radio, but is something that I have got used to with my previous Audi cars, so wanted it in the Ocean. It provides true hands free.

My Ocean does not have built in SatNav so this aspect does not function with the vw voice control. But I can speak with my separate tomtom satnav. So not loosing anything.

The £113 it cost me is trivial in the scale of things, and is money well spent in my eyes.

Hello MattBell,

No, the Voice Enhancement requires a vw module to work, and this can only be fitted at the factory, so I had to give up on this for now. Perhaps it will become available at a later date as a retro upgrade, but I can live without it.

Yes I'm really pleased with the Voice control. I only use it for the telephone and radio, but is something that I have got used to with my previous Audi cars, so wanted it in the Ocean. It provides true hands free.

My Ocean does not have built in SatNav so this aspect does not function with the vw voice control. But I can speak with my separate tomtom satnav. So not loosing anything.

The £113 it cost me is trivial in the scale of things, and is money well spent in my eyes.

Thanks! I might have a word with my local dealership!

I was quoted double that plus some the other week at leister van centre, can’t remember the exact figure but thought not that much, might have been willing to pay fifty or or sixty quid but it was ridiculous what they were asking, no mention of a new module just a software fix.

Try “satnav systems”in chertsey, they switch mine on when I had some other work done.

Back