Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reversing camera.

P

Polomint

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just got our cali, if we have a reversing camera fitted how would we find out? I thought it was advertised with it. Thanks

In my Ocean when I am un reverse the screen in the dash changes to show the view from the camera. The camera lens is also clearly visible on the tailgate just above the reg plate.

Just got our cali, if we have a reversing camera fitted how would we find out? I thought it was advertised with it. Thanks
When you reverse you will see the rear view on the radio/head unit screen... or look for lens above rear number plate.

Should add mine was factory fitted.

Thankyou, I haven’t reversed it yet. Only gone forward!!! I will check the tailgate.

just put in in reverse no need to get out of the seat

I reversed the Cali this afternoon, the sun was so bright, still not sure. Will try again when cloudy. Thanks for help

If you have a factory fitted RC there will be a camera under the tailgate strip that houses the number plate lights.

It looks like a fish eye and can’t be mistaken

Last edited:
Hi. Had a look under tailgate, definitely a fish eye, just have to reverse Vananelle again. Hopefully somewhere more interesting than the driveway

Hi. Had a look under tailgate, definitely a fish eye, just have to reverse Vananelle again. Hopefully somewhere more interesting than the driveway
If you have a tow bar fitted on your Cali you might find the camera, and in some cases reversing bleepers, are turned off if something is plugged into the towing electrical socket. It seems to be different on different vehicles. I think the reasoning was that when reversing with a lampboard on the rear you are likely to be longer than normal and thus the guidance lines on the screen and warning sounds are not accurate so they are automatically turned off. But this varies from vehicle to vehicle depending upon how it was wired up.

Are you not seeing a rear view on the screen on the dashboard?

This thread shows what the screen looks like

:cheers

It was so bright with sun glinting off screen. Will try again at the weekend as it’s supposed to rain

It was so bright with sun glinting off screen. Will try again at the weekend as it’s supposed to rain
I suspect then that something is wrong. Even with sun glinting I can tell when my screen changes, even if the sun means I am struggling to see the details on the screen...

I suspect then that something is wrong. Even with sun glinting I can tell when my screen changes, even if the sun means I am struggling to see the details on the screen...

I agree with AlisonF. @Polomint , are you able to search for a brightness setting somewhere - maybe that is what is causing the issue?

Just to check, you have the ignition on and in reverse gear? No need to actually reverse.
Can you see any other information on the screen such as radio, map etc?

Did you buy the van from a Dealer ?

If so, after checking you cannot see the screen when reverse gear is selected (you don’t need to be moving, just selecting the gear should bring up the rear view on the screen? )

Report it to the dealer ASAP and get it booked in ASAP

So busy cleaning, haven’t had a chance to check yet. Update soon.

So busy cleaning, haven’t had a chance to check yet. Update soon.
Hah! Man after my own heart!!!!

For what it's worth, you should be able to click the 'reversing sensor' button on the left of the central dashboard that fires up the parkin sensors (and camera).

If you've got the camera (which it sounds like you do) and it's not working, raise it with the dealer as soon as possible.

Sorry, OT, but Vananelle that is FABULOUS! That is inspired naming! Good luck sorting your RC issue:)

Update. Definitely have a fish eye beneath number plate. Parking sensors are working, but no camera image as on earlier post ( thank you btw). Will query with dealer. Note, have kenwood screen? Differet

Update. Definitely have a fish eye beneath number plate. Parking sensors are working, but no camera image as on earlier post ( thank you btw). Will query with dealer. Note, have kenwood screen? Differet
Who fitted the Kenwood?
There May be something in the Kenwood setup screen.

Back