Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ripped Roof

M

mattdeb

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hello,
1st ever post and...... problem!!
Recently bought a second hand Calli and have managed to rip the roof when putting it up whilst on holiday
:-(
Been to VW and they've suggested a new roof but does anyone know if there is a chance of it being repaired,local to Cardiff preferably.
The damage is just below the roof window directly above the windscreen when erected.It is ripped across the seam at the bottom of the window and the seam running down the side of the roof like a right angled triangle about 3" x 3". Photo attached
Any advice would be appreciated!!

Nice one

image.jpg

Sorry to hear this, but how did you manage to rip it in that location?

Never seen one ripped there before.

I've no idea, raising the roof and it just went.....it wasn't even fully erected. Once we seen the extent of damage we lowered the roof straight away and didn't use it again.

It's ripped right on the seam. I would have thought it would have to be patched and to do that properly would have to be removed. If that is the case I would go for a replacement new canvas, because if not repaired really well, exact dimensions etc then liable to tear again.
Has the roof been used regularly by the previous owner? If not might well have been closed with a damp canvas because it looks, in close up, as if the canvas has failed not the seam.

Thank you Welsh Gas,I'm fearing new canvas but obviously wanted second opinion etc...
may have to bite the bullet,me thinks!!

Just a suggestion. If you become a VIP member you can order parts from the forum sponsor SMG Cowfold and get 10% off. You might even get 10% of the total supply and fit cost which would outweigh the membership cost. Fitting wouldn't take long and you could combine it with a few days away.

Welcome on your first post , usually most first posts are good news but oh boy what have you done here.....?
Am i correct it is on the side above to the right on the driversside (UK - RHD) ?
Was you roller that closes the hatch open ( slid backwarts) when you opend the roof.
If not could well be the canvas was stuck between it in the plastic rail and the hatch and teared it...
Any other toughts on how this could have happend

Think you could temporary fix it seewing a pice of tent canvas over it , and have the whole canvas replaced later on service or afther a dealer search who's capeble for the job....would not let just any random VW mecanic do this ...need of knowledge ...

Disasterous position to try and patch. That seam takes all the stress of the tensionning system. You are presumably in for the long haul and you need a reliable roof. Get it replaced asap and move on.

Sorry to see that, what a nightmare! I have been extremely lucky, as I caught my roof in the scissor lift, but stopped it just in time, resulting in a minute split on the outer layer where the support banding is located. I must admit that lowering the roof, is my most dreaded part of ownership. I have bought a roof bungee, but have not used it yet. I find leaving the front windows open just a little bit when lowering helps. However, I check, re-check, and re-check again, and lower the roof a little bit at a time, same with raising.
Incidently, how much does it cost for a new canvas? I imagine pretty expensive.

You should have more than the " front windows open a little bit ". Open the whole window or door on the Downwind side. Information in the California Handbook.

Don't think you have much to lose trying a home repair. Put roof up, have one person inside and one out ,pass needle and thread backwards and forwards between you and use a bit of canvas. Cheaper than a new roof and every chance of it mending OK.

Get some similar material and get it fixed. As RedCali says, you've nothing to lose. I'm sure you can get it structural, and most of the winter it will be covered by a Topper. Stop the roof just short of fully extended to do the work.

You don't say how old your van is...but if you get roof rot work carried out under warranty then many are getting new canvas thrown in I believe.

As others, I would at least have a go, cut a really cool shape from a contrasting colour canvas, if it sews in ok, put matching bits on all four corners, it may set a new trend.

tarnkappe-1.jpg
Take some inspiration from the topper in the image above!

I would bite the bullit and have the canvas replaced if funds allow
The longer you leave it the more expensive it gets
If and when you come to sell your vehicle the canvas won't be a haggling point !
As it would be showing a repair of that size

Good luck with what ever you decide to do

Alan

Definitely invest in a bellows bungee it pulls the canvas in a treat when lowering and keeps it away from the metal scissors..

Definitely invest in a bellows bungee it pulls the canvas in a treat when lowering and keeps it away from the metal scissors..

But you still need to open doors or no use.... Letting the air out of the vehicle is nesecary! Or the canvas will pop out....

Although the bellows bungee is not 100% fail safe it does help fold the bellows in a treat and gives a bit more peice of mind, expecially when windy.

Why VW has not sewn the bungee into the canvas at manafacure is a mystery?

I assumed the bungee was made by VW? The dealer I purchased our Cali from had several others in stock( all brand new 15 plates) all were fitted with bungee's around the roof canvas.

Maybe they come as standard now?

I agree with the posters above who suggest a "temporary" repair, and if you claim for "roof rot" you will get a new canvas. In the meantime, get an internal or external topper.

One thing that's worth trying is duct tape, applied inside and outside; or you could look locally for someone who repairs tents. A repair will probably hold up quite well, but will affect the value of the van when you sell it.

Wow, sorry for the delay in replying been away for a bit. Thank you all for taking the time to reply and come up with suggestions
This site is awesome!!

Wow, sorry for the delay in replying been away for a bit. Thank you all for taking the time to reply and come up with suggestions
This site is awesome!!

Another option is to wait to see what the T6 roof canvas ones are like, apparently they have been improved, so if you were thinking of replacing in the future it should be a straight swap.

Back