Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS 510 disappointing

timber

timber

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi
The Satnav that came with my 2013 Cali is quite disappointing, When touching the screen to enter directions. or dragging the map it does not always respond. In fact I sometimes have to press it several times. No difference as to how hard I press. Or how long I wait ( The Radio and SDHC card works with the slightest touch )
The Wife finds it just as difficult is this normal ?????
Perhaps Alex, or someone can help ,as it is a long trip to the dealers posting.php?mode=post&f=46#
Richard

Same here on the touch screen. I find it helps if I lick the end of my finger prior to touching the screen. Not very hygienic but hey HO needs must. Otherwise I find this a great piece of kit. This is my second one and I wouldn't be without. Although I don't think DAB is worth a fig.

The RNS 510 is very out of date technology now and I do not know how VW get away with charging so much for it. My other car is a Merc and the COMAND system is something else and still the same price as the RNS 510 !!!

babacool said:
The RNS 510 is very out of date technology now and I do not know how VW get away with charging so much for it. My other car is a Merc and the COMAND system is something else and still the same price as the RNS 510 !!!

You're right, and the difference is that the Command System is a multimedia system, as are all the next gen in car units, including VW's currently in the latest Golf.

I still think the 510 is very good and would happily have one in my Cali if I could source at a good price.

James

I have just had my new Cali with the 510. It doesn't seem to have any POI info or speed camera info, is this normal...??

I think it should have some pois, installed by default.

However there are tonnes more you can add. Just google rns510 poi. Whilst it is old and slow it is quite common, so there is loads of support.

I find gpsunderground very useful.

T

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

The official VW map package does not include speed cams.

You can create and install, via SD, a custom POI pack which is speed cams however they will only display on the screen there is no alert.

There is a document with instructions how to add speed cameras to rns in the download section. Can also load any pois that way.