Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS510 Audio Bluetooth or Cable via MDI

BerndRos

BerndRos

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a RNS510 fitted from new in 2010. Also with premium telephone Bluetooth which works fine with my mobile. The user manual states that if you have the premium telephone Bluetooth fitted, your then unable to Bluetooth your audio/music through, but need an MDI and connect your iPod or iPhone with a cable and then use the RNS screen to select & play. That's a bit clunky on the screen.

My Q is, how do I find out what software version I have, can I update it, and how, and would that mean I could then Bluetooth audio without a cable into the MDI.

Thanks

If you hold down the Setup button you will get a screen like this which shows the software version.
Yes, it can be updated but not sure this will resolve your problem.

I have a RNS510 fitted from new in 2010. Also with premium telephone Bluetooth which works fine with my mobile. The user manual states that if you have the premium telephone Bluetooth fitted, your then unable to Bluetooth your audio/music through, but need an MDI and connect your iPod or iPhone with a cable and then use the RNS screen to select & play. That's a bit clunky on the screen.

My Q is, how do I find out what software version I have, can I update it, and how, and would that mean I could then Bluetooth audio without a cable into the MDI.

Thanks
I have the RNS510 etc without the MDI connection , just an AUX in and decided it was easier just to copy my complete CD collection onto the hardrive and a memory card. A bit clunky to access as you say. Also only any good when on the move due to the "30 minute cut off" on the radio.
I will be interested in seeing how you get on!

I have the RNS510 etc without the MDI connection , just an AUX in and decided it was easier just to copy my complete CD collection onto the hardrive and a memory card. A bit clunky to access as you say. Also only any good when on the move due to the "30 minute cut off" on the radio.
I will be interested in seeing how you get on!
I had my 510 replaced on my 15 SE Cali in December 2015 it picks up my phone music when i enter my Cali

I've had a play with ours today and it looks like you can only have one or the other, phone or music.
I guess it may be that the 510 unit only sees one BT connection at any one time and it thinks of the phone as having two separate BT connections, one for phone and one for music.
Not a problem for us a we upload all out music to the hard drive or use an SD card.
IMO the Aux input is in a daft place as it means leaving the glovebox open for the cable. In our previous Cali I moved it to a vacant switch position on the dash but on our current van the loom isn't long enough for it to reach.

Last edited:
Ditto my 315

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dealer very kindly offered to update my Rns510 after it had a funny turn a couple of times . He said that they didn't do anything but it is running twice as fast now . Blue tooth music and google maps works great and lowers music volume when nav instructions are on . We keep map on 510 as cross ref but find Google maps and realtime traffic excellent . Also Google maps constantly updated . Mrs Google's French accent is terrible though ! Mine's not great but ! Blue tooth was a bit tricky to set up but once it's done it's almost automatic.

My dealer very kindly offered to update my Rns510 after it had a funny turn a couple of times . He said that they didn't do anything but it is running twice as fast now . Blue tooth music and google maps works great and lowers music volume when nav instructions are on . We keep map on 510 as cross ref but find Google maps and realtime traffic excellent . Also Google maps constantly updated . Mrs Google's French accent is terrible though ! Mine's not great but ! Blue tooth was a bit tricky to set up but once it's done it's almost automatic.

So can you have the phone connected at the same time as music?

Can you have Google maps on the 510 screen, with audio instructions etc? I didn't think that was possible? They'll be letting you run Tom Tom next - ha ha!

Can you have Google maps on the 510 screen, with audio instructions etc? I didn't think that was possible? They'll be letting you run Tom Tom next - ha ha!

No, I think he just means that whatever audio is on the phone will bluetooth to the 510, although there is a video input on the back of the 510. Perhaps it may be possible to hack it somehow.

No, I think he just means that whatever audio is on the phone will bluetooth to the 510, although there is a video input on the back of the 510. Perhaps it may be possible to hack it somehow.

Ah I see - just my impossible dream (i'm not really into hacking being non technical)

So can you have the phone connected at the same time as music?
The button for my phone app is on the top right hand corner,when pressed my phone still works.

I am having an issue trying to get my system updated to a RNS 510, I have the basic 6 disk Jetta radio now. I want to be able to keep using the stock XM module. Any help?

Back