Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS510 Software update

L

Laurence102

VIP Member
I need some advice please. Has anyone with the RNS510 satnav updated their software recently? If so, where did you purchase the software from or can you recommend a reputable supplier please? I have done an on-line search and, as always, there is a variation in price and suppliers. Thank you in anticipation.

The only reputable supplier unfortunately is VW, the problem is this costs loads of money!

There are loads of people who will sell you dodgy copies, but if you want a dodgy copy then they are also freely available on the web.

Finally when you say software, do you mean the maps or the firmware. If you have a bug in the firmware (i.e. a function isn't working as expected) then I suspect VW will upgrade this as part of the warranty.

If your maps are out of date then like I say VW and money is you only legit option.

T

P.S. Google GPSUnderground

Thank you teeboy, it is a software update only as maps are out of date. Not critical but mildly annoying and I may have to put up with that. However, I will enquire with VW Commercial Vans and see what they quote. Your help is appreciated. :thanks

On the subject of software updates. Is there an annual date each year when VW issue an update for the data for the RNS510? Also does anyone know the latest version number for the updates. It would be annoying to purchase an update only to find it was the same as I already have

I did mine via GPSUNDERGROUND and you need to be a mid - level geek :)

Thanks WelshGas, were audisatnav reliable when you used them. I have just had a look at their site and their current offer seems a little to good to be true? Makes me wonder if it is?
I appreciate the link and your advice.

They will be fine - but be aware that you are buying an illegal copy - so if the price they are offering it for is worth it to you - rather than downloading it yourself and mucking about then go for it - just go into it with your eyes open.

Humm, having done a bit more research on audisatnav, I would prefer the legitimate route. Thank you again teeboy.

The other advantage of the RNS510 is that the update is just on CD, so might be worth asking any friends with a VW if they have a copy.

If you go to a VW meet there will normally be someone around who might like a beer ;-)

For people with the RNS315 things are a bit trickier, the update comes on an SD card, and once it has been used once it is locked to that vehicle :-(

Hold down the setup button for around 5 seconds and it'll enter another menu. THis will tell you what version you're on.

I've just installed v12 maps which are recent. Don't think there is a new firmware update, I'm on 6270.

It was built in July, but for personal reasons delivery was not until December 1st. Map update since July. New maps show my sons house in Norwich, which was not shown on maps that came with California.

Last week received my Cali :bananadance Have opted for a RNS510 which came with a V11 DVD which apparently is the latest version, so says the dealer ;). Does anyone know on which website one can check what the latest officially available version is?

My manual says map updates are complementary whilst under warranty, drop by and
they'll update your shiz WYW.

I'm afraid you might find it difficult to find a Dealership to give you an update under warranty.
V12 is the latest version from VW, but most Dealerships don't seem able to find it. SMG Cowfold got mine, 3 weeks ago at a very good price including forum discount. Local dealer offered me V11 for £219 almost twice the price.

Navigation DVD for Volkswagen RNS 510 & RNS 810,
Škoda RNS Columbus und Seat Mediasystem (CD_8195).

Content:
Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD
Content
Volume: CD_8195
Date: 7.7.2014
db: EU(2014Q1)
Area: West Europe
Subarea: West
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.20.412.84
Customer Version: V12
Customer: 1627386751
Customer Info: VW
Features: V10
TPD: 2014050019
SVD: EDB_20140518
TMC: 2014070020
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: V006.046 V007.037 V008.703 V009.036 V010.013

PR Nr.: 7RQ
EA -Teilenummer: 1T0 919 859 B
OZ-Teilenummer: 1T0 051 859 AH
hoster: Mega.co.nz
parts: 1 self extractable
Iso: 5.49 GB

I'm afraid you might find it difficult to find a Dealership to give you an update under warranty.
V12 is the latest version from VW, but most Dealerships don't seem able to find it. SMG Cowfold got mine, 3 weeks ago at a very good price including forum discount. Local dealer offered me V11 for £219 almost twice the price.
Disappointing to find my Nov 2014 Cali is already 2 versions out of date (V10) :(

My April 2015 Cali came with V11. Dealer enquired with VW whether I have got the latest version and VW replied that it was the latest version at the time of ordering (6 months ago)! Not quite sure what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The software and Maps are installed at the time of manufacture of the RNS 510, not the build date of the vehicle. If you want the latest then you'll either have to buy from VW - I would suggest the forum sponsors SMG. Or ask to borrow the DVD from someone who has the same unit, but a more upto date version.

The software and Maps are installed at the time of manufacture of the RNS 510, not the build date of the vehicle.
Mine weren't. I had to wait a couple of weeks for the DVD to be posted out to me, then I had to install them myself ...

There are always exceptions.:thumb

I normally wouldn't spec built in nav, given the ridiculous price they ask, but this one already had it. I normally use my smartphone with CoPilot (maps on device). I must admit it is pleasant having the nav built in and not worrying about my phone falling off the windscreen though!

I was handed over a DVD with the "latest" version on Cali collection. Thanks welshgas, another reason to sign up cotf

Back