Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road tax for a Coast

J

Jandy61

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Evening
Can someone tell me the annual road tax for a new Coast, I had a quote from a vw dealer and its quoted as 270, I thought it would be higher because of the price of the vehicle, but obviously I’m very happy if correct
Thanks

Hi,
I'm no expert as Ive only just ordered my Coast but the cost breakdown on my contract shows a charge of £320 for BOTH road tax and first registration so I'm guessing your quote can't be far off....

Hi,
I'm no expert as Ive only just ordered my Coast but the cost breakdown on my contract shows a charge of £320 for BOTH road tax and first registration so I'm guessing your quote can't be far off....
Yes plus a £55 first registration, that is good news, I thought is was going to be about 500 for the first 5 years or something

I'm really confused about road tax. When I go on the dvla website it say £1850. Surely that can't be right?! Do dealers include it in the price of the car the first year then the second drops to £450?

I think this is an old subject but my understanding/interpretation of the current VED rates as as follows.
For NEW Calis/MPV's
First reg fee - £55
First year VED - £1850pa based on CO2 emissions (£1850pa is for the 191-225gms/km category)
Second and subsequent 4 years - £150pa + £325pa for vehicles with list price (not discounted and with options added) of £40k or greater (£475pa total)
Seventh and subsequent years - £150pa

Rates are correct as of todays date.
Link to Gov web site:
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

I noticed that two members mentioned £270 for the first year VED as quoted by dealers. I would urge you to get this checked. If I look at new and historical rates £207pa is the rate you would pay if your cali was registered before March 2001.
If the above is wrong or out of date pls let me know. I paid the £1850/£475 rate over the last two years as my Cali was new in July 2019. I have four more years at £475 before it drops down to £150pa.

I think this is an old subject but my understanding/interpretation of the current VED rates as as follows.
For NEW Calis/MPV's
First reg fee - £55
First year VED - £1850pa based on CO2 emissions (£1850pa is for the 191-225gms/km category)
Second and subsequent 4 years - £150pa + £325pa for vehicles with list price (not discounted and with options added) of £40k or greater (£475pa total)

Link to Gov web site:

I noticed that two members mentioned £270 for the first year VED as quoted by dealers. I would urge you to get this checked. If I look at new and historical rates £207pa is the rate you would pay if your cali was registered before March 2001.
If the above is wrong or out of date pls let me know. I paid the £1850/£475 rate over the last two years as my Cali was new in July 2019. I have four more years at £475 before it drops down to £150pa.
Lots on the forum about this. Seems for the last couple of years new Calis were registered as MPVs, and I think taxed on their emissions. They are now LGVs (except Beach Tours which are cars?) ...until April when new ones will be taxed on emissions again. Seemingly nothing can be done to change MPV status if your Cali was registered as such. This thread is useful.

For NEW Calis/MPV's
First reg fee - £55

Link to Gov web site:

All changed post 12th March 2020.
Californias are now registered as PLG Body Type Motor Caravan and no longer taxed on CO2 Emissions with a standard VED £270/yr.
However, all may change in April 2021, change for ALL new build Campervans and Motorhomes.

All changed post 12th March 2020.
Californias are now registered as PLG Body Type Motor Caravan and no longer taxed on CO2 Emissions with a standard VED £270/yr.
However, all may change in April 2021, change for ALL new build Campervans and Motorhomes.
Wow! That sounds rather unfair particularly as the difference is so big. MPV v LGV. Hmm.......I smell politics here.

So this applies for the time being as Calis are now taxed as LGV and no possibility of retrospective reclassification?

Got home from work tonight to find this on the kitchen side for my 69 plate ocean
Identical as mine. Looks like you got caught like me in the time between 1st April 2017 and 12th March 2020. It feels like an injustice!

Identical as mine. Looks like you got caught like me in the time between 1st April 2017 and 12th March 2020. It feels like an injustice!
I did grunt a couple of expletives when I opened the letter and said what the dvla could go do with there mother and a pineapple.
Then cracked open a couple of beers and thought buga it is what it is

They didn't start getting expensive in 2017 it was about 2010 when they changed from being flat rate "van tax" to emissions based - at least yours will go down to £140 after 6 years, some of the older vans are in the highest emission tax bands with no prospect of the figure coming down

Ah, OK, I was not aware of that historical info and whilst I never imagined VED would go down the size of the hike in 2017 (1st year one off payment based on emissions and the 40k tax) made me choke a little I was kind of resigned to it but for the VED to come down to £270pa just three years later, well in isolation, it seems pretty unfair. Anyway as I said I’m kind of resigned to pay up and enjoy my Cali. Even in the current climate!

Evening
Can someone tell me the annual road tax for a new Coast, I had a quote from a vw dealer and its quoted as 270, I thought it would be higher because of the price of the vehicle, but obviously I’m very happy if correct
Thanks
I’ve just seen Jay Gas’ road tax though - see below. His is higher!! my coast is coming end Jan.

From my dealer:-
The California Coast comes under the Motorhome classification and so is taxed as PLG (private light goods). The road tax is currently £270 per year and generally increases £5 per year in the April budget.

This started from April this year after the DVLA issued new guidance for Motorhomes, previous to this was taxed as a DC (diesel car) so tax was around £1280 for the first year.