Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof 12v socket conundrum

royalv2

royalv2

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I can’t get a phone charge from the 12v roof socket. I’ve tried three different sized charging sockets (that all work in the lower socket), plus a multi-meter shows voltage in the roof socket, albeit down to 11.6V. Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can/should do with the roof socket to get it working? Photos attached. Any experience/advice gratefully received!0764AA33-3405-40B7-B9DD-B306D6E3DF4F.jpeg32DBE88B-A367-4D09-9583-49D7CE3AA0AC.jpeg490BC02B-DDEE-423C-8982-81B72D139ADD.jpegE88EE670-F822-4C7D-9C8C-5CDB90F9C005.jpeg

I can’t get a phone charge from the 12v roof socket. I’ve tried three different sized charging sockets (that all work in the lower socket), plus a multi-meter shows voltage in the roof socket, albeit down to 11.6V. Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can/should do with the roof socket to get it working? Photos attached. Any experience/advice gratefully received!View attachment 98433View attachment 98434View attachment 98436View attachment 98437
Ok, so the socket has power which means the fuse is OK.
I think you may find that the various plugs you are using are not making a good contact, either the +tve contact on the tip is not pushed in far enough or the side -tve contacts are not making contact with the sides of the socket, which often have cutout flaps that are normally pushed inwards to grip the plug and make a good contact.

I would suggest removing the 15 amp fuses under the passenger seat that cover the 12v sockets. Then examine one of the sockets that work and compare with the socket that doesn’t work.
Check the plug goes in as far in each socket, that the side contacts are the same in both plugs. They may need to be teased out in the non-working plug.

Many thanks, I’ll try those tomorrow.

@WelshGas, I haven’t made much progress, but by way of feedback my findings are:
- swapping the fuses around (inc with a new spare) didn’t make a difference.
- I extracted the socket from the body, the contacts are connecting; however using a cigarette lighter plug for a heated back cushion, unlike the USB plugs, the LED lit, though more dimly than usual and the other end of the cable output was a mere 2.3V (through the multimeter reads 11.6V at the socket) - granted this may not prove anything, but may link to why the meter reads but the phone won’t charge.
- I had a look up the B pillar, the connection block/plug-socket seems firmly connected and reads 11.8V on the battery/loom side.
- (Getting the seat belt height adjuster back on is more of a fiddle than getting it off!)
I attach photos for info, but feels like I’ve hit a dead end. E5E38684-B50D-4884-914B-EC5E2D5F90A3.jpeg4114AA56-9259-44AD-B027-CB910AADA3D9.jpeg845DD62A-9289-4C47-8599-53F92939A91B.jpeg155519B0-37CB-4465-90CA-0AAA9AE74F13.jpegEB53697B-0CDA-4A4C-9AC7-30A954FD0A97.jpeg

P.S. I did look at extracting a 12V socket from elsewhere in the van to try swapping the whole unit, but none of them came out as easily (and I felt I might damage them in the process).

P.S. I did look at extracting a 12V socket from elsewhere in the van to try swapping the whole unit, but none of them came out as easily (and I felt I might damage them in the process).
What is the voltage, measured with the Multimeter, of the 12v socket in the boot or by the sliding door compared with the 12v socket by the mains socket?
In my SE all 12v sockets read the same.
If the other 12v sockets are the same over 12v, then you need to probably remove the B pillar trim to follow the wiring loom .
Also , on the faulty plug check voltage from red+tve to chassis earth.
If the voltage increases then check resistance of brown-tve to chassis/earth. It should be very low if you have a good earth connection.

Many thanks. Now away from home (& multimeter) for a couple of weeks, so will try when I’m back.

Extract the socket so you can get at the connections.

Remove the earth connector.

Run a length of wire from the battery earth (or any good chassis point) to the earth terminal on the socket.

See if you can charge.

If not repeat the above but for the positive.

One of these will cure your problem and tell you where the problem is.

@WelshGas, I haven’t made much progress, but by way of feedback my findings are:
- swapping the fuses around (inc with a new spare) didn’t make a difference.
- I extracted the socket from the body, the contacts are connecting; however using a cigarette lighter plug for a heated back cushion, unlike the USB plugs, the LED lit, though more dimly than usual and the other end of the cable output was a mere 2.3V (through the multimeter reads 11.6V at the socket) - granted this may not prove anything, but may link to why the meter reads but the phone won’t charge.
- I had a look up the B pillar, the connection block/plug-socket seems firmly connected and reads 11.8V on the battery/loom side.
- (Getting the seat belt height adjuster back on is more of a fiddle than getting it off!)
I attach photos for info, but feels like I’ve hit a dead end. View attachment 98472View attachment 98473View attachment 98474View attachment 98475View attachment 98476
Hi Royalv2
I have a same problem lik you with the 12v socket roof and kitchen.
Fuses are ok, 12v on fuse and no 12 v on socket.
Probably broken wires in some where…
Did you solve your problem?
Regards

Hi EvaristoAmigo, no, I didn’t. Life got busy… The only update I have is that four single down lighters (rather than the long strips) in the downstairs rear passenger compartment/living space are now working only intermittently. Could be unrelated or maybe a linked loose connection or damaged wire. Sorry I couldn’t be more help. Good luck.