Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof bars / rack recommendations

M

MisterTea

VIP Member
Hi all.. Anyone researched into roof bars for the Cali?

I know vw does their own set, but anyone using other makes such as the Thule Wing bar like this http://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product.php?prod=312

Any other recommendations please

Strange, I'm trying to link to campervantastic Thule wing bars, but when I past the link I get that dodgy URL. Oh well. Question still valid. What roof bars do you all use?

Thanks

John said:
Thanks for that thread John. I think Kari tech is more than I need, I just need a couple of decent solid roof bars slotted to take things like a slim roof box, a couple of extra bikes or skis. I'm guessing most people will go with VW own set. But Thule and Mont Blanc do sets too. I'm tempted by the Thule Wing.

I've got the standard Thule Aero set for carrying kayaks and surf boards.... does exactly what it should do. Don't overtighten the feet fittings though.

Recently went with the Thule Wing bars - I think they look nicer than the VW ones plus a fair bit cheaper with online deals available. They advertise reduced wind noise and, so far, seems to be the case. Theyre also designed to reduce the fuel cost of having roof bars on - supposedly up to 95% - so you can leave them on full time. You can add plenty of extras onto the "T" rack system for bikes & kayaks etc, which is another reason we chose them. Great bit of kit!
G

We have the genuine VW ones as we like to keep things original. very happy with them and very high quality

I have thule aluminium bars. Carry a canadian canoe on them. Great job and cheaper than VW originals. Got mine from tesco direct and no complaints.

I got a set of bog standard (rectangular profile) Thule bars which fit perfectly - £110 on EBay at the time.

I chose them to fit my Thule roof-box as the brackets wouldn't go round aero bars.

I've since found out you can get T-fittings to go into aeros. duh! :headbang

Anyway - can recommend the fitment and quality of Thule bars.