Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Bend?

G

Gasf

VIP Member
I am in the process of looking at an ex demonstrator from a VW dealer. The van is good with many extras but there is a tear in the canvas and a very slight bend - hardly noticeable - at the edge of the roof on both sides where the rear hinges are. Really only noticeable when the sun is shining it.

The dealer has said that the canvas will be replaced under warranty - the van is nine months old - but the roof itself will be repaired and guaranteed leak proof.

Question for forum members - has this slight bending happened to anyone else, is repairing reasonable, is ther a chance that it will leak in future.

Look forward to hearing your views.

Thanks

Our tame Service Manager, Alex of SMG, is your best man to speak to. If he doesn't come along and answer give him a shout.

A Cali which I eventually rejected (for a long list of reasons) had a similar issue with the roof. Two kinks either side. The VW dealer indicated that this was standard (all like that guv) on the basis that one they had a couple of months before had similar kinks near the hinges.

I had told them it needed to be fixed, I was really annoyed with them when I went into the show room and saw a third cali without such a roof.

The original cali also had paint blisters along the front panel that joins to the roof when its closed. I did wonder whether the roof was put on with the panel paint not having dried properly, when it was raised the first time the pressure of opening caused the ali roof to kink slightly. Just a thought.

The Cali inquestion would be 18 months old now (Olympic blue) it also had a very small hole in the canvas that they spotted with glue rather than repaired. Quality VW dealer .......

In the end they couldnt repair a number of electrical issues so I swapped it for another one they had and found another dealer

I have seen a few with kinks in. In all honesty they will probably send it to a bodyshop or try a dent magician to see if they can get the kink out. It wouldn#t leak if it was left as the seal is still in place so would still stop water coming in when the roof is closed, make sure the bellows are done though as these can be damaged further through use if they catch in the hinges.

We have replaced a metal roof that was kined here under warranty once we had established what the cause was. A couple of things that can delay the replacement is roof availability and also they don't come in every colour, so make sure that if your roof has to be painted that it is done by a VW Approved Bodyshop.

cheers

Many thanks.

Do you think thsi is a common issue and do you think many vans are like this but the owners don't notice?

It may be more common than people think, but not drastic. The vast majority we see are undamaged and do not need replacement bellows etc...The problem is determining what is user error to cause the damage.

cheers

Thanks. I spoke to the dealer his afternoon and he said that when the roof was off for replacement of the canvas they would repair it by heating it in the body shop I.e. it is fibreglass and therefore they could straighten it that way. Does this sound a reasonable thing to do? Would this damage the roof lid in other ways?

Also, I noticed that the roof lid doesn't appear to form a seal with the top of the vehicle i.e. the channelling must stop the rain water entering the vehicle itself. Is this the case??

Thanks - more daft questions may follow.

I would walk away my friend. The roof is definatly not fibreglass it is aluminium.
They are fobbing you off

Gasf said:
I.e. it is fibreglass and therefore they could straighten it that way. Does this sound a reasonable thing to do? Would this damage the roof lid in other ways?
:shocked your :censor dealer seems to have a very poor knowledge of the Cali as the roof is constructed from Aluminium!

Chris

I think you need to name and shame this dealer to stop anyone taking their Cali into them ! Scary :crazy

Kinking on the edge of the roof and small holes/tear in the bellow (canvas) near the scissor mechanism is a common problem, and it can happen very easily. It is caused simply by not having a window open when you are closing the roof, or having a window or sliding door fully open whilst closing the roof when it is very windy (ie wind blowing into the van, which then pushes the canvas out on the opposite side). It has happened on my California twice - once when another family member was using my vehicle and once when I did it myself (the windy scenario!). When it happens, it looks horrific, as the roof kinks very badly. However, if you then fully open the roof, then close it again (properly!), it is amazing how the kink straightens itself out almost completely. On both occasions, my roof did not require any further work to straighten it (my dealer also told me it was "plastic"). The roof has never leaked. If the bellows are cut (usually just a small hole) you either shell out for a new canvas roof or do what I did and buy some "Tear Aid" from ebay - a fantastic American clear patch that results in a good repair. If you view a demonstator vehicle with kinks, you can be sure that it has been out on test and someone has not read the roof operation instructions properly!

Usually where the hinges catch the canvas is a double seam with a strengthening bar so
Normally doesn't go all the way through this happened to mine before I bought it. The wife just nicked it together with a needle and cotton :thumb

Thanks for the advice. I don't think they are trying to pull the wool over my eyes. They are guys at the VW van centre who sell vans and have only recently started to sell California's so i won't name and shame yet. I will, however, tell them that it is aluminium and hear what he next solution might be.

I will walk away if not satisfied but can anyone confirm that the roof lid doesn't seal with the top of the vehicle i.e the the rainwater is channelled away therefore preventing leaking. If this is he case I may just ask or more discount ans take the van as is.

Thanks

The same thing happened to my Cali. The stiffening bar in the canvas somehow didn't fold inwards as it should, but folded outwards when the roof was lowered. I didn't notice it at the time and drove about 20 miles to a friend's house and parked it in their front driveway. Half an hour later I got the shock of my life when I looked out of their front room window and saw a totally distorted roof. What had happened was the stiffening bar within the canvas got stuck in the 'scissor lift' bars. After raising and then lowering the roof again the terribly bent, buckled and distorted roof returned to nearly normal. Fortunately it happened on the same side as the awning so the 'damage' can only be seen by getting up high and looking along and there is just a slight kink. I now always lower the roof in two stages, get out and check that the canvas is 'in' and push it in where necessary with the awning winding handle.Once the roof is half down and the canvas is 'in' at the rear and sides I then make sure that the front and front sides are in from the driving seat by keeping the slider open.

Have just had roof replaced for kink / bulge over right rear scissors! Garage have also changed roof bellows again! Whilst in garage new roof kinked in same place as before.
Also noticed another Cali in for servicing that had same issue but wasn't in for roof change?
Quality fault raised by garage, now awaiting outcome.
This fault is definately not attributable to closing with doors windows closed as all testing carried out within garage conditions and with doors and windows open!
So all of you out there with similar issues and their vans are still under waranty, please report them, then hopefully VW will modifiy / redesign, the roof structures so that this issue goes away. :headwall

I've just found a recurring problem on my 2011 Cali roof. Yet to. Take it into a dealer, as I haven't had a chance.

On the front raising strut, the small circlip on the pin which holds the strut to the raised roof panel (difficult to describe, I know) keeps coming off. So far I have been lucky enough to find it in the gutter when the roof is raised, but I fear that the pin may slide out completely, leaving the roof unsupported on one side. Has anyone else had this problem? :sad

Thanks,

CD

Hi GASF I have this slight kink in my Cali roof as I described on prev. post I also inherited quite a nasty kink /ripple at the rear from the previous owner which I didn't notice when I bought it. I'm only guessing, but I think this might have been caused by a mishap with bikes on the bike rack and the opening of the roof. I can see that this bump/ripple does now not give a good visible seal but in the last two years camping out for about 120 nights, 25% must have been raining, and driving sometimes in torrential rain conditions, I have yet to find any trace of a leak. Hope this helps you decide. Cheers The Viking.

Many thanks for all the advice and views. It does seem to be a common problem with some of the roof lids being replaced under warranty if they are within the warranty period. I think everyone has said that even if their roof is slightly bent or kinked it appears mainly to be only minor cosmetic damage which you don't really notice unless you are looking, doesn't affect the operation of the roof and doesn't result in leaks.

Therefore - does it matter if there is a minor bend or kink in the roof?

I will walk away if not satisfied but can anyone confirm that the roof lid doesn't seal with the top of the vehicle i.e the the rainwater is channelled away therefore preventing leaking

Yes there is a rubber seal around the edge of the roof panel. Don't know if there is any other method to prevent water ingress in the roof area.

One cause of the kinks you've seen is the canvas being trapped in the level mechanism when opening the pop-top....the mechanism jams but probably not before the roof is stressed- there will probably be damage to the canvas around the rear levers (holes/tears)

Thanks - so apart from minor cosmetic damage is there a problem? If a roof has these kinks in it does it work normally and keep the rain out?

Would be useful to know if it is a minor or a major problem.

Cheers.

I'm a member of the kink club unfortunately put there myself by leaving a paperback on the ledge above the wardrobe , pulled the roof bed down and didn't notice it was obstructed, lowered the roof which caused the kink in the roof, the roof open warning alerted me to the problem before driving off though.
To answer your question in 2 years of camping / washing etc I've never had any water leak in although i'd say when closed the rubber seal in the area of the kink is settled on the roof just annoying to look at.
keith

Gasf said:
Many thanks for all the advice and views. It does seem to be a common problem with some of the roof lids being replaced under warranty if they are within the warranty period. I think everyone has said that even if their roof is slightly bent or kinked it appears mainly to be only minor cosmetic damage which you don't really notice unless you are looking, doesn't affect the operation of the roof and doesn't result in leaks.

Therefore - does it matter if there is a minor bend or kink in the roof?

Unless you're going to get a REALLY good deal because of the kinked roof why take the risk?
There are plenty about at other dealers - there were 3 at Carrs Exeter the last time i was there, i wouldn't want to be spending big money on a cali with a kinked roof. Even if it didn't leak it would annoy me.
It's alright thinking you can get it replaced under warranty but by the sounds of your dealer they'll probably end up making it worse and be making endless trips to get it sorted.

Many thanks for the advice - very useful.

Will keep you posted on what happens next.

bend at the edge of the roof
I have VW california coast from 2019 , today I’m in the France Languedoc- Rousillon weather is beautifull , but today I’m notice a band on my edge of my roof and it’s spoiled my humour. Next week I’m going to visit VW dealer to make a complaint. Gortunately I have guarantee
bd221f992e804d86e16dec3360ffb489.jpg

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk