Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof closure in middle of night

Martynl123

Martynl123

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have just been away for a few nights and on the second night at the same place at 3.30am the roof suddenly sounded as if it was going to close/open for 15 seconds then stopped and did not do any thing else. Any body know why it would do this. Thanks.

They all do this - it is just the pump running for a few second to keep pressure in the rams that keep the roof up.

It will happen more if the temperature fluctuates due to the density of the liquid.

If it annoys you in the middle of the night then you can give it a "open" before you go to bed. It shouldn't need it every night.

If it is doing it very regularly you might have a slight leak - if it is just occasionally then it is normal.

T

Many thanks, this was the longest we had been in it so never had it before as only had Cali 8 weeks and all other times we have only been away for one night. The mrs thought if was going to shut on us....

Martynl123 said:
Many thanks, this was the longest we had been in it so never had it before as only had Cali 8 weeks and all other times we have only been away for one night. The mrs thought if was going to shut on us....

Happened to us a few weeks ago in Italy - scared the hell out of me but hilarious in hindsight!
Nothing quite like being woken with the impending doom of becoming a human sandwich in a camper roof bed! I wonder what would happen ....

In the morning I looked in the manual and there is a tiny note of this automatic readjustment.

Very funny but not at the time!

Martynl123 said:

I worry less about it as the kids use the roof bed :D

Back