Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Water torture

Bramco

Bramco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Drip, drip, drip in the middle of the night.

This last week was the first time we were away when the nights were still and there was a lot of dew.

On the first night, sleeping downstairs with our heads to the rear I was woken up about 2 or 3 am to a strange clicking sound, fortunately it stopped and I put it down to some weird expansion contraction issue due to the change in the temperature at night.

On the second night though it was a lot louder and went on for ages. Eventually I worked out that it was the dew collecting on the roof which was elevated and running down to the lowest point at the back and then dripping the 6 inches onto the body of the van. Remedy - shut the roof, or at least lower it.

Third night same again but not so bad and that's when I thought someone must have a fix for this on the forum. I have imagined pegs with bits of string attached for the water to run down rather than drip off but on looking in the morning you might need a few as there seems to be a number of places it can drip from. Maybe a strip of sponge to catch the drips?

I can't be the only one to have noticed this, so has anyone worked out the best way to stop the water torture?

Bottle of wine before bed works for us ;)

seriously havent noticed it though

dave and lisa

Did you have the heater on?

Only noticed dripping in heavy rain; which isn't unexpected.

Nope. No heater.

It's definitely drips off the back of the roof.

Bottle of wine does work but not for me. My wife uses ear plugs to cut out the noise of my snoring.....

Maybe I should go down that route.

Simon

Stick a topper on then it won't drip ;) and the canvas wont get wet.

Yeah I've noticed this mostly during or after rain or heavy condensation and am intending to spend some time on finding a quick and easy fix. I agree that a Topper would be a good fix but was thinking pegs and nylon or a strip of sponge or carpet or maybe something that 'extends' the drip points on the roof to overhang so the water slides down the tailgate or direct onto the floor (e.g. folded plastic that those thin chopping boards are made from). Let me know if you come up with something and I will likewise.

Of course there's ear plugs too but I'd rather not with twothree kids in the house.

Matt

Back