Who is experiencing roof corrosion after a repair

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Haven't checked yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
3. Contact Dominic Stephenson at VW customer services (who has been designated by VW Head Office as the point of contact within VWCS regarding Cali related issues) to inform him about your corrosion.

Two people at VWCS have told me that Dominic Stephenson has nothing to do with being a point of contact for Californias and can we remove his name.

Perhaps they could say who is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 2 conversations with VWCS this week.

Looks like I'll be making yet another trip to the stealer for what will be a third roof inspection- not happy to say the least.

Of course they are not aware of anyone having bubbling reoccurring after repair- I told them "they have now"
and told him of others on this forum.

My case is complicated because of the earlier repair carried out by a body shop that can't do the front panel repair. At first he wanted the raising section repair to be carried out by Listers (who did the first repair) and then have the Cali taken to one of the Famous Four for them do do the fixed section of the roof which is an absolutely stupid idea, I think I've talked them out of that idea.

Talking of the Famous Four he said there are now six but he could only name the four we already know about so who knows?

So the other people with bubbling that has come back it really is important that you report it to VWCS 0800 7834909 ASAP.

I can't believe it after all that you have been through. This is absolutely shocking that the repairs weren't tested before roll out.
Feel really sorry for you all.

I can't believe it after all that you have been through. This is absolutely shocking that the repairs weren't tested before roll out.
Feel really sorry for you all.

Have you checked both parts of your roof?

Have you checked both parts of your roof?
I haven't checked ours as we hoed we were late enough to be out pf trouble. I thin there's a plastic bit that stops metal to metal contact leading to an electromagnetic field.

Two people at VWCS have told me that Dominic Stephenson has nothing to do with being a point of contact for Californias and can we remove his name.
We have been instructed by VW Head Office Milton Keynes that Dominic Stephenson is the person dealing with the Cali Forum. I will contact Head Office on Monday to clarify the situation.

We have been instructed by VW Head Office Milton Keynes that Dominic Stephenson is the person dealing with the Cali Forum. I will contact Head Office on Monday to clarify the situation.

Ok, good luck.

I've had 2 conversations with VWCS this week.

Looks like I'll be making yet another trip to the stealer for what will be a third roof inspection- not happy to say the least.

Of course they are not aware of anyone having bubbling reoccurring after repair- I told them "they have now"
and told him of others on this forum.

My case is complicated because of the earlier repair carried out by a body shop that can't do the front panel repair. At first he wanted the raising section repair to be carried out by Listers (who did the first repair) and then have the Cali taken to one of the Famous Four for them do do the fixed section of the roof which is an absolutely stupid idea, I think I've talked them out of that idea.

Talking of the Famous Four he said there are now six but he could only name the four we already know about so who knows?

So the other people with bubbling that has come back it really is important that you report it to VWCS 0800 7834909 ASAP.

Hi Snowy55,
You are not alone!,
I have had the elevating roof resprayed twice due to corrosion.

First time was in Feb 2015 at Heritage Westbury.
Problem returned sometime in April 2015 and reported again.
Inspected in July, but then VW said it was Heritages fault and wouldn't allow a warranty claim.
VW eventually relented and it went back to Heritage early August 2015.

VWCS have been infuriating beyond belief.

I am expecting it to corrode again as they've done nothing to prevent it happening again.

Bit of a farce really, they could make a good start by removing the steel metal banding in the seal - try a magnet on your seal!

bumble vw roof corrosion.JPG

Hi Snowy55,
You are not alone!,
I have had the elevating roof resprayed twice due to corrosion.

First time was in Feb 2015 at Heritage Westbury.
Problem returned sometime in April 2015 and reported again.
Inspected in July, but then VW said it was Heritages fault and wouldn't allow a warranty claim.
VW eventually relented and it went back to Heritage early August 2015.

VWCS have been infuriating beyond belief.

I am expecting it to corrode again as they've done nothing to prevent it happening again.

Bit of a farce really, they could make a good start by removing the steel metal banding in the seal - try a magnet on your seal!

View attachment 11716

VWCS said that they'd never have heard about a reoccurrence of bubbling so including you , me and two others above then obviously there is defiantly something not correct in the repair process.
Yours repaired at Heritage, mine at Listers the two above at Shorade surely all 3 bodyshops aren't doing it incorrectly it must must be an inherent fault.
Yes I've tried a magnet on the seal and it must have a fair bit of iron in there because it's a very strong reaction.
The man I spoke to said that the first thing VW would say is that they did not do the job properly but all these other cases of repeat bubbling at numerous body shops scupper that argument.
Please keep an eye on this thread as I might need your reg number , by PM , to try and wake VWCS up and prove it os not just isolated cases.

Surely VW won't continue with the huge expense of the current program when the penny drops that they are wasting everyone's time?

I'm not saying they'll walk away from it, just that they need to find a real solution and not waste millions on a failed process.

Launch an all out attack on VW's FB with pictures and dealer's name. If and when this might happen to me, well this is what I would do as well: Mix - United Breaks Guitars:

Launch an all out attack on VW's FB with pictures and dealer's name. If and when this might happen to me, well this is what I would do as well: Mix - United Breaks Guitars:
How about a Cali meet at VW UK head office, I'm sure we could get some press coverage.

How do aircraft manufacturers prevent corrosion on aircraft? They last for more than thirty years!

Had a look at mine over the weekend. Not sure what to make of it. Not the same bubbles as before but some rough areas as if it's lots of tiny bubbles that have burst.
Repair was done by Heritage about a year ago. On a positive note the front section looks fine.
301ee1cf2ebdf8dbe3963e100602b670.jpg
154b3fe955af31b86436ba56204a1786.jpg
423354de7bd1af295ca04709c87e2a66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do aircraft manufacturers prevent corrosion on aircraft? They last for more than thirty years!
The California suffers " bimetallic corrosion " between the steel in the rubber seal and the aluminium of the elevating roof in the presence of water.
Not many aircraft have these sort of seals etc: also they do cost substantially more than a California.:thumb

This is such a worry. Our 2012 Cali is on 'the list' and due in sometime this year for the repai.

i have no confidence this is being resolved, the repair - to the main roof at least - is simply masking the issue, no fixing it. Sounds as though the warranted repair is simply reprinting the roof and not eliminating the fundamental problem.

I didn't realise the roof seal was contributing to corrosion, but if it is then vw should be coming up with some replacement seal as well as any repair.
I've always regularly removed and thoroughly cleaned the roof seals, but it hasn't prevented the corrosion problem. They do seem to suffer with collecting water and dirt which causes green algae to form.

Sounds like an alt alternative seal is certainly needed as the current one isn't 'fit for purpose'

I agree with others here, if you can make an aeroplane last 30 plus years why can't one of the biggest motor vehicle manufacturers make resolve the corrosion issue. It's a premium value vehicle this is wholly unacceptable.

Slightly different market, but the series 1 Lotus Elise has had similar issues. In this case the aluminium floor corrodes under rubber floor mats glued into place in the footwell. Lotus now replace the rubber mats with a breathable material to eliminate moisture build up under warranty even on vehicles up to 8 years old.

More recently there are signs of corrosion at the suspension mounting points due to bimetallic corrosion between the aluminium chassis and steel shims used in the suspension.

You may ask why do I mention this, but I thought it might be useful for Cali owners to see how customers have dealt with a similar issue with another manufacturer. There is plenty of info about it if you do a quick search on the web.

Seems my first message has been deleted?
So for the record
Completed by Heritage August 2015
No signs of bubbling yet on either roof under the seal or front panel, still quite a recent repair however.

Are all repair garages gluing the rubber seal down?

I can't see how different garages are using different methods if they are all following the official 'Repair Guidelines'?

Are all repair garages gluing the rubber seal down?

I can't see how different garages are using different methods if they are all following the official 'Repair Guidelines'?

Have a look at this thread
http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-corrosion-2nd-time-survey.12855/

It does seem odd that there are different ways to do the same job.

The response to these two threads has been very disappointing given the number of repaired roofs out there.

If it is true that Vw are sticking to the 6 year warranty cut off and despite multiple repairs to a roof and recurrence of blistering they will do no more repairs, so after 6 years you pay for your own repairs!!!

Last edited:
When my lifting roof was done in Aug 14, speaking to the actual repair shop, I got the impression it was they who had to guarantee the repair, not VW. So, I assume these secondary repairs will be at the cost of the repair shop. (This assumes independent repair shops are used).
Of the survey returns so far, it looks like mine is the only one that used tape!

When my lifting roof was done in Aug 14, speaking to the actual repair shop, I got the impression it was they who had to guarantee the repair, not VW. So, I assume these secondary repairs will be at the cost of the repair shop. (This assumes independent repair shops are used).
Of the survey returns so far, it looks like mine is the only one that used tape!

Yes, the repairing body shop are responsible for any repaints, the trouble is my repairing body shop are saying they carried out the work in accordance with Vw approved methods and materials therefore it's Vw who should pay because either the materials Vw specify aren't correct or the roof now has corrosion embedded in it that blisters up again.
All the body shops are independent, so its going to get very messy.