Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 193 37.3%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 78 15.1%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.7%

• Total voters
Thanks for update it is mad considering the old type repair last a max of 2 weeks !!!! bet it has been sat in a corner of the workship with no working taking place. Are they looking after your leasure battery's during the time away

Phoned VWCS this morning again wanting an update. My agent is busy, usual reply when your chasing them.

That’s a very good point.
I’m wondering if the bodyshop have had enough of the repairs and yes mine is sitting in the corner somewhere collecting dust

Finally.
Work complete and vehicle due back tomorrow morning at my local dealership.

Fingers crossed i have it back by lunchtime, then its onto a thorough inspection...!!!

I emailed VW regarding the roof seal on elevating roof being bonded on my VW as part of the repair carried out, this is the response:

I am delighted to hear the repairs to your vehicle have been completed and that you are happy with the levels of work carried out. I have spoken with my colleagues regarding the seal bonded to the roof of your vehicle and it has been confirmed bonding the seal to the roof is part of the correct repair procedure.

The reason why the seal is not bonded to the roof on the T6 California, is due to the new models not experiencing the same issue with corrosion on the pop up roof.

Once again, thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention and for allowing me the opportunity to respond

I don’t understand the reply from Vw . It’s wrong . The factory in Hanover had just started putting an insulating tape ( probably 3M ) on the edge of Cali roof with a hand roller tool prior to fitting seal Easter 2017 . I’ve just picked some up today from Vw main agent . The rubber seal is put on with a mallet , no bond .

9AAD5F45-EBB8-40F7-831F-5A9671B9CBFB.jpeg

....my personal opinion is that the bonding of the rubber seal is not a VW approved action , just something done by the 3th party repairshop some UK VW dealers use .

Would like to see a official VW approval on this....

One thing i know for sure , not any VW or 3th party bodyshop is bonding my seal , if it ever should come to a repair!

The tape VW sell as part of the roof parts list is only 15 mm wide which is why I went for the 25 mm wide 3M tape, I now have 4 rolls which I cannot use due to the roof seal being bonded.

If you are optimistic you may think the bonding agent will keep out the water and solve the problem, but if you are cynical (like me) you may think that it is now bonded to prevent future re inspection. If bonding the seal really does solve the problem why do VW not bond the roof seals on the new T6 elevating roofs???

I have written to VW to seek clarification on the repair procedure requirements.

Hi, have you still got the tape? I might be interested in buying it. Regards Scott.

So, still no van...!!!
After lots of phone calls this week. VWCS promised it would be back with me lunchtime today as I need it for a weekend away this weekend.

By 2pm it was apparently still at the bodyshop. After lots of angry calls etc etc. The dealership explained it won’t get to them in time before closing, so they have arranged delivery to my house this evening.
Well it’s past 7pm and I’m still waiting.

This is perhaps some of the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. To top it off, the blame isn’t with the dealership but VWCS.

So, still no van...!!!
After lots of phone calls this week. VWCS promised it would be back with me lunchtime today as I need it for a weekend away this weekend.

By 2pm it was apparently still at the bodyshop. After lots of angry calls etc etc. The dealership explained it won’t get to them in time before closing, so they have arranged delivery to my house this evening.

This is perhaps some of the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. To top it off, the blame isn’t with the dealership but VWCS.

Which body shop?

So, still no van...!!!

Totally unacceptable. The very least they should do is pay for a holiday as compensation.
I think VWCS UK must be staffed by the least professional staff dealing with California customers Any dealings I would have would be with my dealer who I have total confidence in rather than VWCS.

Finally back at 8:30pm.
Can’t inspect as it’s to dark, but can see some kind of white resin on the roof. Not sure what it is.
Will be checking first thing

Finally back at 8:30pm.
Can’t inspect as it’s to dark, but can see some kind of white resin on the roof. Not sure what it is.
Will be checking first thing
hope all is well for you

Well folks .
Finally after 2 years ( partly my fault because we’ve been away sailing for 4 months in the summer for the last 2 years ) I received a new roof seal which appears to be perfect .( You may recall a while ago I published high magnification photos of my original corroded roof seal and a second new seal with numerous areas of exposed metal inside ) . I’ve fitted it today and will keep a close eye on it .

There are so many with the roof problems that you feel all of the T5 suffer from the corrosion mine is coming up 4 years old in January 18 and have just cleaned and checked it again this week and I do not have the problem as far as I can tell, am I just lucky or has mine got a modified practice which has worked mine was built in December.

....my personal opinion is that the bonding of the rubber seal is not a VW approved action , just something done by the 3th party repairshop some UK VW dealers use .

Would like to see a official VW approval on this....

One thing i know for sure , not any VW or 3th party bodyshop is bonding my seal , if it ever should come to a repair!

VW have said it is the approved procedure and confirmed that by email. If you do reject bonding of the seal VW may refuse the repair warranty? I would interested to know if there are any recent repairs that are not bonded.

Unfortunately VW cannot be trusted, very sad.

There are so many with the roof problems that you feel all of the T5 suffer from the corrosion mine is coming up 4 years old in January 18 and have just cleaned and checked it again this week and I do not have the problem as far as I can tell, am I just lucky or has mine got a modified practice which has worked mine was built in December.

Presume you have removed the seal to check?

Any news on yours? I've heard nothing, over 2 weeks now.
Just coming up to 2 weeks. They had it for over 2 weeks in August. At least I've got a new Cali as a replacement vehicle.
I'll let you know as soon as I have news.

Back