Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof corrosion repair on newly bought Cali miss sale

T

treeboy

VIP Member
Hi,
I have just bought my first Cali that was advertised for sale on this site an 06 plate with only 50k on the clock!
My problem is that I had a quick look at the roof and asked the seller if he had had any problems with blistering and he said not!
I get it home to find tell tale signs of overspray on the gutter!!

The seller does not want to know and I feel let down, is it a big problem or can this section be repaired ok rather than replaced.
I paid £26500 for the Cali and am a bit upset or is it not a big deal?

Any help or advice would be greatful?

I would feel the same , Dealer or Private sale. I guess private. Known fault, so my advise (which is after the fact, sorry) Given a known major issue - Go over prior to parting with cash with a magnifying glass or independant inspection.
Enjoy your Cali, most of us will be driving around for years with roof corrosion before it is fixed before I had it I looked every week now I have it (admittedly on the repair WATING list) I now don't look at the roof area unless washing our van.

PS. You could try your local van centre and see if there is any record of an early VW repair on your Cali,s medical history which has now falied.

Is it the elevating roof or the front section?

If the seller deliberately withheld information then you could have redress. A "cover over"| is clear evidence of prior knowledge being deliberately undisclosed.

It is sickening when this happens. I feel for you.

If the seller deliberately withheld information then you could have redress. A "cover over"| is clear evidence of prior knowledge being deliberately undisclosed.

Thanks !
Is it the elevating roof or the front section?
It is the front section elevating roof section appears ok.

Thanks for advise I am waiting for a reply from seller, at this stage I just want to know what the problem was and maybe a bit of compensation !
PS. You could try your local van centre and see if there is any record of an early VW repair on your Cali,s medical history which has now falied.
Thanks for help, I know I should of checked more thoroughly , but was so excited about getting one and they appeared a genuine honest couple!!

Whatever happens I hope it works out for you. The cali is a brilliant vehicle, I hope you get lots of miles and lots of smiles with it.

Whatever happens I hope it works out for you. The cali is a brilliant vehicle, I hope you get lots of miles and lots of smiles with it.
Heard back from previous owner and paint work is due to carpark barrier and not corrosion and I would like to believe this, I guess time will tell!

This kind of thing is one of the reasons not to buy vehicles privately, much reduced consumer legislation protection.
Buy from a garage and you get a lot more protection, that's why you pay more.

What additional protection do you think there would be in this instance by buying from a garage? it sounds to me as if someone has picked up a scrape in the paint on the panel above the windscreen and had it repaired, that doesn't sound unreasonable on an 8 year old vehicle. I nearly scraped mine the other night, it was a 2m barrier but it had a padlock hanging down in the middle, not easy to spot when its dark & raining.

What additional protection do you think there would be in this instance by buying from a garage? it sounds to me as if someone has picked up a scrape in the paint on the panel above the windscreen and had it repaired, that doesn't sound unreasonable on an 8 year old vehicle. I nearly scraped mine the other night, it was a 2m barrier but it had a padlock hanging down in the middle, not easy to spot when its dark & raining.
Yes I am glad that it was just a scrape and the sellers did appear honest, then I read about all the roof problems and put 2 and 2 together and made 5. I am pleased with the rest of the van. I guess they just wanted it to look good for sale.

Very unlikely that an 8 yr old vehicle doesn't have the odd ding or scrape. As has been said the owners probably wanted to get it in the best condition possible for sale. Pity the Body Shop they used weren't quit so careful in masking up.
I'm sure you will enjoy it in the coming months. Now forget it and get the map books out.:bananadance2

Hi, seems a plausible reason for the spray job - not every Cali has roof corrosion. Congrats anyway on picking a great vehicle, like Welshgas said "forget it now and use it". :thumb

Very unlikely that an 8 yr old vehicle doesn't have the odd ding or scrape. As has been said the owners probably wanted to get it in the best condition possible for sale. Pity the Body Shop they used weren't quit so careful in masking up.
I'm sure you will enjoy it in the coming months. Now forget it and get the map books out.:bananadance2
Cannot wait ;-)

Thanks cannot wait ;-)