Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this normal after roof corrosion repair?

The seal around my roof cap is now as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. Taking it into Breeze Totton later this week for them to resolve
20180803_082323.jpg
20180803_082328.jpg

That looks like they sprayed it with plastidip instead of using the clear tape.
I don’t think there is any clear tape on that area, the rear of the front, above windscreen, Panel. On the Elevating Roof section yes, but that is a different seal.

I have clear tape there but only about 6-8 inches in from each side, I thought @Vw guru posted a picture of clear tape there also recently.

yes he did, see the first photo here; Just announced - T6 recall for roof corrosion beneath the seal
Originally there was no tape there. Just painted metal.
This looks like an Original repair, not the plastic cap repair, and someone has put black tape over that area which has worn through.
If the OP goes in for the New Recall then that should be removed and the Clear Foil applied in that area.

Last edited:
Thanks all for sharing. Little concerned that new tape isn't going to do the job as the plastic cap has started to lift as the seal is so far gone. I will update you all when Breeze totton have finished with it.

Quick update on the roof cap seal. As the recall was done less than 3 yrs ago and needs to go back in to the bodyshop that originally did the recall (Claridges in Southport) 232miles north of me. Nice chap at totton breeze has said that it will be a different type of fix as opposed to the original. I will update you all with pics as soon as I have it back.

Update from Breeze Totton - "The Bodyshop is Currently awaiting instructions from the warranty side of Volkswagen due to the fault with the cap is down to the repair method rather than the workmanship, they have confirmed it will need a new cap but can not proceed until they have been given the go ahead from Volkswagen, once they get the authority to carry out the repair it will take approximately 2 weeks to complete the repair."

Will keep you posted

Update from VW Totton Breeze
"The update is that they have begun the repair all being well they should hopefully have the repair completed by the end of next week, The repair is different to how it was done last time as other California customers are experiencing the same issue, once completed they will need to arrange transport with the AA to get the vehicle back down to us."

As soon as I have it back I will upload some pics.

At long last I now have my Cali back. VW Breeze totton had said that VW know this is an issue and informed me that this is the latest revised fix to overcome the problem. Front roof panel removed and re sealed.
20190119_090432.jpg 20190119_090432.jpg 20190119_090437.jpg 20190119_090453.jpg 20190119_090500.jpg 20190119_090640.jpg

Not a happy bunny. With all the rain we've been having the issue has come back. Pulled out of the drive yesterday. When I come to a stop I could hear the water run down the drivers side A pillar and water come in and leaked on the floor. Water escaped halfway down the pillar. On a good point the work done in Jan has a 3 year warranty. VW Breeze Totton see you soon :)

Driver Side 2.jpg

Drivers Side 1.jpg

Passanger Side.jpg

That's not too good.
Could it be that they haven't connected the roof drainage pipe up?
although if not, the water would've just drained into the a pillar whilst
stationary.

That's not too good.
Could it be that they haven't connected the roof drainage pipe up?
although if not, the water would've just drained into the a pillar whilst
stationary.
After it happened I checked the pipes weren't clogged up but nope, water ran freely and come out as it should in the wheel arches.

I will keep the post update when I know more from breeze

Same problem here. Three attempts last year to seal it and OK until last week. Water now pouring in again. Got the A pillar trims off and headlining down to check that the drain tubes are OK (which they are) so back in AGAIN tomorrow. Ferries booked next month so hope they get it sorted quickly but completely lost confidence in their ability to sort it long term. This and other problems have put us off getting another Cali even though we love the van.

Same problem here. Three attempts last year to seal it and OK until last week. Water now pouring in again. Got the A pillar trims off and headlining down to check that the drain tubes are OK (which they are) so back in AGAIN tomorrow. Ferries booked next month so hope they get it sorted quickly but completely lost confidence in their ability to sort it long term. This and other problems have put us off getting another Cali even though we love the van.
Yeah this is also putting me off getting another. We are driving to Croatia on Saturday so its going to have to wait until our return. Top tip black electrical tape provides a good temp fix :cool:

Mine is done too, and is now sealed at the front. Didn't like it at the beginning, but now I am used to it.
On the other hand, no flies and dirt can get in the gap anymore.
Sometimes it was a bit of a struggle to clean that gap good.

Up to now, no water infiltration. So I don't want any fiddling around my roof at the moment.

Back to the dealer today. Confirmed that the sealer has cracked. Got to go in again for the fourth time. In the meantime I'm going to sesl the holes so that we can use it. Lost enough time with it already.

My god, we really need GOOD bodyshops!

Done a temporary (or perhaps even permanent) fix today. Filled all the cracks/holes in the sealer round the cover and then covered the back part of the cover with insulation tape. Had the hose on it for about half an hour and then it been raining for a couple of hours and so far no leaks so at least we can use the van. Now got it back in the garage so as soon as it's dried off I'm going to put helicopter tape over the repairs on the rear edge of the plastic cover as well. I think what has happened is that the front seal on the elevating roof has not been put on correctly. The picture shows where you can see the edge of the metal leaving a bulge in the seal. (same both sides) I think this bulge has been rubbing on the sealer on the plastic cover and worn it through as it corresponds to where the cracks/holes are in the sealer. As the elevating roof sealer is bonded on I can't get back in the correct position so it will have wait for VW to sort it.
I never looked at the actual roof as I didn't think it relevant to the leaks but it is the probable cause.
So if you have had your roof repaired just check that the seal is on correctly hopefully to avoid this problem.

Some of the holes in the sealer on the rear of the plastic cover.
P1000680.JPG

The roof seal not on correctly making it bulge outwards.
P1000676.JPG

Done a temporary (or perhaps even permanent) fix today. Filled all the cracks/holes in the sealer round the cover and then covered the back part of the cover with insulation tape. Had the hose on it for about half an hour and then it been raining for a couple of hours and so far no leaks so at least we can use the van. Now got it back in the garage so as soon as it's dried off I'm going to put helicopter tape over the repairs on the rear edge of the plastic cover as well. I think what has happened is that the front seal on the elevating roof has not been put on correctly. The picture shows where you can see the edge of the metal leaving a bulge in the seal. (same both sides) I think this bulge has been rubbing on the sealer on the plastic cover and worn it through as it corresponds to where the cracks/holes are in the sealer. As the elevating roof sealer is bonded on I can't get back in the correct position so it will have wait for VW to sort it.
I never looked at the actual roof as I didn't think it relevant to the leaks but it is the probable cause.
So if you have had your roof repaired just check that the seal is on correctly hopefully to avoid this problem.

Some of the holes in the sealer on the rear of the plastic cover.
View attachment 46244

The roof seal not on correctly making it bulge outwards.
View attachment 46243
What is that first picture? Need some bigger picture to find out.

It's a picture of the rear of the plastic cover with the holes in the sealer.

How come you have water inside? This is just outside?
Where did you see the water coming in?

No it isnt outside. Under the plastic cover its open to the headlining and whst remains of the original roof. The water runs forwards and collects on the headling where it meets the windscreen. It then can drip directly down or run down the inside of the A pillar trim then behind the dash and onto the floor soaking the carpet. It can also gather on the front centre of the headling and if not stopped can get into the control panel and possibly wreck it so its not something to be taken lightly.