Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof dimensions

K

kingtut

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out how to mount solar panels when I get my Cali, and what panels to get. Does anyone have any dimensions available for the roof? Specifically, I'm looking for:-
- Gap between roof rack rails/gutters, and length of these (i.e. maximum distance from one end to the other if using roof rack mounts)
- Maximum length/width of the roof - i.e. if I silkaflex'd over the rails any everything, and used every last square inch of the roof (excluding the bits which seem to stick out at the sides)

I _think_ I can fit at least 240W of panels, and maybe just over 300W depending on a couple of dimensions and how I decide to mount the panels. I expect to use quite a bit of electricity, and plan to camp either wild or in very basic campsites a lot for multiple days without hookup. I'm looking at using wind as well, but the more solar I can fit the better.

Cheers,

Ian

Blimey that’s a lot of power generation, are you sure you’re going to need one that big? The cali is pretty frugal and will last three or four days on it’s own batteries 2 x 75Ah if you need more juice in them take her for a spin around the block. If you really wanted to go down the solar route I’m guessing a small 60w panel would be enough.

Ian

Have also been considering doing this, warranty runs out next year.
One of our members has two panels on his cali mounted on a frame that locates in the roof channels. I see he is no longer active & can not see his photos.

Don't know how old your cali is but bw aware this will probably invalidate the electrical side of your warranty.

Haven't actually bought one yet (in fact, haven't actually taken my driving test yet :) ), but am planning in advance. I'm planning to sell my flat, take 12-18 months off work, and live in the Cali while I travel around Europe and Morrocco.

I've a high-power laptop I need for work, plus will be running satellite broadband (vastly cheaper than 3G when downloading a lot). Also toying with taking a pico projector, and a large USB HDD enclosure. Current worst-case estimates have me drawing around 80-100Ah/day (although most days I'd expect to be more like 30-40Ah). I plan to set up camp in some places for 2-14 days at a time, so going for a drive won't be ideal, and you get very rapidly diminishing returns - a short drive will likely recharge your battery from 50% to 75%, but you'll need a much longer drive to get the next 25%.

Even in the summer, 300W of solar in London will (I think!) only get around 70Ah of elec a day on average (Madrid, by contrast, peaks at around 92Ah/day). By October that drops to 18Ah/day, hence the need for wind. The way I figure it, I may as well put as much solar as I can fit on the roof - there's no penalty (other than capital outlay) to having too much...

I may get a generator as well, but that's not efficient when only charging a couple of batteries (most generators, at efficient rpm, deliver more power than the batteries can accept, and so have to run at less efficient speeds). Also not convinced how much more efficient a generator is vs using the engine alternator, and the beauty with diesel is that you can carry a couple of Jerry cans of it with you.

Good call on the warranty. I've read the manuals, and it says don't connect solar via the 12V DC sockets (probably due to current issues), but doesn't say anything against connecting direct to batteries. Would expect problems with VW anyway - so current plan is to buy a Cali that's near end of warranty, get it serviced/MOTd just before warranty is up (so I can get fixes if needed), and only then mod it.

kingtut said:
Haven't actually bought one yet (in fact, haven't actually taken my driving test yet :) ), but am planning in advance. I'm planning to sell my flat, take 12-18 months off work, and live in the Cali while I travel around Europe and Morrocco.

I've a high-power laptop I need for work, plus will be running satellite broadband (vastly cheaper than 3G when downloading a lot). Also toying with taking a pico projector, and a large USB HDD enclosure. Current worst-case estimates have me drawing around 80-100Ah/day (although most days I'd expect to be more like 30-40Ah). I plan to set up camp in some places for 2-14 days at a time, so going for a drive won't be ideal, and you get very rapidly diminishing returns - a short drive will likely recharge your battery from 50% to 75%, but you'll need a much longer drive to get the next 25%.

Even in the summer, 300W of solar in London will (I think!) only get around 70Ah of elec a day on average (Madrid, by contrast, peaks at around 92Ah/day). By October that drops to 18Ah/day, hence the need for wind. The way I figure it, I may as well put as much solar as I can fit on the roof - there's no penalty (other than capital outlay) to having too much...

I may get a generator as well, but that's not efficient when only charging a couple of batteries (most generators, at efficient rpm, deliver more power than the batteries can accept, and so have to run at less efficient speeds). Also not convinced how much more efficient a generator is vs using the engine alternator, and the beauty with diesel is that you can carry a couple of Jerry cans of it with you.

Good call on the warranty. I've read the manuals, and it says don't connect solar via the 12V DC sockets (probably due to current issues), but doesn't say anything against connecting direct to batteries. Would expect problems with VW anyway - so current plan is to buy a Cali that's near end of warranty, get it serviced/MOTd just before warranty is up (so I can get fixes if needed), and only then mod it.

Yes, you need solar!
I am looking at the same solution and ideally with a flexible roof mount panel.
Whereas I can understand VW putting warranty constraints about not adding solar power in a way that could damage electrics and invalidate warranties this is hardly rocket science and it can be done perfectly safely. I guess a removable solution is definitely good so a low profile framework that safely affixes the roof would probably be best. Not sure how to get cabling down but I managed this easily on a fixed roof T5 (that I still have but will soon be selling) - there is a grommet just inside the rear door seal and the wires get in there - easy & safe. doing this to a Cali however requires some thought. I can see a member called Pirat did something along these lines but cant see the pics.
welcome anybody else's ideas but I will get a solution together one way or another and without warranty threatening issues.