Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof rails for pop top to mount solar panels to.

T

tandem2

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I have a Reimo pop top and want to mount 2 solar panels on it.
Looking for advice on what rail tracks are available to bolt to the roof.
I have no need to fit a roof rack on the track. I understand that the roof is rated for 40 kilos the solar panels weigh considerably less.
I have found that t track on eBay seems to stop at 48 inches 122cm. The 2 panels next to each other measure 49.5 inches 126cm.
Looked at some airline track or L track I have some internally in the van to move the Rock and roll bed but it is not surface mount type. Rather the flush type routed into the wooden flooring.
Does anyone know of a uk supplier of suitable track.
I can find it in Germany but the carriers won't deliver to the Uk as the track is 3990mm long.
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no need to fit a roof rack on the track. I understand that the roof is rated for 40 kilos the solar panels weigh considerably less.
I have found that t track on eBay seems to stop at 48 inches 122cm. The 2 panels next to each other measure 49.5 inches 126cm.
Looked at some airline track or L track I have some internally in the van to move the Rock and roll bed but it is not surface mount type. Rather the flush type routed into the wooden flooring.
I can find it in Germany but the carriers won't deliver to the Uk as the track is 3990mm long.
Cheers

Have a look at Kari Tek roof rail systems,

If the underside of the roof is not accessible (ie 1 side elevating roof), then attach using wellnuts:

Last edited:
Cheers

Is there a particular reason you want to fix the panels using a rail system?
Most conversions using fibreglass roofs seem to just bond the panels to the roof using Silkaflex adhesive.

The California seems to have rails as standard.
Speaking to Roger about one of his systems they are fitted to a frame so I needed to be able to mount it to the roof.
Reading some of the forum posts people who have glued panels to the roof have had problems when the air has expanded under the panel.
Also since the panels are less efficient when hot I thought the gap under the panel would be preferable.
If we are in Europe I thought the panel glued to the roof would get the upstairs too hot.
I have looked at electrical uni track as that is available in stainless steel.

The items I found first were the following
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ankerpun...n-System-Airlineschiene-Racefoxx/283535233688
a german company https://www.loadrestraint24.com/search/?q=kerl+500 has the equivalent at much better prices
they have bolts that will fit in airline track

then enough length for 2 panels

The electrical track was from https://directchannel.uk.com/unistr...ange-a4/Unistrut-Type-Stainless-steel-channel

The California seems to have rails as standard.
Speaking to Roger about one of his systems they are fitted to a frame so I needed to be able to mount it to the roof.
Reading some of the forum posts people who have glued panels to the roof have had problems when the air has expanded under the panel.
Also since the panels are less efficient when hot I thought the gap under the panel would be preferable.
If we are in Europe I thought the panel glued to the roof would get the upstairs too hot.
I have looked at electrical uni track as that is available in stainless steel.

Those who convert their T6s dont seem to have a problem fixing panels directly to thei fibreglass elevating roofs.

They'll always be more efficient bolted on with some air gap, and they are a lot easier to replace in the event of a problem. I sell stick on kits too, but I'd always bolt on given the choice.

R

Can confirm on my T25 had a panel without an air gap which failed quite quickly during a hot summer in the first year and had to be replaced. I changed it to a non sealed installation and it was fine for years.

... I stopped selling stick on panels a year ago. Should tell you what you need to know.

Back