Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof fault alarm and now not opening ....

Thats a shame, not sure i'm brave enough to try what you suggest and i haven't got a wiring diagram. But thanks anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to clear the code from the panel?
did you find an answer to this? I'm dealing with the exact same problem at the moment. thanks

This sounds as if it may be due to sensors on the rams. There has been discussion on other threads and @Lambeth Cali wrote up how he changed his and solved the problem. Try searching for hall sensors.

This might help.

Sounds like this is a common problem...I can't clear the error code 1000 as there is no option to reset. I checked the fuse for the display unit.. Nothing changed. VW Liverpool replaced a roof strut several months ago and it's only been used twice since then. Reluctant to take it back there as it's incredibly expensive. A £5000 Kia comes with a 7 year warranty, these fragile sensors should be sorted by VW, I think!!

Sounds like this is a common problem...I can't clear the error code 1000 as there is no option to reset. I checked the fuse for the display unit.. Nothing changed. VW Liverpool replaced a roof strut several months ago and it's only been used twice since then. Reluctant to take it back there as it's incredibly expensive. A £5000 Kia comes with a 7 year warranty, these fragile sensors should be sorted by VW, I think!!
So your vehicle is less than 7 yrs old?
Most of the vehicles that have this problem seem to be older than 7 yrs.

How to Replace Roof Sensors
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/how-to-replace-roof-sensors.40430/

Error 1000 seems to be problems related to roof raising rams. In many cases with vans of our age it seems to be the roof sensors that speak to the rams. Over time water gets in and they break.
The above link tells you what I did to fix for about £100 including tools. If you go down the VW garage route it will be very very expensive.

Last edited:
So your vehicle is less than 7 yrs old?
Most of the vehicles that have this problem seem to be older than 7 yrs.
No, mine is 10 years old, but it cost a lot more than a Kia! Only 75000 miles on the clock and has already cost over £10,000 in repairing faults.

No, mine is 10 years old, but it cost a lot more than a Kia! Only 75000 miles on the clock and has already cost over £10,000 in repairing faults.
I see. Commiserations. Mines almost 8 yrs old, 107,000 miles and I haven’t spent anything on repairs only services, tyres and brake pads.