Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof leak 1.5yrs after recall section "not fixed"

T

Traveller1977

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all VW California owners,

I am looking for some advice (and possibly Legal advice if anyone knows anyone) because it has been a very stressful year with our California.
Our Cali was booked in over a year ago for the repair on the front panel with the roof recall we all know about. It was supposedly fixed, yet we found the roof leaked. So it went back for a repair to a different body shop, and it still leaked.
It went to another Van Centre where they believed they could fix the issue, new roof/bellows, still leaked. Back and forth approx 8-10 times with various offers of "ah this is the problem" etc......when finally, towards the end of 2017 it appeared the problem had been fixed.
Then, we found water coming in from what looked like the join between the roof and the front panel, all down the driver and passenger side staining the fabric internally and possibly causing damage to the internal metal columns under the fabric. It is now away again to another/different bodyshop where they have advised the original repair to the front panel was not carried out correctly, and now claim to be able to fix the problem, and replace the internal fabric. However our issue is we are unsure of any other damage this could have caused during the year the repair was not done correctly, and the potential resale of the vehicle could be reduced because of this issue. Plus we use the vehicle a lot for events, holidays and we have had to change lots of plans at additional cost because we have not managed to use the Cali as we wanted.
Does anyone know if we have a claim under the Consumer Goods Act 2015 and that over 1 year of trying to repair the vehicle this is too long. It was originally purchased from a VW Van Centre and all processes have been carried out with VW directly.
Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Have you checked the drain holes are not blocked?

I feel your pain.
I’m having problems with my repair and currently awaiting Coventry Van Centre to call with a repair date, on VWCS request. It’s been over a week and still nothing has been sorted.
It will be an interesting conversation with VWCS when they call me tomorrow as I’m fast running out of patience.

The service department at Coventry Listers Van Centre is absolutely shambolic...!!!

Have you checked the drain holes are not blocked?
Hi Vale46, yes the drainage holes were blown through, however when I first advised the Van Centre of the drainage holes their response was "There are no drainage holes/we cannot find them" when I then showed them the location of them from helpful posts on this forum, they cleared them. The roof still leaked.
It's more the fact that we have had the van go back and forth for over a year, not being able to use the van, not being given a replacement Cali to use whilst away (as it is more of a functional vehicle than just a car) and having to advise VW how to potentially fix the issue. And we are 1 year on and it's still not fixed. I know under an Act there is a reasonable amount of time a dealer has to repair something, but what is reasonable? And would we have grounds to now demand either a replacement or the value of the vehicle? I am unsure of the Law on this?
Good luck to anyone else experiencing the Roof recall issue.....

Hi Vale46, yes the drainage holes were blown through, however when I first advised the Van Centre of the drainage holes their response was "There are no drainage holes/we cannot find them" when I then showed them the location of them from helpful posts on this forum, they cleared them. The roof still leaked.
It's more the fact that we have had the van go back and forth for over a year, not being able to use the van, not being given a replacement Cali to use whilst away (as it is more of a functional vehicle than just a car) and having to advise VW how to potentially fix the issue. And we are 1 year on and it's still not fixed. I know under an Act there is a reasonable amount of time a dealer has to repair something, but what is reasonable? And would we have grounds to now demand either a replacement or the value of the vehicle? I am unsure of the Law on this?
Good luck to anyone else experiencing the Roof recall issue.....
Citizens Advice should be able to advise.

I am not qualified to give legal or financial advice but our member @andyinluton will help..

As for the drains, if they were "blown out" that can cause the pipes to be blown off behind the trim...

I am not qualified to give legal or financial advice but our member @andyinluton will help..

As for the drains, if they were "blown out" that can cause the pipes to be blown off behind the trim...
Sorry, when I say "Blown out" I mean they were unblocked as far as I am aware using the method as described within this forum. Using the air pressure canisters or with a low pressure hose so as not to blow any seals, and not using metal wire because of the 90degree kink somewhere in the loop.
Having said that I wasn't there when they did the unblocking, have to trust the van centre I guess they do the correct job. I think where the second leak is now coming from it isn't related to the drainage holes or further down, because it's half way along the drivers and passengers door (in line with where the roof seals)

Agree, the design of the joints between sections of the drain pipe is nothing more than one tube slid over the other and very easy to dislodge, especially if the garage don't take care.

Thanks for all the help so far. I can confirm that it hasn't anything to do with the drainage holes, the current repair centre have confirmed the "new leak" is coming from the RCBR (Front Cap) as it was not sealed correctly and not fitted flush. If someone could please let me know how to get in contact with @andyinluton I would very much appreciate it. Thanks,

Thanks for all the help so far. I can confirm that it hasn't anything to do with the drainage holes, the current repair centre have confirmed the "new leak" is coming from the RCBR (Front Cap) as it was not sealed correctly and not fitted flush. If someone could please let me know how to get in contact with @andyinluton I would very much appreciate it. Thanks,
If you are a VIP member then you can send a personal message, otherwise you'll just have to wait and hope he reads this thread/post.

@Traveller1977 did you get a resolution to this cowl leak issue?

Back